Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 05:10 PM

334 posts, read 520,542 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I are taking a few days in your area and are looking for suggestions for things to see/do. part of the reason for coming out is just a change of scenery from the frozen tundra of MN, the other part is we would eventually like to possibly move out there (not anytime soon unfortunately).

so to clarify 1: what to see or do with a day or two of time (realizing that it will be different because 'rona) and 2: as far as moving out there, we definitely do NOT want to be in the middle of the town/city, I've been looking at the Fountain/Security/Widefield area but it still looks like everyone is packed in like sardines. any suggestions for areas to maybe drive through?

thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 05:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
Hi all, my wife and I are taking a few days in your area and are looking for suggestions for things to see/do. part of the reason for coming out is just a change of scenery from the frozen tundra of MN, ...any suggestions for areas to maybe drive through?

thanks all
Enjoy your trip and see LOTS of fun stuff (since you are not moving anytime soon).

Garden of the God's (was a great place to work nearby, bicycling on lunch break), would be nice to be within walking biking distance for living in CoS. Glen Eryie is pretty sweet (and sometimes has available lodging or tours (book ahead, not sure of Covid restrictions)).

Manitou Springs / Woodland Park (in case you can commute a ways in the future.)
North... Black Forest, Monument, Palmer Lake

If 'looking' for a future home...
  1. Price range
  2. Rural / Urban
  3. Old / new (There are some really nice older homes near Olympic Training Center, another nice place to visit / walk nearby)
  4. Desired distance to shopping and medical and other stuff important to you? (Airport, colleges, retirement functions, ESCAPE (beat) the CROWDS to western Colorado ...) 10 min, 20 min, 30, 1 hr?
  5. Elevation / wind / sunshine needs?

Old 02-07-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Enjoy your trip and see LOTS of fun stuff (since you are not moving anytime soon)

If 'looking' for a future home...
  1. Price range
  2. Rural / Urban
  3. Old / new (There are some really nice older homes near Olympic Training Center, another nice place to visit / walk nearby)
  4. Desired distance to shopping and medical and other stuff important to you? (Airport, colleges, retirement functions, ESCAPE (beat) the CROWDS to western Colorado ...) 10 min, 20 min, 30, 1 hr?
  5. Elevation / wind / sunshine needs?
thanks for the quick response

price range, TBD, move wouldn't be for several years or better
somewhere between rural/urban
definitely prefer older established neighborhoods
relatively close to shopping (as in grocery/gas/target ect)
weather wise, I just need to get away from the harsh winters of MN, everyone I've talked to and everything I've read says that the COS area meets that (honestly, I'd prefer southern AZ but the wife has vetoed it and this is one are we negotiated on)

Old 02-07-2021, 07:26 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
I would also recommend Garden of the Gods for a day trip.

As for being packed in like sardines, how would you define that? Generally speaking, the older homes have larger yards. There are some in Security that have lots of about an acre, even. But if you only want new, you're likely to end up with smaller lots. So it is a trade off.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:01 PM

405 posts, read 449,607 times
You could head southwest to Red Rocks amphitheater, then continue on I-70 west into the Rockies. Stop in Georgetown (historic mining town) take Loveland Pass on Hwy 6 to Breckenridge (great ski town.) Head back to Denver on I-70 stopping along the way in Silver Plume and Idaho Springs (fun mountain mining towns)

Old 02-07-2021, 08:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
CoS is a "breeze," compared to MN winter.... Just a little snow (usually) separated by lots of sunshine.

But... 25 yrs ago... Good friends from CoS moved to Tucson (Orovalley), they got a great lot with excellent view, and love it there. As do friends in Benson, Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Safford, and Willcox. Other Colorado transplants still enjoying Prescott, Sedona, and Flag.

We spend quite a lot of time in MN, usually Fairmont / Austin, but last yr Walker, Leech Lake.

Colorado suburban neighborhoods have miles of cedar privacy fencing, so you can't do MN style 'shopping' in your neighbor's garden when you need extra food for unannounced visitors. Or when you need a few extra stalks of rhubarb. So.... I would stick with the older neighborhoods with big trees, brick homes, basements, alleys, plaster walls with coved ceilings, natural hardwood trim, doors, and floors. And fewer privacy fences! Maybe even some rhubarb! I had a huge rhubarb plant in Colorado that I kept near the alley, so it fed most of the neighbors.

Breakfast in Tuscon.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...obcat-2611.jpg

Waiting for breakfast... http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...obcat-2618.jpg

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-07-2021 at 08:18 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 07:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
What do you want to see while you are here? A day or two can really limit things, even in the winter and under Covid. ideas can be found here: https://www.visitcos.com/

If you want larger lots, need to define what is larger, 10k sq ft, half acre, larger? There is a large variety of lots sizes through out the region but typically you need to be out of any of the cities and surrounding towns to find anything bigger than a half acre.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:06 PM

Hi everyone, not sure how to multi-quote so I will answer best I can

@ otowi, where I live now, it seems like I can almost reach out the window and shake hands with the neighbors, I'd like a bit more elbow room. I am very much ok with an older house

@ vunderbar, Red Rocks is definitely towards the top of the list (if not at the top), I don't think we will have time for that much driving

@ stealthrabbit, if you find that you will be passing thru St Cloud on your way north, feel free to message me and meet up and talk in person

thanks again all

Old 02-09-2021, 08:10 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
[quote=StcLurker;60367531]Hi everyone, not sure how to multi-quote so I will answer best I can... /QUOTE]

Easy. Just click on that " icon for as many users as you want, then hit the quote button, and then you can shorten or finesse each quote as you wish.

Try it. If you mess up there's nothing I can't fix.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:16 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
[quote=Mike from back east;60367563]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
Hi everyone, not sure how to multi-quote so I will answer best I can... /QUOTE]

Easy. Just click on that " icon for as many users as you want, then hit the quote button, and then you can shorten or finesse each quote as you wish.
I just learned something! Never even noticed the " icon before....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs