U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:14 AM

27 posts, read 83,709 times

Advertisements

I'm a Junior High ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher, and can teach on-level English from 4th to 8th grade. I've been in Houston for 28 years, and I've hated it for about 26 years. Originally I was a paralegal, made good money at that, had to work downtown (with a horrendous commute). I've been teaching 2 years now, and have my application in to the Colorado Department of Education. Hopefully they'll license me to teach in Colorado, and beginning in March 2007 I'll be interviewing for positions for Fall 2007. My children (who grew up in Houston) are out of the house, one lives in Denver, the other is currently at University of Texas. Now its ME time. I'm 48 years old and single.

Obviously I'll have to move where the jobs are, but I'm praying for a small mountain community (think Conifer, Bailey, Evergreen). Looking for at least an acre of land, with a non-manufactured home on it. As a teacher, my income will be pretty low (I think low 30's is where I'll be to start).

I'm looking for less diversity than Houston (read between the lines here), less pollution and crime, I'm a conservative Christian, and would like a church/ community where I could be active.

Any ideas of the best areas for me? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 12:17 AM

14 posts, read 73,265 times
While not exactly mountains....the Black Forest has some similar feeling for someone looking to get into the outdoors. Monument (on east-side of I-25 is also very nice.) It's close to the Springs for work....and an abundance of Christian opportunities.

Evergreen and Conifer are very nice. Not far away and other communties to consider would be Golden and Morrison.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 AM

11 posts, read 76,717 times
Default Teaching in Colorado

Houstontherearviewmirror,
What's the process like for teaching in Colorado? I, too, am a teacher in Texas. We're looking to move to the Colorado Springs area. I'm a little confused as to what I need to do to be able to teach in Colorado. I'm in my 10th year of teaching. I taught nine consecutive years then took a 5 year break to take care of my kids. I haven't put an application in yet. I think I'd like to teach in the Woodland Park area, I'm not sure. Let me know what you've found out! I'd greatly appreciate it.
Good luck to you with you job hunting!! Keep us posted!!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:22 AM

649 posts, read 2,650,235 times
Hey just a thought.... The Classical Academy is a great school here in the Springs, rated very well w/ testing, etc. It does not require that you have your Colorado License. It might be a place to start while you get your license for Colorado. Just a thought. bashep

Old 11-19-2006, 11:38 AM

20,315 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Default See: http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_licenseaps.htm

Initial License
The initial license issued to those who are a new Colorado graduate who have passed the PLACE or Praxis test. It is valid for three years. You are required by law to complete a state-approved induction program to move from initial to professional license status.

Initial Authorization (Type VI) License
Issued to out-of-state candidates who hold a current certificate in another state and have less than three years experience. These license holders have one year in which to pass the PLACE or Praxis test in their content area. This license is only renewable once.

Professional Teaching License
Issued to an initial license holder who has completed an approved induction program. It is valid for five years and is renewable through documentation of either six semester hours of credit or 90 clock hours of activities or a combination thereof. Professional licenses are also issued to out-of-state educators who can demonstrate three or more years of continuous, successfully evaluated teaching experience.

Alternative Teacher License
Issued to an individual who has earned a bachelorís degree from an accredited institution, possesses subject matter knowledge appropriate for teaching in public schools and agrees to participate in an on-the-job, one-year, alternative teacher preparation program. It is valid for one year and is non-renewable.

Authorization: Temporary Teacher Eligibility
Requested by a district for Special Education teachers who are enrolled in a Special Education teacher program and who do not yet meet licensing requirements. The teacher must also hold a valid Temporary Teaching Endorsement (TTE), which monitors the teacherís progress towards program completion. The TTE holder usually agrees to complete 9 credit hours per year. The Authorization and TTE are issued for a period of one year, and are only renewable twice when the district and teacher can prove progress toward program completion.

Type III Emergency Authorization
Requested by a district when a licensed person with appropriate endorsements cannot be found. The license is issued to an individual, but is specific to a district. Valid for one school year only.
http://www.cde.state.co.us/
Educator Licensing: 303-866-6628
http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_licenseaps.htm

Report Card on Colorado Schools http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp (broken link)
Use the MAP feature listed at right, drill down to County and then Community to see local schools and their rating, which tells you something. This data can be used in conjunction with the data on www.realtor.com (broken link) site, which tells you the names of schools serving a given house listed in the MLS function.

You're gonna love Colorado. s/mike

Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,861 times
Houston- It sounds like the front range (vanilla valley) would be a good match for you. Little diversity and a good place to be content and comfortable in what you know, without the hassle of being introduced to new ideas(read between the lines here, hint: sarcasm). I agree with the yearning for lower crime, but the Colorado Springs area could use some fresh ideas. Please come with an open mind. As for the church part, you won't have to look hard.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:41 PM

226 posts, read 1,247,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonNTheRearViewMirror View Post
Obviously I'll have to move where the jobs are, but I'm praying for a small mountain community (think Conifer, Bailey, Evergreen). Looking for at least an acre of land, with a non-manufactured home on it. As a teacher, my income will be pretty low (I think low 30's is where I'll be to start).
You should check out Larkspur Colorado, specifically the Perry Park area. Almost every home is on 1 acre. The entire neighborhood is wooded and has a nice mountain feel. It is also very close to both Castle Rock and Monument if you want a commute less than 15 minutes. If you don’t mind commuting 30 minutes you work in many areas in Southern Denver or Northern Colorado Springs.

Perry Park is no more expensive than Conifer or Evergreen.. It is difficult to find much under $400k in any of these areas.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:51 AM

Colorado's HUD office has a home-buyer's program specifically for teachers, firefighters, police, etc. It's called "Teacher Next Door." Go to hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/goodn/tnd

Unfortunately, there are not many homes which qualify for the TND program, but you may get lucky.

Pax Avatar, thank you for your suggestions. At this point I'm waiting for some teaching jobs to open up so I can pursue them. I can't move until I secure a job there, and although it would be nice to have a choice of where to live, I may be limited by where the jobs are. Thank you again.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Before I get any more sarcastic replies...

Quote:
I'm looking for less diversity than Houston (read between the lines here)
Honestly, Houston is overrun with illegal immigrants. My apologies if I offended anyone with my original post. I don't have a problem with diversity. I do have a problem with illegals.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:12 AM
jar

5 posts, read 20,242 times
Quote:
Honestly, Houston is overrun with illegal immigrants. My apologies if I offended anyone with my original post. I don't have a problem with diversity. I do have a problem with illegals.
Im glad you clarified that...cause you originally sounded unseemly (when I 'read between the lines')
'Illegal' doesn't = 'diversity'.
That a very broad statement that's wrong.
Illegals are just that: illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs