Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times

Advertisements

Or Gold Hill Mesa - a housing development on top of old mine tailings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 PM

666 posts, read 1,043,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Yes they have not had a lot of luck selling those properties, we are not as dumb as those developers think

Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Sorry to burst your gun-loving bubble, but not everybody has an unconditional love of guns and perhaps you're just not noticing the people who discreetly and carefully move away from you and go somewhere else, based on the small but real possibility you're a homicidal maniac.

Multiple times I've been at restaurants etc with my wife and kids when some open-carry dude (always a dude) sits down nearby flashing his pride and joy and my wife gets so stressed/upset we have to (discretely, so as to not upset a potential madman) get up and leave, sometimes mid meal. You may not be a dangerous trigger-happy shooter in need of mental health services, but we don't KNOW whether you are or not, and its just not worth the risk.

Folks have a legal right to open carry, concealed-carry, whatever, but the rest of us also have a legal right to get nervous about your unknown intentions with that weapon and to get as far away from you as possible, as quickly and as discreetly as possible. There's no law against wondering about your sanity, is there? We'd do the same if you were walking into Home Depot or sitting down at a restaurant holding a large sword or a cross-bow or something. Carrying around deadly weapons may be legal, but I'd be careful about happily and blindly assuming you're never disturbing any of your fellow citizens with your decision to do so.
Omg, drama queen lol. Must be awful to so afraid of a pile of metal. People openly carrying weapons are hardly the ones you need to worry about. Do you get nervous when you see police do it too? Lmfao.....

For the record, someone with sanity problems most likely would not be able to own a firearm legally.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Tesla actually lived in COS. Where's his monument?
It on east pikes peak, on the memorial park side of the road between Hancock and Union.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Yea, you can't even have a garden because of e possible soil contamination. I can't believe they've sold so many of these houses already.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM

409 posts, read 700,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Yea, you can't even have a garden because of e possible soil contamination. I can't believe they've sold so many of these houses already.
Not that there's space for a garden. Those lots are TINY.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,085,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Okay, back to "strange but true" stuff about COLO SPGS.

How about the Rockrimmon area, where the occasional smoldering fires of former underground coal mines burn their way to the surface and reportedly melt the soles of sneakers, etc.
Mike, thank you and everyone else for sharing these fascinating facts about Colorado Springs. I can't believe that coals are still smoldering. Thanks everyone, fun to learn little known facts about a city.

Charlie.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Mike, thank you and everyone else for sharing these fascinating facts about Colorado Springs. I can't believe that coals are still smoldering. Thanks everyone, fun to learn little known facts about a city.

Charlie.
Thanks for the kind words.

IIRC there's a thread in here on that issue, anyone who wishes to find it should use our search tool with keywords like coal, fire, rockrimmon and/or combinations of those words.

Another strange/true thing that's fairly well known is that COLO SPGS was once a place where thousands of people came to try and cure their cases of TB. Some were cured but many died. There used to be long rows of tiny cottages where these people "took the airs" of our climate. IIRC there's still one of these tiny living quarters on the grounds of Mt. St. Francis off Woodmen Rd; it's okay to drive around in there, it's a beautiful place with a nursing home for old nuns (I think).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:46 PM

6,800 posts, read 10,422,221 times
Yes as for the TB issue if you pay attention around town you'll still find sanatorium houses that have been re-used in homes and other structures. They look like this: http://cdn.csgazette.biz/cache/wb260...8a25c4814e.jpg If I remember correctly, you can see one up close or maybe even go inside one at the Pioneers Museum downtown.

As for coal mines, If you drive up the interstate near the Rockrimmon interchange underneath where the Sunbird restaurant is, you can see an old coke oven left over from the coal mines. I hope they save it as it looks like they're planning on doing some building in that area perhaps. My great-grandfather worked at the Peakview Mine and my mom remembers going with her mom to give him lunch and he'd come up the mine elevator with a black face from the coal. He lost his pension when there was a strike and he crossed the lines because he was desperate to feed his family. He used to hunt rabbit in downtown Colorado Springs and they'd go and pick choke cherries in Monument Valley Park for pies, and they'd go to Manitou Springs to get jugs of the spring water for lemonade. I wish someone had bothered to write a history of our coal mines before they were gone, because the story is being quickly lost.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Speaking of TB cures here in the Springs...made me think...does anyone know why
we know probably 3 people each with MS, Multiple Sclerosis, here?

Oh, these TB cottages behind 'mansions' in the Old North End with so much sun coming into them are sweet rentals!

A friend has an apt in the Pulitzer Mansion...her apt has the bathroom and bedroom
of Pulitzer's daughter, with TB...sorry, read all the history, but have forgotten her name, Dorothy?
In the ONE, El Parque off Wood, many parties there!!!!

Edit: No one has mentioned all the RADON here bec of those Coal Mines!!
Yikes..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs