Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 AM

255 posts, read 710,755 times

Advertisements

Hi All! My hubby and I just returned from a great trip out to see CS and scout it out for a possible move. We have been before, but never in the summertime. I am very appreciative of the great advice I received from posters on previous threads... It made the trip even better! Here are a few observations about the area and CS from my perspective:

1) Phenomenal beauty- CS is surrounded by some of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen, and I have traveled extensively around the world! We drove up Pikes Peak, went to Seven Falls and Cave of the Winds, Manitou Springs, ate at the Broadmoor Hotel, and wandered through Garden of the Gods. Wow... The landscape is stunning and is a point of pride for the city and area.

2) Friendliness- Most everyone was extremely friendly! We appreciate good service and try to be good customers, and we were highly impressed by the positivity, helpfulness and good attitudes of most everyone we met. I know that there are exceptions, of course, but the majority of our interactions were very positive.

3) Great dining options- I know some people have said that CS lacks a good variety of restaurants, but that was not our experience. My husband has a gluten allergy, and we were stunned by the plentiful options available. In Manitou, there was even a full restaurant dedicated to being gluten-free! (Coquette's) There were also many other dietary options available for vegetarians, vegan diets, and others. We are not really chain restaurant people, so we were skeptical of what options may be available. We went out of our way to find local places and unique eateries throughout the city, and we were very happy.

4) Patty Jewett- We fell in love with the Patty Jewett, Shooks Run and ONEN area, and we were happy to see that there were many different neighborhoods with character especially in the central part of the city.

5) Woodmen Rd- Whoa! Woodmen Rd. and the northern part of the city seems to be very congested with both traffic and housing developments! It seems like some of these neighborhoods north of Woodmen Rd. were started and then left without much development, like Forest Meadows. Some seem very far removed from the city, as well, like Meridian Ranch. I guess if you want to be in an area with more open space that could be good, though.

6) Tejon St. beggars/homeless- There were a lot of cool places along Tejon, but we were surprised at the numbers of beggars and homeless along that street in particular. I could see that it was a main downtown artery and tourists and businessmen/women were everywhere, so I was curious how their presence is handled? How do the Police respond to them? Are there services that have tried to proactively help?

7) City with an inferiority complex?- I was struck by several people we talked to who seemed to apologize for the lack of concerts or entertainment or food options in the Springs. I was puzzled by this because, again, that was not our experience... It seems that some people who live in the Springs almost feel the need to apologize that the Springs isn't Denver. Well, it isn't... and I am kind of glad for that! Yes, it has challenges like any city, but it seems like its strengths are downplayed perhaps too quickly.

There are many other observations that I have, but these stand out for now. I know opinions and experiences vary, but I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in the pot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Thanks for visiting! Yo'r observations were all pretty good and mostly accurate from my experiences too. There were a couple I wanted to comment on too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
5) Woodmen Rd- Whoa! Woodmen Rd. and the northern part of the city seems to be very congested with both traffic and housing developments! It seems like some of these neighborhoods north of Woodmen Rd. were started and then left without much development, like Forest Meadows. Some seem very far removed from the city, as well, like Meridian Ranch. I guess if you want to be in an area with more open space that could be good, though.
Woodmen and Academy are congested areas with a lot of strip malls and chain stores, like any city would have just outside, well away from downtown. When you mention 'the northern part of the city' and talk about things being left partially devoted, I can only assume you're talking about Interquest and maybe Briargate. Most specifically, the giant abandoned hotel you see from the freeway and some empty commercial or other large development-ready lots you see around those areas. This was a major growth area right up to the great recession circa 2008. Most of the large-scale development was withr put on hold or abandoned entirely at that point. I't's more or less inevitable that that will pick back up at some pooint and similar place will be resumed. But that's not necessarily something we're all looking forward too. There are othee threads in here that discuss it all in more detail. Dor example: New Mall in Colorado Springs
Quote:
7) City with an inferiority complex?- I was struck by several people we talked to who seemed to apologize for the lack of concerts or entertainment or food options in the Springs. I was puzzled by this because, again, that was not our experience... It seems that some people who live in the Springs almost feel the need to apologize that the Springs isn't Denver. Well, it isn't... and I am kind of glad for that! Yes, it has challenges like any city, but it seems like its strengths are downplayed perhaps too quickly.
I don't know, is it possible that people were just stating a fact, that Denver is more metropolitan and cosmopolitan that COS, and you just took it as some sort of apology? The fact is that Denver is a major city and Colorado Springs is not. Living in a place that's not a tier 1 or 2 city has its advantages and its disadvantages. Obviously someone who loves big city life and culture will find COS a little lacking. But for anyone looking for a good sized city with all the basic amenities, immediate mountain access and great views, COS is that. There are plenty of nice people around too, but depending on your preferences and attitude, YMMV.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM

255 posts, read 710,755 times
I don't know, is it possible that people were just stating a fact, that Denver is more metropolitan and cosmopolitan that COS, and you just took it as some sort of apology? The fact is that Denver is a major city and Colorado Springs is not. Living in a place that's not a tier 1 or 2 city has its advantages and its disadvantages. Obviously someone who loves big city life and culture will find COS a little lacking. But for anyone looking for a good sized city with all the basic amenities, immediate mountain access and great views, COS is that. There are plenty of nice people around too, but depending on your preferences and attitude, YMMV.[/quote]

Yes, it could be that people were just stating the factual differences between the two cities, but it almost seemed more apologetic or slightly embarrassed that CS didn't have some of the things that Denver has. From what I experienced, they are just two different cities... CS has its own brand of entertainment, culture, food and fun, and Denver has its own. It just made me a little sad to think that some people might feel "less than" or somewhat embarrassed because of these differences when CS has some amazing things that characterize it from any other city.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
it almost seemed more apologetic or slightly embarrassed that CS didn't have some of the things that Denver has. From what I experienced, they are just two different cities...
In that case, I guess you met some people who are slightly embarrassed about living in COS instead of Denver. It happens. You're right, they're two different cites. I prefer Denver myself but I don't live IN either. If I did live in COS, I don't think I'd feel a need to be apologetic about it.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Quote:
Hi All! My hubby and I just returned from a great trip out to see CS and scout it out for a possible move. We have been before, but never in the summertime. I am very appreciative of the great advice I received from posters on previous threads... It made the trip even better! Here are a few observations about the area and CS from my perspective:

1) Phenomenal beauty- CS is surrounded by some of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen, and I have traveled extensively around the world! We drove up Pikes Peak, went to Seven Falls and Cave of the Winds, Manitou Springs, ate at the Broadmoor Hotel, and wandered through Garden of the Gods. Wow... The landscape is stunning and is a point of pride for the city and area.

2) Friendliness- Most everyone was extremely friendly! We appreciate good service and try to be good customers, and we were highly impressed by the positivity, helpfulness and good attitudes of most everyone we met. I know that there are exceptions, of course, but the majority of our interactions were very positive.

3) Great dining options- I know some people have said that CS lacks a good variety of restaurants, but that was not our experience. My husband has a gluten allergy, and we were stunned by the plentiful options available. In Manitou, there was even a full restaurant dedicated to being gluten-free! (Coquette's) There were also many other dietary options available for vegetarians, vegan diets, and others. We are not really chain restaurant people, so we were skeptical of what options may be available. We went out of our way to find local places and unique eateries throughout the city, and we were very happy.

4) Patty Jewett- We fell in love with the Patty Jewett, Shooks Run and ONEN area, and we were happy to see that there were many different neighborhoods with character especially in the central part of the city.

6) Tejon St. beggars/homeless- There were a lot of cool places along Tejon, but we were surprised at the numbers of beggars and homeless along that street in particular. I could see that it was a main downtown artery and tourists and businessmen/women were everywhere, so I was curious how their presence is handled? How do the Police respond to them? Are there services that have tried to proactively help?

There are many other observations that I have, but these stand out for now. I know opinions and experiences vary, but I thought I would put my 2 cents worth in the pot!

Ugh, thank The Lord above that Colorado Springs is not Denver. We're better!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 PM

45 posts, read 154,798 times
I do think it is interesting how Colorado Springs has changed since the 90s. I can remember when the city itself had a superiority complex back when it went by the nickname "Silicon Mountain". Colorado Springs politicians would actually claim that it was a world-class city with a straight face.

I do think a lot of the recent inferiority complex stems from the fact that the 2000-2012 time frame in Colorado Springs was similar although not quite as bad as the 1980s recession due to steel downsizing in Pittsburgh. Much of Colorado Springs economic issues were due to tech downsizing.

I do think a larger percentage of Colorado Springs has faced hardships compared to the rest of the country recently. While it's always preferable to have a booming economy and low unemployment, sometimes when a large percentage of population has had a rough economic time it can lead to a more down to earth mindset. This has been the case in Colorado Springs, more so then Denver or Boulder.

Although I do think a lot of quality of life indicators have gone down-hill in the city since the 90s it does seem as though the city has gotten more down-to-earth and modest in recent years. Which is contrast to many parts of the country in which arrogance is a way of life for the majority of the population.

I do admit Central Colorado Springs tends to have a different demographic in it's core then many similar cities of similar size. There is more of the 40 and 50 something demographic in it's core then the typical 20 something and 30 something year olds you will see a higher concentration of most central neighborhoods of most cities.

I have also noticed Colorado Springs does not seem as pop-culture influenced as many parts of the country. I am sure the average Colorado Springs is far more of a realist then the dreamer culture which is prevalent in a lot of cities.

I do think Colorado Springs is one of the few cities that still seem to have a lot of down-to-earth and humble people.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:04 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
People who have lived here longer and our families have for generations know that Colorado Springs has ALWAYS been a boom and bust economy. That is simply part of its identity. People who are influenced a lot by the times of prosperity or the lean times tend to be people who came from somewhere else and don't know the history or else have very short memories and lack of understanding about this area. I never heard the nickname "Silicon Mountain" lol - I don't think that was something much used by locals. And as for inferiority complex, the only place I see it is here in this forum. In the real world, the vast majority of people I meet would never go to Denver over here. Priorities are different - I'd rather keep the closer mountains any day over the traffic in Denver, thank you.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
And as for inferiority complex, the only place I see it is here in this forum. In the real world, the vast majority of people I meet would never go to Denver over here.
Well that would be true of almost any city, right? Go to a city and ask someone if they'd rather be in whatever their nearest neighbor they'll probably say, "NO WAY", especially if they've lived there forever. It's called hometown pride. To illustrate:
Dr. Seuss' The Sneetches - Full Version - YouTube

Old 07-30-2013, 04:40 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
People who have lived here longer and our families have for generations know that Colorado Springs has ALWAYS been a boom and bust economy. That is simply part of its identity. People who are influenced a lot by the times of prosperity or the lean times tend to be people who came from somewhere else and don't know the history or else have very short memories and lack of understanding about this area. I never heard the nickname "Silicon Mountain" lol - I don't think that was something much used by locals. And as for inferiority complex, the only place I see it is here in this forum. In the real world, the vast majority of people I meet would never go to Denver over here. Priorities are different - I'd rather keep the closer mountains any day over the traffic in Denver, thank you.
You got that right. I go to Denver for 2 reason, to pass it on the way to the airport, and to see my Broncos.n other than that, they can keep it.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
You got that right. I go to Denver for 2 reason, to pass it on the way to the airport, and to see my Broncos.n other than that, they can keep it.
Now you're starting to sound like the one with an inferiority complex. I live right in between the two and go to both regularly. One is not a shining sea of splendor while the other is a garbage dump. I do prefer Denver for its more cosmopolitan flavor and bonafide urban offerings. But COS has a definite edge when it comes to mountain views and natural tourist attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs