Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:56 PM

68 posts, read 280,096 times

Advertisements

It has been our family tradition to visit each year a Christmas Tree farm...where we would choose and cut our own tree, fry marshmallows over the fire and sip on a cup of hot cider.....does anyone know of such a farm in Colorado Springs or nearby?

Rosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
I've never heard of any specific farms for that purpose. The US Forest Service offers permits every year. You can contact the Pikes Peak Ranger District for more information on the permits: USDA Forest Service, Pike & San Isabel National Forests, Cimarron & Comanche National Grasslands - About Us

They may have even a list of private land owners that have tree farms but with recent issues with pine beetles, I have a feeling that private landowners aren't going to be too generous.

EDIT: Better link - Pike's Peak Christmas Tree Cutting Info

Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM

68 posts, read 280,096 times
Thank you COflower for the very useful link! Wow - it sounds like we are out for an adventure! (just like the movie "Christmas Vacation"

Rosie

Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,764 times
Haha, I love that movie. It's in my Amazon "wish list" for the DVD.

I hope you find the perfect tree but no misadventures like the Griswold family!

If you do find the perfect tree, please post a picture!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 11,575 times
Default Random Questions

Okay, I will apologise in advance for any stupid sounding questions.

We're coming to Colorado Springs in Dec/Jan from Australia. I've read many threads on here already but I still have a few questions.

From what I've already read I know that there may not be snow and that if it does snow it often melts quickly however we're still hoping for an American Christmas so to speak.

We will be arriving a few days before Christmas and would love a real tree, something really not possible in our hot climate. So, will there be places that we can find a real tree around town? TV shows make it look like there's someone selling trees on just about every corner in suburban USA. I'm sure that this isn't the case so if anyone knows where we can go it would be helpful.

I did see one thread about permits and cutting your own tree but we'd like one where someone else has done the hard work already.

Hopefully we can then go to a Wallmart ( is that it?) for a few decorations. Not planning on spending a fortune, just something so that we can say that we did it

Also, still on the Christmas theme, what are the chances of people turning up to sing carols door to door? Sorry, I did warn you that they might be silly questions. If so, are we supposed to feed them something or provide drinks or donate money?

Next, we don't have bears. Are we really likely to come across any? Another thread mentioned deer and even a coyote Even the deer that some posters found ugly, we thoought they looked adorable. We have no idea what we should/shouldn't do if we come across any of these. Any tips?

To those of you now rolling your eyes or rolling on the floor laughing, I'm sorry.

Many people assume that Aussies see kangaroos every day and for most people living in cities that's just not true, on the other hand, I am in a suburban area and I DO see kangaroos every day. I'm guessing it's the same there, maybe we will come across some wildlife and maybe we won't. So, what else might we see, besides bears and deers? I'd just like a heads up on what to expect.

Thanks in advance and I'll be back with more stupid questions as they come to me.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
One of the little known holiday activities in Colorado Springs are kangaroos coming up to your door singing carols and selling trees.

Do you play golf:

Bear visits 13th of the Senior Open at the Broadmoor

Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 AM

274 posts, read 627,717 times
From what I've already read I know that there may not be snow and that if it does snow it often melts quickly however we're still hoping for an American Christmas so to speak.
If you don't have snow on the ground you MAY be able drive to the mountains to see some and play around in it.

We will be arriving a few days before Christmas and would love a real tree, something really not possible in our hot climate. So, will there be places that we can find a real tree around town? TV shows make it look like there's someone selling trees on just about every corner in suburban USA. I'm sure that this isn't the case so if anyone knows where we can go it would be helpful.
There should be plenty of places to choose a fresh cut tree from. My advise is spend a few hours driving around checking different places out. If you can't find any places that are selling any, just ask around when you are there. Don't buy the first tree you like from the first place you stop at. Prices and quality vary place to place but the earlier you go looking the more selection you will have. Most places will tie them up for you and tie them to your roof. Then get you a nice Christmas CD to listen to, pour some drinks of your choice and have fun decorating!!

Hopefully we can then go to a Wallmart ( is that it?) for a few decorations. Not planning on spending a fortune, just something so that we can say that we did it
Wal Mart or Target will be places that you can get some decorations for sure. Hopefully some locals will give you a few more more ideas of stores local to the area to check out.

Also, still on the Christmas theme, what are the chances of people turning up to sing carols door to door? Sorry, I did warn you that they might be silly questions. If so, are we supposed to feed them something or provide drinks or donate money?
When I lived in Michigan people actually came around our neighborhood and did that. It was nice and really put you in the Christmas mood! We never tipped or gave drinks or anything. Just a nice applause and a Thank You and Merry Christmas to them. Again hopefully some locals can help with this.

Next, we don't have bears. Are we really likely to come across any? Another thread mentioned deer and even a coyote Even the deer that some posters found ugly, we thoought they looked adorable. We have no idea what we should/shouldn't do if we come across any of these. Any tips?
As far Bears go I am sure someone local will chime in with that information. In Michigan the only issue with Deers and Coyotes was seeing them roaming around in a field or running across the road . So be careful driving. Usually, not always, but usually where there is one Deer there are more. So if you see some on the side of the road while driving, just slow down and keep your eyes open to not hit them. I hit 2 Deer on two separate occasions while living in Michigan and they can do some damage to a car or!!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 AM

227 posts, read 1,044,332 times
Very funny Charles!
(Yeah, but the bear at the Broadmoor is true story!)
There should still be some fresh tree vendors around a few days before Christmas, but your selection may not be very good. One year we waited until Christmas Eve afternoon and caught a tree guy packing up his truck. He gave us a tree for free :-)

Walmart, Target, heck, even drugstores like Walgreens will still have Christmas decorations. Just know that the selection may be heavily picked over and if you're looking on Christmas Eve itself, the stores might close a little earlier than normal.

Actual Christmas Caroling is not a usual thing, sometimes neighborhoods will organize something but I don't know of regular caroling except in hospitals, hospices, etc. Too bad though - I used to belong to a caroling quartet when I lived in LA and we had several bookings in December. It was busy! I'm sure you could probably hire a caroling quartet to come to your house if you really want one :-)

As for wildlife, really depends on what part of CS you'll be in. If you're truly in downtown you may see nothing. Other parts you *could* see a bear, mountain lion, foxes, deer. Depends on the weather that week and where you are. The more north and west parts of town tend to get more animals. If you see any in your backyard, make sure your pets (and kids) are safely inside and they usually go away on their own. We've had a fox trot merrily down our street in broad daylight before, so you never know. I've also seen a deer in our backyard too.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,862 times
Very cute, Aussie! I saw your previous post that you'll be @ Memorial Hospital, so no, no bears, but probably foxes. When you drive around the area you will see deer (downtown!) and coyote. You'll need to be near the foothills for bear and lion.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
For trees, even grocery stores have fresh cut trees, such as, King Soopers and, Safeway!
Every store has decorations....deals are out there!!
Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs