Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times

Advertisements

I am most likely one of the biggest Pueblo boosters on city data and I do not like the Springs. I have many reasons for this but I like how Pueblo has community spirit and willing to invest in itself. We have built such projects as the Riverwalk, convention center and remodeled Memorial Hall, our performing arts theater, plus we are going to expand the Riverwalk and convention center as well as build a arena. The football program was brought back to CSU Pueblo and all paid for my local donors including the new stadium on campus. They are predicted to be number 1 this season. Pueblo has a lot of things to do for families from the zoo to festivals and the state fair. Plus there is a lot of outdoor activities like boating on the Res, mountain biking, hiking is free at Pueblo mountain park in the suburbs, about a 20 minute drive from the city, ice skating and Monarch is the closest ski area. In terms of going out you mentioned karaoke and Pueblo has many places for that.

For schools Pueblo West is the best and I have heard they do good in sports. Pueblo is big in high school sports and the bell game is the oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi for football. I went to the city school, Pueblo Central High, then went on to get my masters at a top 15 school in the nation, the University of San Diego, so I think while Pueblo can get a bad rap education is what you and your kids make out of it.

Like I said I know I am biased but I would pick Pueblo. If you have any question feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I hope he didn't get washed away by all that rain last night.... so, let me fill the void.

AFAIK, Pueblo has nothing like Briargate, Manitou, Old North End, Rockrimmon, Skyway, Broadmoor, Tri-Lakes, etc to recommend itself to the OP. Pueblo may have something resembling OCC but Colorado Springs has OCC which leads to the even better wacky world of Manitou Springs.

Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs sit at the base of Pikes Peak, has a ton of attractions and outdoor activities, milder weather, better scenery, excellent jobs in/around the defense industry and supporting firms, and much better shopping, school districts, entertainment, hotels, higher education, arts, culture, food, airport, sports and medical choices.

If cost is the ONLY criteria then Pueblo wins, but if any of the things mentioned above matter, Colorado Springs is the only logical choice. But if cost is the only criteria then there are even cheaper places than Pueblo.
I am here. No one can fill my void.

I was just in the science and technology forum most of the day and forgot the check the Springs room. So now I must stand up for my hometown.

Pueblo has mountains as well. Beulah, Colorado City, Rye with things like Bishops castle. Its not as populated as the Springs but then again the MSA is only 160,000 people. Our Union ave in downtown is kind of like Manitou Springs and Pueblo is doing much more on the arts then the Springs is.

This is a artifcle I like to post from the Colorado Springs Independent. I am sure you have seen it but the OP has not.

Colorado Springs must feel like Jan Brady right now.

Pueblo! Pueblo! Pueblo!

Always getting the arts and culture awards, that Pueblo. Grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, grants from the Boettcher Foundation and now, the 2013 Governor's Arts Award from Colorado Creative Industries.

The link: Aspen, Pueblo win 2013 Governor's Arts Awards | IndyBlog

As far the universities go. UCCS and CSU Pueblo are in the same league and both growing. I support CSU Pueblo and do like that it has football but I admit that is only because I am a homer.

Pueblo has good hospitals too but nothing Pueblo and Colorado Springs has measures to CU medical in Denver. However for general care Pueblo's 2 regional medical centers serve southern Colorado and Parkview was a top regional hospital according to US News and World report.

Ranked #11 in Colorado
Recognized in Southeastern Colorado

Parkview Medical Center is a general medical and surgical hospital in Pueblo, CO. It performed nearly at the level of nationally ranked U.S. News Best Hospitals in 3 adult specialties, as shown below. Parkview Medical Center has 370 beds. The hospital had 14,868 admissions in the latest year for which data are available. It performed 5,784 annual inpatient and 8,970 outpatient surgeries. Its emergency room had 76,383 visits. It is also accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).

The link: Parkview Medical Center in Pueblo, CO - US News Best Hospitals

In terms of weather. Pueblo gets less snow and is more mild in the winter but we do get hotter in the summer but it does cool off at night.

The one drawback, and I need to be honest, its the economy. It is hard to find a job in Pueblo and I am not sure I see that changing anytime soon. Plus Colorado Springs does have better restaurants, like the Penrose Room at the Broadmoor hotel, but for its size Pueblo has some good restaurants and was named a top food city for small to medium sized cities in the nation. In fact Pueblo is known for its local Mexican and Italian food and people come from all over to eat at our mom and pop restaurants.

In terms of sports. When was the last time the Air Force Academy was a contender for a national title like CSU Pueblo?!?!?!?! Now that is defiantly my homer coming out.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-08-2013 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 PM

17,983 posts, read 27,442,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Pueblo has mountains as well. Beulah, Colorado City, Rye with things like Bishops castle.
No. A lie by omission is still a lie. That's Pueblo County has mountains, not Pueblo. Pueblo has Pueblo. Colorado City is 24 miles away, Beulah 20, Rye 28...

Quote:
In terms of sports. When was the last time the Air Force Academy was a contender for a national title like CSU Pueblo?!?!?!?! Now that is defiantly my homer coming out.
Get outta here. No wait. They requested your services. They deserve this. Carry on.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No. A lie by omission is still a lie. That's Pueblo County has mountains, not Pueblo. Pueblo has Pueblo. Colorado City is 24 miles away, Beulah 20, Rye 28...
When I said Pueblo I was referring to the Pueblo MSA as those cities are all suburbs of Pueblo.

Quote:
Get outta here. No wait. They requested your services. They deserve this. Carry on.
Yes they do! Here is hoping third time is the charm!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 PM

17,983 posts, read 27,442,251 times
Quote:
suburbs of Pueblo.
Suburbs? No. The Mesa... Pueblo West, are suburbs of Pueblo... sort of. There's this huge expanse between Pueblo and Colorado City called desert and high prairie... 10s of miles of nothingness. That ain't suburb.

Quote:
Yes they do! Here is hoping third time is the charm!
I like the Twolves. I wasn't talking about them though. I was talking about CoSprings posters.

Air Force = NCAA division 1. TWolves is like college intermurals. They are division 3 or something like that. They aren't even on TV. Air Force plays Notre Dame, SEC West teams, BYU, TCU, Navy, etc. The Twolves play Adams State, Western State, School of Mines... big whoop!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,882,837 times
Quote:
I hope he didn't get washed away by all that rain last night.... so, let me fill the void.

AFAIK, Pueblo has nothing like Briargate, Manitou, Old North End, Rockrimmon, Skyway, Broadmoor, Tri-Lakes, etc to recommend itself to the OP. Pueblo may have something resembling OCC but Colorado Springs has OCC which leads to the even better wacky world of Manitou Springs.

Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs sit at the base of Pikes Peak, has a ton of attractions and outdoor activities, milder weather, better scenery, excellent jobs in/around the defense industry and supporting firms, and much better shopping, school districts, entertainment, hotels, higher education, arts, culture, food, airport, sports and medical choices.

If cost is the ONLY criteria then Pueblo wins, but if any of the things mentioned above matter, Colorado Springs is the only logical choice. But if cost is the only criteria then there are even cheaper places than Pueblo.
Very well stated Mike!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Suburbs? No. The Mesa... Pueblo West, are suburbs of Pueblo... sort of. There's this huge expanse between Pueblo and Colorado City called desert and high prairie... 10s of miles of nothingness. That ain't suburb.
You are confusing "urbanized area" with the official metropolitan statistical area (MSA). In Pueblo the official MSA is Pueblo county and in Colorado Springs the official MSA is El Paso and Teller counties.

If that does not make your head spin there is the trade area too. The Colorado Springs trade area is about the same while the Pueblo trade area is 20 counties in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico with a population of about 400,000 people.

Quote:
I like the Twolves. I wasn't talking about them though. I was talking about CoSprings posters.

Air Force = NCAA division 1. TWolves is like college intermurals. They are division 3 or something like that. They aren't even on TV. Air Force plays Notre Dame, SEC West teams, BYU, TCU, Navy, etc. The Twolves play Adams State, Western State, School of Mines... big whoop!
I would much rather have a team be dominant and a contender for a national title in division 2 then a average team with no chance of winning a national championship in division 1. When I want to see a pro team I just drive up to Denver to see the Broncos as I have season tickets for them.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-09-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
I'm surprised it took this long for the thread to devolve into another "Pueblo vs Colorado Springs." OP be aware Joss is our resident Pueblo booster, as he admitted himself. You pretty much have to take everything he says about Pueblo and normalize it to an average person. Pueblo is not an awful place. But based on the things you've stated are important to you, it really does not sound like a viable option.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 PM

13 posts, read 20,217 times
From pueblo and moved to woodland park pueblo is filled with drugs lots of crime bad economy do not move there u will b sorry springs is great and has everything.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 AM

802 posts, read 983,570 times
Quote:

what is cheaper than Pueblo in same area? Canon City? Lamar? La Junta? Walsenburg?
(comparing to Pueblo)slightly smaller, better economy? similar COS? less crime? more conservative - Greeley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs