Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM

44 posts, read 46,076 times

Advertisements

People here, for the most part, are fantastic. Seems to attract some of the best. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM

553 posts, read 1,628,145 times
Just an anecdote, but I think it speaks volumes about the people in our community......

Yesterday's storm seemed to park right over Academy and Flintridge, very close to my home. I was out when the storm hit, and returned to find a lot of debris on the road. When I got to the driveway, most of the decorative rock that used to live between my sidewalk and the street had washed down about 3 doors, and was clogging up the gutter.

I grabbed a wheelbarrow and a shovel, and started recovering the rocks, simultaneously freeing the runoff. Keep in mind, it was still raining. Before 5 minutes had gone by, 3 teenagers stopped their car, and asked if they could help. Within minutes, I also had 5-6 neighbors. What could have taken me hours wound up taking the group maybe 45 minutes to fix.

Now, some shifting landscaping is a pretty minor flood impact, when our friends in Boulder and Estes Park and Manitou and a number of other places are feeling genuinely tragic flood effects. Still, it was strenuous work, in miserable conditions, and having so many hands pitch in without being asked to help made it kinda joyous.

For what it's worth, I tried to slip a few bucks to the teenagers (who I don't even know), to grab a pizza or something, and they wouldn't hear of it. Soaking wet, both from sweat and the rain, they just said "we're glad we could help."

So, for me, the best, quickest description of the 'people of this town' is....."neighbors."

Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 AM

641 posts, read 2,267,106 times
That's awesome....great post.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 PM

409 posts, read 700,528 times
Maynerd, that's a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM

20,203 posts, read 14,425,887 times
One thing I keep noticing is when it comes to what is rude, acceptable, not acceptable, in terms of driving, people often disagree and state their opinion (which not everyone agrees with) as though it is stone cold fact.

I think that both this, as well as some of the problematic driver behavior, may stem from how people in the Springs really do come from all over the place. Not only the customs, but the actual traffic LAWS vary in different states. So what one person thinks is crazy might be normal to someone else.

And I've had experience with folks from the east coast who viewed generally friendly-to-strangers behavior as so disingenuous and "fake" as to be actually insulting and rude. It took me a long time of living in Iowa to realize that I actually did hope people had a nice day. Nothing fake about it. And because of living all over, I do think there is a midwestern ingredient in our cultural spice-pot. It's not a geographical thing, just a people thing.

I've been playing APA pool this year in the Springs, and oddly while I've met so many friendly, awesome people, I've also heard people complain about "drama" and attitudes...interestingly the ones doing the complaining seem to be bringing the drama to the table with 'em...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs