U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2006, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 30,484 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am wondering what bugs or critters live in the Colorado Springs area? Does the area have problems with mosquitos, ants, spiders, termites, coyotes, wolf, scorpion , etc. We are seriously interested in moving out of the DC area and thanks to Mike and others we have Colorado Springs at the top of our list.
Thanks for any input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 08:06 AM

129 posts, read 1,102,099 times
We have very few bugs and other creepy-crawlers in Colorado, compared to many places. A few mosquitos in the evenings in summer, some ants, very few spiders, termites are nearly non-existant in our dry climate.

Wolves? Ooooo, I'd love to hear just one in my lifetime!!!

Coyotes? If you live in a rural area, or near the outskirts of town, you may hear them or see them. I've never had problems with coyotes, except in a National Park where people were feeding them.

Scorpions -- we did have a few tiny ones in our newly-built home in the country, south of Colorado Springs in a much hotter climate. Other than in that one area, I've never seen a scorpion in Colorado, and I've lived here all my life.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:14 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,740,115 times
winglady - I live in Briargate and we have a fox up here, trotts around the neighborhood quite often. Also, I have seen coyote up here too.

They have never bothered anyone up here, one just has to be concerned about smaller dogs and cats.

The only wolf that habitate here are those in wildlife habitats for discarded wolves (there's one up in Flouriscent - sp) and only one wolf to be seen in Colorado was killed by a vehicle on I-70 two years ago. It was believed that it was a wolf from the Yellowstone wolves but no one has seen one (except for that one) since the government killed them off back in the 30s.

My current house, been here since 1998 and never have seen any mosquitoes because I don't keep standing water around the house and I don't live near any water. Used to see them in other places I have lived in C Springs but not swarms or anything horrible.

Termites aren't a problem here either. I have never heard of anyone spraying for them or have any problems with them. I guess our climate is too dry and possibly too harsh in the winter to allow them to have any kind of strong-hold here.

For the most part, bugs, spiders and four legged creatures are not a big deal really. The most annoying non-two-legged creature around here are flies and they aren't too bad either.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 131,267 times
We used to live downtown and in Top of Skyway. Both places we had trouble with mice. We kept traps set all the time. In Top of Skyway we had no mice for 7 years after building our house, but then one very wet spring ('05, I think) we were invaded and I know most of our neighbors were, too.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:33 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,348,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyel View Post
Hello,
I am wondering what bugs or critters live in the Colorado Springs area? Does the area have problems with mosquitos, ants, spiders, termites, coyotes, wolf, scorpion , etc. We are seriously interested in moving out of the DC area and thanks to Mike and others we have Colorado Springs at the top of our list.
Thanks for any input.
I live next to a park in Briargate (North COS)

We have lots of foxes who howl at the sirens. My dogs like to join in!

We also have field mice and garter snakes in perfect harmony.

We frequently get big Owls and Eagles and Hawks roosting. (Yummy rodents)

We frequently see "missing kitten" signs (fox lunch).

Not too many spiders, but lots of ants hang out.

But no mosquitos!

Altogether, not a bad neighborhood!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 AM

11 posts, read 108,642 times
Default Ticks?

What about ticks in the area? and how common are rattlesnakes? Yuck!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:18 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,348,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinmama View Post
What about ticks in the area? and how common are rattlesnakes? Yuck!
No ticks. I've had dogs here for 31 years and not one tick.

I've killed two rattlesnakes in the foothills, but their population is low. When I was growing up in Phoenix, they used to come into the house.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM

11 posts, read 108,642 times
Default Ick

Rattlesnakes coming in to the house!!! OMG, that is scary. Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:33 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,136,552 times
We have 'voles'. They are cousins of the mole. Got 'em all over the yard. They eat plants and leave holes. We also have foxes, elk, antelope, deer, porcupines, and the occasional bear. We have seen far less bugs here than in CA or AZ, although we did find a scorpion last week in Pueblo.
Oh yeah we also have woodpeckers. They hammer us in the spring leaving holes in the side of our house that I have to patch before some other little bird make it's nest in the wall. Anyone with suggestions about voles or woodpeckers would be appreciated.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:23 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,740,115 times
Default Critters to me = wildlife :-)

From here: Spiders in the Home

Quote:
Scorpions

Scorpions are arachnids that have an elongated abdomen tipped by a stinger. A portion of their mouthparts (pedipalps) are modified as pincers. Scorpions found in Colorado capture and kill their prey primarily using these large pincers. Only when necessary do they bend the stinger over their body and inject poison into the prey. Species found in Colorado are not dangerous to humans although the sting can be painful.
Yes, and my brother was stung by one or a very strong cousin (they aren't all that common but IIRC there is a spider that is not a scorpion in Colorado which looks just like one) back in the late 70s. He had a heck of a sting and had to go to the hospital.

I used to check my shoes all the time after he was stung as that's where the bugger was hiding.

But for the OP, not much to worry about here. I hate spiders and they are very small around here.

Racoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes, plenty of rabbits and squirrels, not many bugs (haven't been bitten by a mosquito since I moved back in 1998).

I think the most interesting bug I have seen, and it was just this summer, was a walking stick. I have never, ever seen them before in Colorado Springs. I spent 5 years away and my neighbor's son would catch them in my yard when I lived in Grand Junction and they were pretty big but never saw one here until just this summer and it was tiny compared to Grand Junction area walking sticks.

The miller moths can be as annoying as can be some summers.

Occasionally a mountain lion or a bear come from the mountains but not too big a deal. About two-three summers ago, though, we had a moose that would just wander around the Monument Creek area as though it belonged in the high prairie.

No wolves as those introduced to Wyoming, only one has been (confirmed) found in Colorado and she was killed on I-70 near the Vail area.

Oh, prairie dogs but as we push east, they move east too.

Had a frog or a toad in my neighbor's man-made pond (just a small backyard one) that we never figured out how it got there. Made the funniest noise like a croaking owl yet much more haunting.

Salamanders were always around when I was a kid, even though I didn't live near a water source. After a strong rain storm, they would be on the sidewalks.

Basic lizards, most really small can be found if you now of any 12 year old boys that are complete reptile fans. My neighbor's son would bring them home from the field all the time.

I see peregrine falcon or some other type of hawk that flies around the fields behind my house a lot.

Lots of field mice, deer mice and other mice...some are actually cute.

Rattlesnakes, never seen one but they do exist around here. All my life, never seen a rattlesnake in Colorado personally.

Grasshoppers. OH MAN, they bug me. They will jump on you as you walk across a field and their legs latch onto you, ewwww. It's made me scream like a little girl since I was a little girl.

Anyhow, lots to enjoy around the area and it's even better when you travel in the mountain areas.

Last edited by COflower; 08-15-2007 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Add a species
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or