U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving for my job from Boulder to Colorado Springs in April/May 2014. I have one small indoor dog, and two horses. I know it's awhile out, but I'm starting the search for where to live. I definitely want something lined up as soon as I can- I don't want to wait until last minute, especially with my horses. My new office will be close to the Colorado Springs Airport, so I'd like to find something reasonably close to there. I want to find somewhere that I can settle into for the next few years until I'm done with grad school (which I going back for next fall). I'm not too picky on the housing- although two bedrooms and a garage would be nice. I grew up on a farm in TN, so out in the middle of nowhere is ok.

My main concern is the horse part- I need a barn, at least a two stall, with enough room to also store hay. Pasture is also a must, preferably more than 5 acres. Somewhere to ride would be a nice bonus- dirt roads, trails, arena, enough land to make part of the pasture an arena, etc. I'm not opposed to a situation where it's a second home on someone's property, horse facility, barn apartment, etc.

Any suggestions for the best places to find what I'm looking for, or areas to search in? My budget is $1500/mo, although cheaper is always better . I've seen some ads that fit what I'm looking for, but want a renter immediately. Just curious if anyone knows somebody who's looking for a renter like me, or which areas I have the best chance of finding what I need. Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 04:38 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,080,586 times
You may not find anything exactly 'close' to the airport. Areas which you may find horse property rentals would be Black Forest, Falcon, Peyton, eastern areas of Fountain and Security, Hanover. Some other areas would be Calhan, Ellicott, Rush, Yoder, Simla, Ramah, but these may be too far out for a reasonable commute, and the further east you go, you risk weather related closures to roads due to blowing snow. Maybe put an ad out on Craigslist indicating what you are looking for and when, and see if there is anyone out there. Be sure to come and check it out in person though before handing over any money (to avoid craigslist scammers).

Old 10-06-2013, 04:44 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Fountain is pretty close to the airport, you may find something there. I'd also recommend Hanover, Falcon, and Ellicott, but they're a little farther - still not bad.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,484,234 times
There are plenty of horse properties all over the far east side of the Springs. You will need to search for a rental, though. City-data isn't great for horse info, but keep an eye on craigslist and post on boards in feed stores, etc.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:36 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
I did this search on Realtor.com and got ZERO rentals within 20 miles of COLO SPGS for $1500 that has horse facilities.

All I found on craigslist are what seem to be apartments within homes occupied by owners or other renters.
- 40 acre place in Peyton
- 5 acre place in Black Forest

I doubt you'll find any place with all the aspects you're seeking for $1500.

Beware anything on craigslist that sounds too good to be true as it's probably a scammer.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 976 times
Default Horse Property Rental in Hanover

Hey!

Are you still looking for a barn apartment? I have one in Hanover (about 1/2 hour from the air port) that may fit your needs. I just bought the place and am working on turning the apartment into a guest house. Since it is still in the works, you can have a lot of say in what goes into it.

The barn is 30 by 40 feet and the attached apartment is 15 by 28. We have two milk goats and a kid in there, but they just take 8 by 40. That leaves the other 32 by 40 for your use. It would be very easy to build two stalls for you and allocate one end for your hay storage.

We own 40 acres of pasture that your horses would be able to share with the two goats. We plan on fencing it in this spring, so by April or May we could have it finished. I do not have an arena, but we can help you build that after you move in.

The apartment is whatever your imagination can design. Right now it is a 15 by 28 foot room. My wife an I were discussing what we would want if we were you, but it would be better to build exactly what you want. I am sure others in the future will have similar taste. We assumed you would want a stove/range, a refrigerator, a heater and AC, bathroom, bed, table, and internet access. The biggest question would be whether you wanted an open room design or if you wanted to add some walls.

If you are still looking, shoot me an email and I will send you a picture of the property and some possible floor plan sketches. You can come out an take a look at the place and tell us what you want. We have 4-5 months to build, so almost anything is possible. We can work within your price range.

wigpescador@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs