Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times

Advertisements

It's not any worse than many places. Western Slope (Grand Junction) doesn't see nearly the amount and speed of the winds we see here on the Front Range.

In the winter they are called Chinook winds. What that usually means are down sloping winds from the west. It actually warms up the air.

Today is a bit chilly but sunny and very little wind. It's just what it is. It is also a good indicator (if coming from the north) that a winter storm (no matter how slight) is coming in.

In the warmer months, not much wind at all unless a thunderstorm is approaching. But the clouds usually beat the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM

224 posts, read 732,642 times
In my opinion the wind can be more or less one season versus another. Or from one year to another. I've lived here for 3 years. (I've lived in Northern Virginia most of my life and before moving to Colorado Springs, I lived in San Diego for about 6 years.) I have found the closer it gets to Spring and even in the Summer months, the wind can be strong. But then I'll remember the year before wasn't like that. I do live on the East side so I guess the plains (think of Kansas and the winds). Of course you have days when there's no wind but it does whip up on you in the winter and annoy you in the summer.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
An earlier thread about wind in Co Springs:
Wind?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 PM

132 posts, read 673,746 times
Default Play windy for me

When I first moved out here, the wind "blew me away" But after a couple of years, I barely notice it except when carrying a sheet of 4x8 OSB

There are times of the year when the wind picks up and other times it's nice and calm. Just depends on the weather. In the summertime that little extra wind is really nice to have. It keeps bugs away from you, and cools you down. In the winter it causes big snowdrifts, which you can control using snow fences.

Now that I think of it, I can't think of a single place I have lived where wind didn't become an issue at one time or another. It's just out here there aren't as many buildings and trees to block it.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 AM

268 posts, read 1,129,997 times
I like the wind. It shovels the snow off my driveway.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
...and on to mine.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathartel View Post
Hi Everyone!
My husband and I were in COS for ONE whirlwind day on Monday. We were surprised by how windy it was! Is that typical or was that a bit unusual? The Weather Channel did have a windy symbol posted for Monday, which makes me hope that perhaps the winds were stronger than usual? We don't mind the weather, but my Mother (who would be moving with us) does NOT like the cold and wind and I know she wouldn't be able to handle it if everyday is like Monday. Honest input, please! Thanks in advance.
Cathartel,

If your mother in law doesn't like the cold, wind or no wind, winters here can be very cold. Sometimes it's blustery, sometimes it isn't, but the winters can be long. It starts up in late October and lasts until the end of March.

In between the snow and cold, we have glorious days of sun and mild weather, then we get hit again. Saturday will be 55 and sunny, Sunday will be 30 and snowy with high wind (hypothetically). Last winter was tough...it snowed every weekend! This winter has had some cold days, but not nearly the same snow.

I have a coworker who's from Florida and she walks around in total misery all winter. Her moping around even gets me down from time to time. I tell her "Colorado ain't tropical........get over it."

If your mother in law can't stand cold, maybe Florida would be a wiser choice.

Here's a link to this weeks weather......it's been warming up nicely, but cooling off again, and then warming up again....notice some wind on some days.

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 38.85N and Longitude -104.76W (Elev. 6235 ft)

Oh.........BTW, What was your impression of our fair city???

Last edited by Terytee; 02-28-2008 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
Heck, when it snows and the wind is blowing it creates a drift across mine.

The blizzards last year...holy heck I had such huge drifts! My neighbor's lot was even worse. She had five foot drifts in her driveway while mine were "only" at about 3 1/2 to 4 feet.

That was fun...not.

Thankfully I had plenty of wine to fuel my mad shoveling skills.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post

The blizzards last year...holy heck I had such huge drifts!
January 2007, Palmer Divide about five miles east of Monument.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,980 times
Here in Oklahoma, it's windier than Chicago.....The wind blows so hard that it takes your breath away, and this occurs on a regular basis. I won't even go into how this effects wind chill in the winter time.....I'll just leave it at *miserable* I'm glad to know I can look forward to less wind when I get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs