U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 9,344 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with all the homeless people at the grocery stores around town? It's weird because I haven't been asked for money, but they just seem to hang out there. The one's I am specifically referring to are Safeway on S. Nevada and the Walmart on S 8th st. Does the city tolerate them or just ignore it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 PM

666 posts, read 988,685 times
Both of those stores are close to areas with a higher concentration of homeless. Mostly because along that part of the Pikes Peak Greenway/Fountain Creek is where a lot of them live.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM

21 posts, read 28,737 times
I had never noticed them hanging out until it started getting cold. Heat source, maybe?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 AM

454 posts, read 1,064,278 times
The city tends to tolerate them due to fact so many people get in a up roar if anyone tries to do anything at all. It is just getting worse imo and something needs to be done about it. I feel like I live in a inner city(like in Baltimore) now.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 PM

18,907 posts, read 8,883,591 times
I was encircled by several when I got out my car down on Tejon one day...a little scary. And the downtown library smells like a flop house because of them. The soup kitchen is in the wrong part of town for the clientele, and attracts them to downtown.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,706,647 times
Like Baltimore? Come on, isn't that a little bit of an exaggeration

Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 AM

255 posts, read 543,217 times
Toxicavenger, what do you mean "people get in an uproar" if anything is done about the issue? Have their been efforts made in the past to "round up" people in the past? Just curious...

Old 10-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Yup. It's not a good comparison. Homelessness is not that bad here. It's much worse in Denver and other bigger cities. I think I'm pretty well traveled (Including Baltimore) and have lived in downtown settings enough to safely say it is not bad here. Sure they're out there and sure there's more than anyone wants to see, whether that be in a positive or negative way as you see it. And if you ask me, the homeless here aren't pushy and demanding when you don't give them anything. They just move on.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I was encircled by several when I got out my car down on Tejon one day...a little scary. And the downtown library smells like a flop house because of them. The soup kitchen is in the wrong part of town for the clientele, and attracts them to downtown.
I wouldn't know because I'm a newbie, but I'd guess that homeless showed up before the soup kitchen. The downtown area that the homeless gather is perfect for them. They have the trails/fountain creek to live and it's super close to downtown for them to panhandle. If you moved the soup kitchen I doubt it would actually lower the numbers downtown much.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM

18,907 posts, read 8,883,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Although my experience was with D.C., not Baltimore, I actually think that considering the relatively small footprint of COS, that there may be more homeless (or at least panhandlers) here than in a similar area of D.C. And the number of that general type that hang out in Denver is so very noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or