U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM

23 posts, read 34,800 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a year lease and we are going with the mind set if we love it why leave. how close is downtown from Northgate? and I assume there are some bars and something to do downtown correct? and what are some of the negatives about northgate that you can think of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,090,024 times
Lots of stuff to do downtown - Bars, restaurants, museums, theater, performing arts center, shops. Northgate has a few restaurants and things, but probably nothing much in the way of night life. Northgate is probably about a 30 minute drive to downtown, maybe a little less. Northgate may get a little more snow than downtown as the elevation is a bit higher. Getting there via the interstate is a mess sometimes lately due to some road construction, but that should be done soon. The traffic on Voyager Parkway where it makes a left turn onto Northgate Blvd is bad during evening rush hour on weekdays.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 AM

313 posts, read 360,967 times
Northgate is growing by leaps and bounds so there are more and more things to do in the area. Downtown COS is only 20 minutes (at most) away unless it's the height of commute (and after living in the San Francisco Bay Area, Honolulu and the NYC area I have to tell you, it barely qualifies as commute traffic.) We decided to build here so we could be near the mountains; it's glorious to look outside and see them so close, surrounding you. We also do a lot of shopping and use the library up in Monument, which is right up the road.

This is a high income area and it shows: lots of new houses and developments, all nicely kept and family oriented and more and more restaurants and businesses - and now the new mall - are moving in to serve the growing population. The schools are excellent, we are closer to Castle Rock (and the outet mall), Park Meadows (the beautiful mall and surrounding shopping area that has everything, including Ikea) and all the attractions in Denver; you just hop on I-25 and go straight north. Being retired military we also like being close to the Academy and the BX, commissary, pharmacy, etc.

We may get a little bit more snow in Northgate due to the elevation but it just makes the scenery prettier and doesn't effect day to day life at all.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 AM

641 posts, read 1,958,724 times
I don't live in Northgate....can't afford to. The houses up there are big! Over the past few years, I often wondered why folks lived up there.....it's not really in town..... but not really out of town.....it always seemed like a very isolated area to live in.....there wasn't much up that way just a few years ago. To me, it was just an oddly placed patch of housing between the North end of the Springs and Monument/Palmer Lake.

The North Gate area was dubbed so, because of it's proximity (I-25) to the North Gate of the Air Force Academy, and that's all it was.

That's changing by leaps and bounds though....and I think with the completion of the Mega Bass Pro Shop, which will be a huge tourist draw as well, the Northgate area will be the next most desirable place to live.

There's a few shopping centers up there now, (Home Depot, Kohls, etc), but it's growing rapidly.

With the completion of additional restaurants/shopping within the next couple of years, and it's proximity to Castle Rock and Denver, I think it will evolve into the place everyone will want to be....if you can afford it.

I think eventually the urban sprawl will extend from where Powers Blvd stops, up through Voyager parkway, and all the way up through Northgate. Eventually, it will just end up being an integrated part of Colorado Springs proper and areas that are considered the Northern end of town today....(Briargate, Old Ranch areas), will shift, and end up being thought of as more the middle part of town, and Northgate will become the Northern part of town.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,362,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
Over the past few years, I often wondered why folks lived up there...
Me too.
Quote:
I think eventually the urban sprawl will extend from where Powers Blvd stops, up through Voyager parkway, and all the way up through Northgate.
Me too.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM

577 posts, read 673,084 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. Northgate has great views, the housing is mainly new to newer. Lots vary in size from larger to more dense neighborhoods. It is well kept and attractive. There are also areas with new patio home/condo development. It has good access to the Interstate. It's further from typical access points to the mountains i.e. for Highway 24 to go up to Teller County you have to drive west across town but still only about 25 minutes to get across the city unless there is a traffic issue.

Northgate is very popular with families and retired folks. Very good schools. It's a lovely suburb with a very suburban feel. Some areas look a bit more "cookie cutter" and other parts have a very custom look. They are adding more restaurants to the area, mostly chains but the better chains and a selection of the big chain stores that others have mentioned as well.

We lived up there for about 5 1/2 years. Nothing negative other than I did not like the suburban feel and the amount of traffic anytime I had to go anywhere. It is a very nice part of town but it always feels hustling to me when you are out and about (again this is my personal opinion, everyone is different). Of course you coming from California will probably find the traffic minimal all over town by comparison.

When we sold our house we looked at three areas that were a better fit for us; downtown, westside and the older southwest side (Cheyenne Canyon Road and older Skyway area). We prefer older homes, the feel of old tree lined streets, and the "porch" culture. We ended up finding a house that we liked just northeast of downtown. Up north people were friendly enough, but it seemed that we hardly knew any of our neighbors and even then it was often just a quick wave pulling in and out of garages. Downtown we know blocks of them. It's common summer evenings for neighbors to go porch to porch with a glass of wine or a bottle of beer and visit with each other, there are lots of block parties and BBQs. People really take the time to get to know and look out for each other. The pace seems more laid back, almost small town.

The walking here is great, we have four dogs and we like walking them up the trail along Shooks Run and stopping for a bite to eat at Dog Tooth Coffee (they have a dog friendly patio). We walk them downtown along Tejon Street where a couple of the gallery and shop owners recognize us when we walk by and always have dog treats on hand. We also love walking them along the trails in Monument Valley Park and then back along Wood Ave and Culebra Street to admire the amazing old turn of century mansions mostly built by wealth acquired by the gold rush.

From where I live I can be right in the core of downtown in about a 15 to 20 minute leisurely walk or a five minute bike ride. We love walking to the Saint Patrick's parade downtown then hitting some pubs along Tejon Street then walking home. No worries about driving after a few pints, although the walk home on Saint Pats day typically takes us a fair bit longer than 15 minutes...

Being in a very walkable more eclectic area was important to us. We had a larger home with an amazing view when we lived in the northern area but we have a larger life here. And we can still see the mountains once the 40 foot trees drop their leaves

You need to take a look at your lifestyle and interests and examine what will work better for you. At your age, without kids yet, you might enjoy being in a less suburban area or you may find the shopping conveniences of the northern end of town are better for you.

You should also take a look at the northwest part of town, Rockrimmon, Mountain Shadows for example. You have closer access to the mountains with beautiful views and Ute Valley Park and Garden of the Gods Park are great for mountain biking and hiking. Still convenient to shopping and eateries. You would be close to Trinity Brewing on Garden of the Gods Road which is putting out some very fine beer.

The good thing about renting first is you will not be committed for years to a location like you would if you bought a home in a neighborhood that was not quite the right fit. You will have the opportunity to explore the town and see which area speaks to you, or even look at other spots along the front range that may be a perfect fit. With your budget of $2500/month you should have no problem affording a nice place in almost any nice part of Colorado Springs other than the really, really high end areas.

And it's Colorado, so how can you go wrong says the native

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 10-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: The OP mentioned budget and their ages in another thread on the main Colorado forum, I am not actually psychic...

Old 10-22-2013, 10:43 PM

409 posts, read 559,633 times
All of the neighborhoods mentioned on this thread are really nice. Hey, this whole area is pretty nice - it's hard to go wrong.

It's funny, we really wanted a neighborhood more like what StarrySkies described, with trees, porches, neighbors, but getting what we needed with that criteria was out of our price range. We needed enough room for a decent woodworking shop, and couldn't find anything with an alley garage suitable, so we ended up with a newer house with a huge 9' deep basement.

We also really liked the west side, and put a bid on a house in Woodstone, just north of Rockrimmon. Great neighborhood, but the deal fell through.

Once we realized that we were probably going to end up in D20 schools, instead of Steele or another D11 neighborhood, I read about the schools in this neighborhood. Maybe the OP doesn't care, but perhaps somebody else reading the thread will. In Northgate/GlenEagle, you have elementary schools of Antelope Trails, Discovery Canyon, or Da Vinci Academy. The first two are IB schools - very tempting for us. We ended in at Da Vinci, and we LOVE it. It's an arts integration school, and the kids are getting great attention and a great education. I love their teachers. They'll move on to Discovery Canyon, which is Science/Tech, with Space and Aviation curriculum. Since my oldest son has wanted to be a rocket engineer since he was 4, this is the perfect fit for us.

Once I realized this, it was just a matter of finding something with the right budget, in a friendly neighborhood, where a shop would work out. The neighborhood we're in is VERY friendly. I drove through more than several times before we put the bid in on the house - people were out walking, everybody waved, asked how we were doing, neighbors were out talking to each other.

We're the only house on our street without a porch, and the trees are still pretty small - I figure they'll grow. On the other hand, I wake up to a view of snow covered Pikes Peak from my bed every morning, so I'm not sure I want the trees to get too big and get in the way.

With respect to development, there are a good handful of restaurants going in to Copper Ridge: C.B. & Potts coming to Copper Ridge development in Colorado Springs

I'm sure traffic will get worse once that's in, but honestly, I can't say that traffic bothers me at all right now. Then again, we moved here from the DC area.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,719,755 times
Quote:
I don't live in Northgate....can't afford to. The houses up there are big! Over the past few years, I often wondered why folks lived up there.....it's not really in town..... but not really out of town.....it always seemed like a very isolated area to live in.....there wasn't much up that way just a few years ago.
You answered your own wonderings.

People live up there because:
1. The houses are big.
2. It's not really in town (they don't want that inner city feel, at all)
3. It's not really "out" of town (they want to limit the commute time, this is the perfect compromise.)
4. It seems like a very isolated area to live (Again, they wanted some isolation)
5. There wasn't much up that way a few years ago (They wanted to avoid areas that are more susceptible to getting "section 8"ed.)

I'm not sure if you realized that you were perfectly listing the reasons as you went, but those things you noticed are the reasons.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 PM

641 posts, read 1,958,724 times
Lurts....I agree....those wonderings were my thoughts on the area just a few short years ago....now I find myself wishing I lived up there! ...I just don't see being able to afford the home prices up there any time soon.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM

409 posts, read 559,633 times
Quote:
Lurts....I agree....those wonderings were my thoughts on the area just a few short years ago....now I find myself wishing I lived up there! ...I just don't see being able to afford the home prices up there any time soon.
I suppose it depends what you consider affordable? There are many different levels of neighborhoods around here.

Walk into a model in Flying Horse, and say you want to stay under $400k, and they, well, they don't quite laugh. But they might as well. I take that back - you can stay under $400k in FH, but barely, and it depends what you want.

Walk into the Covington model just north of Mission Coffee, and say you want under $400k, and they DO laugh, because there's nothing in there that will come anywhere close to that. You could build a nice home in that Covington neighborhood for the low 2s, I think. Across Voyager from where Da Vinci and Mary Kyer park are is the new Stonewater neighborhood. I think you could easily build in there something pretty nice for around $300k. Loaded for $350. I had my eye on a super upgraded lot with view and walk out basement, 4 car garage, extra deep basement, all of the upgraded everything, and we'd have come in around $360k.

Then there's Greyhawk, which isn't Flying Horse, but I like to think of as FH's little, cheaper brother. A little less fancy, but you can get essentially the same house as FH for 50-100k cheaper. It's an easy walk to the park in FH, plus you have access to Discovery Canyon for middle and HS which was funded by FH (I believe). HOA in here is under $30/month, whereas FH is something like $76 a month, and that's WITHOUT the clubhouse membership.

Also in Greyhawk, you're easy walking distance to a couple of restaurants, a nail salon, fitness place, and more is being built.

Anyway... sorry for going on. This wasn't what we were looking for, but we're happy to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or