U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 PM

23 posts, read 34,771 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Colorado around early july with a friend and girlfriend. we have been looking at Colorado springs and few houses in Northgate Estates. and I was just wondering what the winters are like around that area. we are looking for places that have good snowfall during the winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 PM

310 posts, read 360,094 times
We live in Northgate and we get a bit more snow and slightly colder temperatures than the southern part of the Springs. That being said, the snow doesn't stay on the ground that long, especially if your driveway doesn't face north. (Something we actually paid attention to when we chose a lot to build on since my husband hates to shovel snow. Of course, now that we have two girls in high school there are tons of teenage boys volunteering to shovel for us just to hang out with them so it's not an issue!) Getting in and out of the neighbourhoods up here after a snow storm can be a bit tricky but doable without snow tires or 4 wheel drive but Northgate and Voyager are always plowed quickly and have lots of traffic (so the heat generated from all the cars keep the street warm) so they don't get icy very often.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 PM

thank you for the reply Mrs Mac. ive been reading that a lot about the snow not staying on the ground for to long. is it gone like within the day? I know it depends on the snowfall but on average

Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 AM

577 posts, read 672,136 times
It depends on snowfall amounts but really temperature, dry air and the intense sun does away with snow quickly along the front range, usually a day or two is typical. Shaded areas or north side of the house might last longer. Also the wind will make snow vanish, in fact some of our winds are called Chinooks which means snow eater.

We can get very large storms like the blizzard of 1997 which hit on October 26, and paralyzed the city. My husband and I were able to cross country ski to my parents house on city streets. But these are not frequent occurrences. Colorado and the west have been in a severe drought for the past 10 years so our winters have been really lacking in moisture which has had devastating effects on our state. Hopefully we will see some snow this winter.

If you are looking for an area with deep snow that sticks around, Colorado Springs and the front range is not that. Even Teller County (Woodland Park) does not have frequent large, lingering amounts of snow. It is pretty dry and brown here in the winter.

Some of the best snowfall would be in the San Juan mountains; areas like Pagosa Springs get a lot of snow. Also Summit County (Blue River, Breck, Frisco, Silverthorne) or up in Steamboat Springs, other ski towns such as Aspen, Telluride and Crested Butte. Ouray (known as the Switzerland of America and home to the largest ice festival in North America gets good snow but it's in a narrow box canyon that gets about four hours of direct sunlight in the winter. All gorgeous areas and fun to visit but they are expensive to live in and tend to lack jobs.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 10-17-2013 at 01:37 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,492,793 times
Avoid north facing driveways! Look for passive solar houses to capitalize on the sun's heating power in winter.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,358,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Avoid north facing driveways!
Most of what people put into these 'what's the weather like' threads isn't very useful because our weather varies so much from place to place, month to month, and season to season. But this one piece of advice is almost always true no matter what neighborhood you choose and when. "Avoid north facing driveways!" I have an East facing driveway and I almost never shovel the thing because the wind does the work for me. If my driveway faced North (or, for the most part, West) the opposite would be true. The wind would always be drifting snow INTO my driveway. So, yes, definitely avoid North facing driveways and try to choose one that faces south, or at least East.

Other than that, what's the weather like? I can tell you what it's like right now where I'm at. It's pretty nice... sunny and 50 with a slight wind. Tomorrow calls for a high of 40, 60% chance of snow w/accum. of 1" or less. But it could just as easily by sunny and 50 again. As for next week or next month, your guess is as good as mine. Probably not 80, but also probably not -50 with 5 feet of snow either. Gusty wind is always a good bet.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 PM

haha so what im picking up is the weather is pretty erratic. now not a weather question. is their nicer (safer, higher income) places? is like the northern part of Colorado springs a nice place?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 PM

and I understand it all depends on the neighborhood. but im wondering in general. I am looking at the north of CS. northgate estates area. wondering if that's overall a nice area? with a monthly rent limit around 2500 a month. is that one of the nicer areas for around that price?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM

20,340 posts, read 37,854,657 times
It's ALL good up there.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 AM

409 posts, read 559,179 times
The entire Northgate area is pretty nice. I wanted to be more downtown, but we didn't find anything that met our needs. So here we are in Northgate!

How long will you be here? There's a Bass Pro Shop opening very soon, about a half mile from that neighborhood. Bourbon Brothers Smokehouse looks like it's coming along quickly. There are other restaurants and shops slated to be in that area soon, too, as well as a shooting range come spring. Additional amenities will be nice, but it will also mean additional traffic.

With respect to the North facing driveways... My husband and I are both from Wisconsin, so we kind of pooh-poohed the advice. Shoveling? What's a little shoveling? Well, we ended up with a south-facing driveway, and I'm so glad. Here, it seems that the snowfall is much more frequent, though smaller in amount, than someplace like Wisconsin. With a south facing driveway we can forget about it. Our deck stayed snowy and icy for days after the first snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or