U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM

5,030 posts, read 6,745,874 times

Advertisements

southeast parts of the city itself (not surrounding areas like Security/Widefield/Fountain) are generally considered the higher crime areas of town, although by many's standards that still isn't much. Pueblo also has its higher crime areas. For retiring, I would think people would go more for Pueblo West, but people have different tastes so you'd have to come down and see what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,738,317 times
Pueblo West is nice. Most of CS is nice. There are some parts of CS (as mentioned) that are rougher, but it is nothing like Chicago's slums. The poor areas here just aren't as bad as the poor areas of many other cities. Security/Widefield is wonderful. I went through there the other day (I live in the northern suburbs) and loved the area. Denver is a great city, but has far more traffic problems.

I couldn't live in Cheyenne. The weather and lack of things to do (even though I don't go out to waste money) would drive me crazy. Here, we have the one dollar theatre. It's one dollar on tuesdays, one seventy five regular. It's a common destination during dinner and movie night with my wife. We probably average going about once a month. Any of the cities will offer you much better outdoor opportunities.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:00 PM

37 posts, read 30,878 times
Hi Saddlerj,

Yes. Well... southeast and south. These are "higher" crime areas. To me, they're not bad. I used to live in Atlanta. So there are no hoods that really scare me too much but for anyone coming here from a more middle class area, the south and southeast can seem like a bad part of town. Pueblo, I don't know much about. I've been through there but it seemed a depressed area somewhat. I think jobs are hard to find most anywhere but they are there. As for me, I love it here in the Springs even with the little bit of snow and very cold temps we're experiencing now. I could live here even into retirement. I can't say the same about Pueblo or even Denver.

All the best!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 AM

74 posts, read 97,551 times
I got savings to last me a few months and I'm getting 2 months of full pay still after when I get out because all of the leave I got saved up. So I'll be good for about 5 months but should be plenty of time to find a job, or if not just start college full time and than work part time as well. And for rent, I would love to find a roommate to just get me started but since i don't know anyone around that area than it would be tough to do right now. Im expecting to move out there around late February, and I don't need no fancy place to live either, just something to get me started and back on my feet.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:39 AM

Default CO Springs or Denver?

I'm sure people ask this question a lot, but what city would be the best idea for some one who's in their young 20's, single, and just getting out of the military? I know Denver is bigger, more jobs and more opportunities, but the cost of living there is more. CO Springs is lower cost of living, more activities to do outdoors wise but fewer job opportunities there. Where would be the best place to go to for a Community College?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,965,834 times
It's going to be difficult to suggest anything if you don't give a budget.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 AM

13,252 posts, read 18,929,289 times
Colorado Springs has Pikes Peak Community College

[greater] Denver has
Arapahoe
Aurora
Red Rocks
Front Range
Denver

more info at CCCS Map of Community Colleges

Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,643,156 times
Thanks for your service. There are a wide variety of options in the Denver MSA and you will likely find a roommate situation more acceptable there than in COS. I will say that if you get the CC degree outside the state and then move there, you might be better off. Colorado is taking money out of upper education to fund mandates in K-12 education. A lot of other states are taking advantage of this as out-of-state tuition in WY, MT, ND, SD, ID are all cheaper than to go in state in Colorado. It is only going to get worse as time goes on and it may not get fixed until CU is kicked out of the PAC-12.

There isn't much for CC in COS. I'm assuming that if you are interested in CC, you don't have a security clearance and in the IT field. There are those positions in COS and are well paid but require a lot more than a CC degree. There's basically Pikes Peak CC and I never heard people in town to be very satisfied with the offerings. There are a lot of for-profits in COS and I recommend staying away from them. A former co-worker got is PhD in Business Administration from one of them and didn't know how to calculate a simple ROI (return on investment). Can you say diploma mill?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 PM

20,396 posts, read 37,978,726 times
I've put all 4 of the OP's threads into one joint thread so we can keep all his info in one spot and our regulars only have to reply once.

Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:33 PM

What about CTU college, I been talking to them all week abut getting my Bachelor Degree in IT in just 3 years. And yes I do have money saved up and I will still getting my active duty paychecks 2 months after I get out as well. Plus if I go to school full time I get BAH plus I also get my disability check as well. So I'm not worried about money at all, just looking for a cheap place to live and trying to find out what city would be better off to live in because I want to do a lot of hiking and exploring on my time off. I know CTU has a campus in CO Springs and in Denver as well. I heard CO Springs is better for the outdoors kind of life and a little more cheaper than Denver to live in, and plus Fort Carson is right there too so I can go back onto base for anything I need as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs