Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:50 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times

Advertisements

All indications point to Colorado Springs or Pueblo, the only exception being CTU is a place that some posters feel is not that good. We have UC-CS here, and UC-Pueblo that would give you a solid degree, not sure the value of a degree from CTU. Here's some info from an older thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 PM

74 posts, read 120,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
All indications point to Colorado Springs or Pueblo, the only exception being CTU is a place that some posters feel is not that good. We have UC-CS here, and UC-Pueblo that would give you a solid degree, not sure the value of a degree from CTU. Here's some info from an older thread.
That post is over 6 years old, so the information on that thread is outdated and pretty useless to be honest because a lot can change over the past 6 years, might be for the good or bad lol. But what are some other colleges in CO Springs that offer Bachelor degrees in the IT fields?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 PM

UCCS does.

Colorado College does. CC is pricey, can cost up to $40k/year.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Colleges in CO Springs

What are some good colleges in the CO springs area? I been looking at CTU and also CO Springs University, which one offers the best Bachelor degree in IT for a military veteran? Are there other good colleges around the area or should I should at different schools?

Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,201,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor91 View Post
That post is over 6 years old, so the information on that thread is outdated and pretty useless to be honest because a lot can change over the past 6 years, might be for the good or bad lol. But what are some other colleges in CO Springs that offer Bachelor degrees in the IT fields?
The PhD I knew has a CTU degree. I do not recommend them. I would recommend UCCS. CC faculty is hyper-liberal so you probably won't like it. UCCS does have some newer dorms on campus so costs are lower.

You said you want a low cost of living. Colorado is a lot of things but cheap isn't one of them.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,138,059 times
You can probably get up to half of your credits needed for a 4 year degree from a state university at a community college., which will be more cost effective. The community colleges here have programs which guarantee 60 credits will transfer to a state college.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 AM

409 posts, read 700,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
You can probably get up to half of your credits needed for a 4 year degree from a state university at a community college., which will be more cost effective. The community colleges here have programs which guarantee 60 credits will transfer to a state college.

This is good advice. PPCC is MUCH cheaper than UCCS, and you can get a lot done there. UCCS is very good at working with PPCC, and the advisers might even suggest to take one class or another at PPCC.

If you're coming from out of state, they're both much pricier at that tuition level. Can't speak to military benefits or any of that - give them a call. I've found that talking to people at both institutions is very helpful, and they're very friendly.

I'm taking one class this fall at PPCC, and one in the spring at UCCS before I start an almost full time program at UCCS in the fall (if I get in!) once I have in-state tuition. So far, my experience at UCCS indicates that they really know what they're doing.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:35 AM

I'm not paying for school or any of my books lol, its all free to me all I gotta do is pass all my classes. I'm in the Vocational Rehab program from the VA I get 4 years of education for free. I really want to get my Bachelors Degree in IT. But the only hard thing is, is trying to decide on a college in state or even online.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:39 PM

UC-Pueblo also offers a BS in computer science / IT and the town or Pueblo is about the lowest cost place along the I-25 Front Range corridor. Pueblo is commuting distance to/from COLO SPGS, but I'd bet there's a lot more jobs for VETS in the COLO SPGS area which is a big town for retired and former Army/USAF types.

There are some VET services in Pueblo, more in COLO SPGS and IIRC even more in the Denver Area. Here's the list for COLO.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:52 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor91 View Post
Well a little about me, I'm 22 years old male, I have been in the Army for over 2 and a half years now, I'm stationed in Virginia but I'm getting out on medical due to my back, so I will have a small disability check coming in every month. I have been thinking about Denver and Co Springs, I know Denver has a lot more job opportunities but the cost of living is a little more. CO Springs has Fort Carson right there so I could still be able to use some benefits on base but I heard finding a job down there takes a long time. I'm looking to just rent a cheap studio or 1 bedroom apt or find someone looking for a roommate just to get myself started on my new life. I need opinions and advice on if I should move to Denver or CO Springs and yes I am a huge Broncos fan, I am originally from a really small town in Iowa and I was thinking about going there but the job market is terrible there and I want a fresh start
COLORADO COLORADO COLORADO.

I lived in Iowa for several years. I left less than 2 years ago. The job market there is still crap, despite the "unemployment" numbers. The numbers are heavily biased because of the nature of the market (nepotism) and the way unemployed numbers are counted (students can be omitted).

I'll post again once I catch up on what else has been said in the thread. Just wanted to point out: "Moving to Iowa is often a mistake". When I told people there I was moving to Colorado, many got a sad look on their face and told me they had a chance to leave once. They had the saddest stories about how they had lost their chance, and I was determined not to have it happen to me. You would think this would be a rare occurrence, but I probably had it happen around 10 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs