U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:49 PM

74 posts, read 97,058 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to CO, its beeb my dream to do it and right now is the best chance to do it for me when I get out of the Army. Now I need some advice for the top low cost city's/towns in CO to move too. I'm not looking to buy a house right away so I will either rent an apartment or rent a room in someone's house to get me started. Is work easy to find around Colorado Springs and Denver? Are there good bars and restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 05:03 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Low cost means Pueblo. If you're at Fort Carson it's only 30 minutes south on I-25.

The bigger the city the more jobs. In that respect, Denver is the big dog of cities for 500 miles in any direction.

No shortage of bars or restaurants in Denver or Colo Spgs.

Padmapper.com for rental listings. Beware of scammers on craigslist.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Default Is CO Springs a good place for a Veteran?

I been to CO Springs when I was younger and loved the area. Now im thinking about relocating there to go to school after I get out of the army in a few months. Is it a good city for veterans to live and find work? Hows the cost of living there?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 AM

It's an excellent place for veterans. THOUSANDS of military retirees and veterans here.

Cost of living is well cheaper than cities further north up I-25.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Thank you, im currently stationed here in Virginia and hopefully be in CO Springs in the next 4 months. Is it pretty easy to find work up there? Do you know anything about the colleges up there?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 AM

Can't really advise on work, there is always some to be had.

We've some fine colleges here.
- Colorado College (CC). Smaller private college, very expensive.
- Univ of COLO, COLO SPGS, (UCCS). Medium sized state college.
- Pikes Peak Community College (PPCC), affordable, very decent.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:03 AM

8,595 posts, read 5,120,460 times
Default Anywhere, TX vs Colorado Springs for a vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor91 View Post
I been to CO Springs when I was younger and loved the area. Now im thinking about relocating there to go to school after I get out of the army in a few months. Is it a good city for veterans to live and find work? Hows the cost of living there?
As a Viet vet, I understand where you are coming from. I absolutely love Colorado and the wife and I hope to return there when she retires early next year.

But I think the job scene is tough there right now (my son lives in Parker, a city in the southern metroplex of Denver). He says the job scene is not as good right now, but has improved some in the last 2-3 years.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate Texas, but economically it is viable, and higher education (if that is what you are looking at) is much less expensive than Colorado. Because student loans can now add up to be as much or more than a mortgage, I would recommend community colleges down here for the first two years before transferring to a university (I actually recommend that for anywhere now, and I spent a year as a top administrator in a college [a long time ago, and in a galaxy far, far away]). Off the top of my head, I would guess Texas community colleges are half the price of Colorado community colleges. And I have attended community college in both states.

Jobs are easier to come by in Texas, and the cost of housing is a LOT less, too. Also, there is no state income tax.

But for sheer beauty, wonderful outdoor activities, four complete seasons, and more political balance, I'd pick Colorado hands down over Texas. If you've put your 20 years in, then you have an income and the bases in the Springs would give you access to the PX and the base commissary.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 10-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: added last sentence

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM

50 posts, read 60,948 times
Colorado Springs is a military town and the cost of living is lower than Denver and obviously the mountain towns. With that said, the job market prospects are definitely better in Denver. Both places have a number of bars / restaurants. Depends more on some other variable you might be considering. Let me know if I can be of more help.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM

37 posts, read 30,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor91 View Post
I'm looking to relocate to CO, its beeb my dream to do it and right now is the best chance to do it for me when I get out of the Army. Now I need some advice for the top low cost city's/towns in CO to move too. I'm not looking to buy a house right away so I will either rent an apartment or rent a room in someone's house to get me started. Is work easy to find around Colorado Springs and Denver? Are there good bars and restaurants?
If you're by yourself, you can find something decent in the $800-900 range. Not to discourage you at all but housing here is a little expensive for a city of this size (middle-size city). If you're in the city limits though, you'll find the utilities are pretty cheap compared places back east or the south. So, it kind of makes up for it in a way. In Atlanta my gas, water, electricity and trash all together was roughly $450/month (and we did the whole turn out the lights, use little water, yada, yada). Here, for almost the same size house the same utilities have not been over $225/month. And of course I spend very little on gas because I don't have to travel 60 miles roundtrip into Atlanta everyday :-).

If you're single you can pretty much live anywhere in the Springs but I would avoid due east of the city and the southern parts. West is where the cool people live ;-) -- IF you can find a place there, central is kind of cool but it is downtown almost (expensive, hard to find) and north is cool if you like a burb feel -- places are bigger here but you pay for it. Way further north and west is country but it's very nice if you like that sort of thing.

To be perfectly honest, it is just difficult to find a place here but with some persistence you'll find it. It really is a GREAT place to live.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,353,369 times
If you're willing to rent a room from someone or have an apartment with roommates, then the cost of living can be do-able anywhere and you should just choose Denver because you will find a lot more potential jobs there. But of course, if you choose Pueblo, you can easily get your own little place for about the same that your share of an apartment or sublet room would cost further north. I think maybe you need to figure out where your best job prospects are first (considering growth options as a priority over starting pay) and then just do what you have to do to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs