U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 11:55 AM

24 posts, read 33,031 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear from other middle Midwesterners that have first hand experience comparing typical weather in CO Springs lets say to western Iowa. I would guess its more moderate all the way around in CO. Is there a long swimming season in CO summers? Would like to know generalizations about all seasons from newbies and natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:32 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,348,896 times
I haven't been to Western Iowa much but I have spent some time in Western Missouri.
To me the weather is much better in CO overall. However it seems that Fall and Spring in the midwest has some very nice weather. It's the exact opposite here... Fall and especially Spring bring some very unpredictable weather to most parts of CO.

Summers are wonderful, but short, so the traditional swimming season is as well. Not a lot of pools here, and most are indoors. Lake swimming is possible, but there's not a ton of places that allow it so they get crowded in summer.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM

794 posts, read 1,491,804 times
Since many people on these forums are not aware of the wealth of information collected by City-Data, I feel free to post this link: http://www.city-data.com/city/Colora...-Colorado.html . If you scroll down about 1/4 of the way down the page you come to some weather data. Notice that in late July-early August the average night-time temperatures FINALLY raise to 50 deg. So, outdoor unheated pools have a rather short season even for the cold tolerant.

Believe it or not, thunderstorms may actually be more common in Colorado Springs - almost daily somewhere in El Paso county in late July-early August. They will be far less powerful than you are used to in Iowa, and tornadoes are pretty rare in the Springs. Summer highs are going to be generally 10 deg. less than in Iowa, and winter lows are not going to be quite as low as in Iowa. The big difference is the lower humidity year around in the Springs. It never feels as hot nor as cold as it does in Iowa. Which brings up another difference - Colorado Springs is a near-desert environment with only 15 - 16 inches of precipitation a year on average. This seems to come as a surprise to many people who move here.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 PM

9,164 posts, read 16,510,896 times
I grew up in western Iowa and have lived in northern Wyoming for several decades. Generally, the weather even 250 miles north of Denver is better than in Iowa -- waaaaaay less humidity, more sunshine, less snow, milder summers, and while the winter temps aren't much higher (maybe lower), it FEELS warmer because the air is drier and the sun is warmer. Denver's weather is milder than northern Wyoming's, and much nicer than western Iowa's.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:37 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,737,637 times
The winters in Colorado Springs are actually quite mild. There are many days when you won't even need a jacket. You may even need sunscreen in winter because of the intense sunlight. But, even though December and January tend to be pretty dry (rarely snows on Christmas) there are also some heavy snows in October and April. Temperatures in winter are generally in the 30's and 40's, but it's not unusual to have 50 degrees and sun on Christmas day. Nights are cold, in the 20's or 30's. Basically, the weather is fickle. Snowstorms in COS are short lived, and most snow melts in a day or so due to the low humidity, higher elevation, and sun. Many people think of Colorado and picture deep snow, but what they're thinking of are the ski areas, which are much farther west of the Front Range cities like Denver and COS. Most of the winter is dry, brown and fairly comfortable.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
I lived in Iowa for several years. One of the many reasons I was excite to get out of that ****hole was the terrible winter weather there. Knowing that I despised the "stupid cold" winters, I decided to move to CS. I love the winters here. The summer is shorter, though in part that is a reflection of the summer feeling shorter because it is very nice most days, where the Iowa summer sucks. The pool time would be short (outdoors) because of the night time lows.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 AM

8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times
my first big snow in Colorado was in November of 1990. We got 14 inches of snow in Castle Rock, which is an hour north of the Springs. The next morning I went out to shovel snow off our driveway and sidewalk. The sun was shining bright, it was perhaps 30-32 degrees, and I was out there 90 minutes in jeans and a long sleeved shirt, perfectly comfortable until I would get in a shaded area.

The only reason Coloradans show those big snowstorms is to keep Iowans and Minnesotoans from thinking it would be any better there than where they are!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs