U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

Im looking at a possible relocation from a "semi-wealthy" suburb of Chicago (about 40 min drive). (19 sq miles about 75k people - VERY safe with almost 0 crime) As you can see Im very used to having a peace of mind but I frequent Chicago a lot so Im not totally blind.

Im looking at Colorado Springs because my girlfriend is being stationed at Ft. Carson in the next few months. I will most likely be working in Denver (this hasnt been determined yet but very good possibility). With keeping that in mind where is a good location (specific apartment complexes would help immensely). I plan on coming out around New Years to check out the area with a move in around mid jan/feb 1

I was thinking up near Briargate? Ive heard good things about the area and crime maps seem that its pretty safe. I know to avoid SE Springs but where is the cutoff?

What Im looking for:
1) Safe area (obviously minus the typical precautions - im not saying i want to leave my iphone laying on my dashboard)

2) Great Views of the mountains (wildlife a huge plus)

3) Im not very religious (read this is common in COSP so just putting that out there)

4) I do not have family but plan on getting a dog sometime during my stay

5) I would like a nice apartment complex "close" to I25 for my commute to Denver

6) I would like to stay within about a 20-25 min drive at peak times to Ft. Carson

all help is GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Everyone on this forum cringes at the thought of partner A at Fort Carson and partner B working in Denver as that is one HELLISH commuting pattern.

Briargate is at the upper end of the 20-25 minute commute to Carson, more like 30-40 minutes from door to door. An hour commute from Briargate to the southern end of Denver metro area, 90 minutes for downtown Denver job sites. Even if you find a lesser paying job in COLO SPGS, you'll save a ton on gas and time.

There are nice apartments (Sagebrook) on Briargate Pkwy, just off of I-25 at exit 151.

The religious folks here don't bother anyone; won't be an issue for you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,350,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontburntheday View Post
5) I would like a nice apartment complex "close" to I25 for my commute to Denver
Where in Denver?
Even if it's at the very southern end of Denver (or even Lonetree) that's one lousy commute up and over the divide every day, especially in winter. I definitely would not recommend living any further SOUTH than Briargate. And you'll need a alternate route because that stretch of freeway between Monument and Greenland gets closed ~ 1-3 times per year.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 AM

8,585 posts, read 5,115,237 times
My son's father-in-law has commuted from Castle Pines to Petersen AFB for at least ten years or more. He has told me numerous times that it is sometimes bad but not onerous, except for Monument Hill in the winter. Note that the southern edge of Denver proper is probably 15 miles north of Castle Pines.

Personally I wouldn't do it for any amount of money, but I point this out to the OP to say it IS doable, but you put a lot of mileage on your vehicle, and I would suggest a six-cylinder as opposed to four---so you can't really get much mileage economy either.

P.S. I lived in Naperville for about 18 months and took the metro to stay off the roads. Colorado absolutely does not have the kind of public transportation you are accustomed to, so park and ride is not the same kind of option as in Chicago except in very limited situations. Get a car and make sure the tires are in tip top shape.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
You mentioned apartment complex, and the best apartment complex in the city for your needs is camelback pointe. Negotiate for concessions, I worked a much better deal than the opening offer. I lived there for about six months before closing on a house, and I loved it. Check it out and see what you think. They are not into the "party scene" like many young people. The complex has tons of retired people and requires a decent credit score.

If you wanted to rent a house, you'd want to be North of UCCS, given your taste. You can go as far North as Gleneagle and she will still have a short commute to Fort Carson because of the free way speeds. We don't do that thing where people go 12 on the freeway because there is more cars than asphalt. Our road system actually functions. I've been to Chicago a few times, I know what the downtown area is like

Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
My son's father-in-law has commuted from Castle Pines to Petersen AFB for at least ten years or more. He has told me numerous times that it is sometimes bad but not onerous, except for Monument Hill in the winter. Note that the southern edge of Denver proper is probably 15 miles north of Castle Pines.

Personally I wouldn't do it for any amount of money, but I point this out to the OP to say it IS doable, but you put a lot of mileage on your vehicle, and I would suggest a six-cylinder as opposed to four---so you can't really get much mileage economy either.

P.S. I lived in Naperville for about 18 months and took the metro to stay off the roads. Colorado absolutely does not have the kind of public transportation you are accustomed to, so park and ride is not the same kind of option as in Chicago except in very limited situations. Get a car and make sure the tires are in tip top shape.
Yea theres a lot of thinking that needs to be done but I still have a lot of time to think too. I currently use the Metra twice a week when I work downtown and I wish there was something like that out there aswell but I was already informed thats not the case. Im used to doing a good amount of driving for work (40 min drives ish) which doesnt bother me too much, but the only problem I might face is that I have a FWD MANUAL 4 cylinder which may not be well in the winter months, but has worked for a few years in our Chicago winters, but thats not the mountains.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontburntheday View Post
the only problem I might face is that I have a FWD MANUAL 4 cylinder which may not be well in the winter months, but has worked for a few years in our Chicago winters, but thats not the mountains.
You won't be driving in the mountains between Springs and Denver. You'll be driving on I-25 over a hill. The elevation change is significant but it's gradual. It's not the same as mountain driving. Your car should be fine with good tires (and chains just in case) but it doesn't matter what you're driving on days that they close the hill. That usually happens at least once each year. It's usally in the winter, but sometimes int he summer too due to wrecks. Monument Hill is a very easy pass, as passes go, but people still get freaked out and slam ont heir brakes or otherwise drive horribly as soon as it's in sight, even on the nicest of days.

We have FREX, which a lot of people take, but it will be a lot slower than driving and probably not that much cheaper. You will have time to read or whatever. But it's a bus, so it's just as susceptible to traffic and road closures as anything.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
We have FREX, which a lot of people take, ....
IIRC, the new mayor cancelled FREX the other year, i.e., there's no bus service between COLO SPGS and Denver these days.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM

309 posts, read 358,815 times
There are some lovely apartment complexes up here in Northgate - I pass Bella Springs almost every day. I-25 is right here, we have gorgeous mountain views, and it's a safe area. I can make it to the commissary at Ft. Carson in about a half hour (though I never go during commute) and it's about 40 minutes straight up I-25 to the southern part of Denver so Northgate is right around the half way mark between your commutes.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IIRC, the new mayor cancelled FREX the other year, i.e., there's no bus service between COLO SPGS and Denver these days.
Whoa, I guess I'm out of the loop. Thanks. That seems like a lame move, but whatever.
So no FREX, but commuting that far on it daily wouldn't have been very good anyways, I don't think. I really think your best option is to get a job in Springs. Otherwise, I'd say get a place on Palmer Divide and split the difference, if your partner is up for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs