U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,811 times

Advertisements

Hi there, this is my first time to post to any kind of forum but everyone seems so helpful and nice on here so here goes nothing. Go easy on me please.

My husband and I will be moving to the Colorado Springs area in a year or so. I know it's really early but I am a planner and we will be making several trips in that time to visit the areas we think would work best for us. We have been to Colorado Springs a few times and absolutely love it but we have not looked at the surrounding areas where we would actually want to live yet (Doing that in November). We are from a very small town in Texas, in fact I have to chuckle a little when people say Woodland Park is a small town with a population of 7,000 or so when I consider our town just hit 2,000. The nearest Walmart is 20-30 mins away and don't even think about a mall or department stores. Needless to say we are not looking for a super small town but we don't want to be right in the city either. We are looking for an area that is big enough to have shopping in the area such as a Walmart or Target for groceries without having to drive 30 mins like we do now. We are considering pretty much the entire surrounding area of Colorado Springs but we have found a problem. I ran across the pet ordinances for El Paso county and found that there is a 4 pet limit of any combination of cats and dogs not only in the city limits but in the designated animal control areas in El paso county. We have a couple more than that limit. We aren't crazy cat people or anything it was kind of like a Brady bunch thing ya know like he had 3 she had 3 they got married and became the crazy bunch. Anyway we have 2 large dogs who would need a large fenced backyard, a tiny 6 pound min pin who does not go outside unsupervised and that will not change once we get there with mountain lions snatching puppies off the streets and all , and 3 lazy yet loving inside cats. Everyone is extremely well behaved and well taken care of and getting rid of someone is not an option... they are just like our kids just fuzzier. My question is does anyone know where this wouldn't be a problem?

I was seriously considering Woodland Park because from what I can tell Teller County is only concerned with the number of dogs you have but I read another post on here about the Bible College being built and we have really started second guessing it. Don't get me wrong we are Christians but we are very tolerant Christians who understand how it feels to be judged by the not so tolerant bunch. The town we live in now is pretty much ruled by the Baptist church. My husband and I have literally been judged and treated badly for not being the "right kind of Christian" among other things, just another reason we are really wanting to relocate. So obviously I don't want to move from this situation in to what sounds like may be an even worse one. Does anyone have some advice on that?

We also have an 8 month old so school will be a factor in a few years. From what I have looked at most areas around there have good schools but just know that is a factor in our search as well.

We are hoping to buy a house for under $200k and we do not want to be right on top of our neighbors. I don't want to be secluded in the woods somewhere either but we would like to have our own space. What are utility bills like there? I know its different for different people in different homes but on average? In this area everyone knows in the summer your electricity bill is going to be insane because it is 100 degrees outside and your air conditioner never goes off for like 5 months straight so just wondering if there is anything like that around there.

My husband works as a production technician at a power plant now and he went to school for instrumentation, is there a market for anything like that up there? If not he is willing to look into other options but he really likes what he does. Also my parents would like to eventually move there as well and my dad is in the oil field. From what I can tell the oil field around there is mostly further north but I was hoping I was missing something. His job title around here is well pumper but I'm pretty sure it is different elsewhere. Pretty much from what I understand he makes sure everything with the wells is running smoothly and keeps track of the oil being produced but I don't understand the technical terms so not much to go off of there.

I'm sorry this post is so long and kind of all over the place but I hope someone can answer at least some of my questions and that what we want isn't too unrealistic. We love the area, the people, the views, the wildlife, the weather, the fact that the city loves dogs, and the fact that it is nearly 900 miles away from this town I have been stuck in my whole life. When we visit it just feels right like it's where we belong so I really hope we can make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 11:13 PM

666 posts, read 988,144 times
Don't worry about the pet limit. Our vet said that a lot of people are and they've never heard of it being an issue, within reasonable limits of course.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:17 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,740,923 times
About the pet limit....I've never heard of it. We lived in the Springs for 10 years, and in Teller County for 40 (overlapped with the Springs) and we had (at one time) four dogs and four cats. The cats were indoor cats, and the dogs were two Yorkies, a mutt and a Golden. Our Vet knew about our animals. Never said a word....and none of them had city licenses...

In Teller County we lived NW of Divide near Golden Bell Ranch and most everyone up there has at least two dogs, if not more. It wasn't a problem. I don't think it's a problem in Woodland Park, either. Within reason. I don't think anyone cares how many cats someone has unless they're problematic like using sandboxes for a litter box, killing birds or squirrels, or loud, nocturnal meowing. Outdoor cats aren't really appreciated either in Teller County or in the Springs.

As for the Bible college in Woodland Park, from what I've heard talking to people who live there, there's not a lot of enthusiasm for it, but there's not much they can do about it, either. Woodland Park is very conservative politically, but also very "live and let live" in reality. The Springs is also politically conservative, but pretty tolerant.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
You'll be fine. I never heard of that animal limit either, and with 4 of your animals staying indoors I don't think anyone will notice.

No idea about your husbands jobs.

I wouldn't consider any of the school districts to be "bad", though there are some I would consider very good. Colorado's spending per pupil is very low compared to neighboring states, but out test scores are only slightly lower. In essence, we are getting far more value.

Woodland Park is a small town to me, but it may be wonderful for you. You'd certainly get some space there. If you want a shorter commute into a real city, you might consider Peyton or Falcon. Personally, I love Falcon, but the school district has been getting some flak.

How much space do you consider some space? Some people saying that want a fifth of an acre, and others want five or twenty acres. It'll make a world of difference. You won't be able to afford much land AND a nice house with that in WP, but you might be able to afford one or the other. In Peyton you'll get more land than in Falcon, but Falcon has tons of beautiful homes. I'd consider moving out there some day, it's really a great community.

I have a 2500ish sqft house. Over the course of the year utility bills run a little over 200 per year, but there are 3 adults living here. They would average under 200 per year if there were only two of us.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 AM

575 posts, read 669,459 times
I will echo what others have said, as long as your pets are not a nuisance I doubt anyone would say anything. The exception might be if you are in a neighborhood with an HOA, they tend to enforce more stringently and some even have their own pet limits which are less than the city and would need to be adhered too. I have a friend who lives in a community with an HOA that only allows three and she says they enforce it.

As far as the bible college in Woodland Park I think it is a non issue. There are churches of different denominations in the town, and many people who don't even go to church. I have never seen any pressure or exclusion to join a certain group. No one has ever brought up religion or inquired if I go to church or to which church I belong to in Woodland Park or in Colorado Springs for that matter.

Your housing budget will go further in Colo Springs than Woodland Park. As far as utilities it depends on the size and age of your home, the type of windows and how well insulated it is and what you set your temp to in the winter etc so it is hard to determine an average. For example we have a 3800SF historic home in the downtown Colo Spgs area. The weather in my part of town is really mild however my heating bills in the winter are quite high, significantly higher than when we lived in Woodland Park and we keep our house down here at a brisk 62 degrees in the winter. We had a more modern and smaller home when we lived in Woodland Park (approx. 2400 SF) and also had a wood burning stove. Even though we lived at much higher altitude, our heating bills were low. I would caution against buying a home with electric heat in Woodland Park unless it has a wood burning stove or a pellet stove to augment, otherwise it is very expensive.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 4,811 times
Thanks you guys for answering! I had never heard of anything like the pet limit until I was reading somthing on the pet licenses (which I have never heard of either) and saw it but I thought well this is a bigger city so they probably take that kind of thing seriously and then promptly started freaking out lol. It is a relief to know they don't take it so seriously.

As far as how much space we want, definitely not 25 acres. I mean sure if someone handed it to us but thats not gonna happen lol. We are on about an acre now and we are comfortable and smaller than that wouldnt be so bad. I just meant we can't be in those cookie cutter communities where the neighbor's house is 3 ft from our house and the backyards are pretty much conjoined.

I hope the Bible college doesn't cause problems in Woodland Park it seeems like a really nice place to live if we can afford it. You all have been really helpful Thanks!

Old 10-26-2013, 05:03 PM

794 posts, read 1,493,013 times
Outdoor cats are not a problem in Teller County - they just have a short shelf life. Outside Woodland Park the lots are commonly two acres, four acres, ten acres, or larger. Check on your water rights - you will be surprised at what you cannot do.

The kind of jobs you are describing will not be available in Teller County, but you might want to check with the gold mine in Cripple Creek.

Zillow.com can give you a idea as to what housing is available at what prices.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne1031 View Post
I hope the Bible college doesn't cause problems in Woodland Park it seeems like a really nice place to live if we can afford it. You all have been really helpful Thanks!
This is how most people in Woodland Park feel also

Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 AM

162 posts, read 480,784 times
I saw someone already mentioned Falcon/Peyton. I lived in Falcon from 2002-2005 and I moved back in 2012. There is a Walmart in Falcon as well as a few other stores and restaurants but it is home to thousands of families. We live about 5 miles north of Falcon and enjoy our 2.5 acres of land, piece and quiet, yet being close enough to town to go in when we need to. I would also add Black Forest to your list as well. I guarantee there is no concern on the number of pets you have out here. District 49 is a solid school system and the home prices you mentioned, you should be able to find something quite easily. If you go north (as we did) from Falcon, you get into some trees and into eastern Black Forest. If you stay around Falcon/Peyton, it's all prarie land (not many trees). You'd also be outside city limits which means lower sales tax and property tax. Being from Texas, I'm assuming you'll be ok with the cowboy mentality of the area too (sorry for the stereotype).

Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM

50 posts, read 60,920 times
Rayne,

I can't speak to the pet issues, but I can give some insights based on your other criteria. The general rule is that the southern side of Colorado Springs is cheaper to live than the north side. As you head west on hwy 24, there are some small communities (Cascade, Green Mountain Falls, Chipita Park) between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park that provide easy access to services in both towns. Woodland Park School District and Manitou Springs school district both have good ratings up this corridor. On the south side, Fountain has a good supply of affordable houses with many amenities nearby. Fountain-Fort Carson school district is there. It has a fair number of military families with nearby Fort Carson, but also has a solid reputation. On the north side, the Monument / Palmer Lake area -- while a little more expensive, provides some space and has one of the best school districts in the entire state (Lewis Palmer school district 38). It also has all of the services you need and has the advantage of being only 35 minutes to the south side of Denver if that is something that interests you. While limited you can find a few houses right around $200,000 in this area.

For utilities, keep in mind that Colorado Springs is well below the national average. Your summer costs will definitely vary based on your elevation. Living in the city or south side you most likely want air conditioning. On the north side and up the 24 corridor, most people don't need it.

As another poster mentioned, Falcon is another fast-growing area with plenty of services and some good "space" if need be. If I can be of any more help, please let me know. I was a former teacher in Colorado Springs for 12 years, so I can give you a lot of background on the different school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or