U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM

2,784 posts, read 2,572,780 times

Advertisements

Remember folks, it's perfectly legal to kill your kids slowly with junk food and a sedentary life. It's legal to leave loaded guns around the house where your kids can get to them. But for gods sake, don't even so much as think about leaving your kids in the car for 60 seconds. CPS will be busting down your doors and stealing your children.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,353,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
In fact, doing so could, by letter of the law, be indicative of "neglect." Perhaps while you are researching with the law the definition of "unattended," also look up the definition of "neglect" in regards to leaving a toddler in a running vehicle unattended.
I'm not sure that's true. I think it could reasonably seen as neglect by many people, but I'm not sure what the law actually says about that. Do you know?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:44 PM

454 posts, read 1,064,377 times
I am sure I have done something that some one else did not agree on what I was doing.

And your post did come of like you wear implying I was ignorant, which I see I was wrong in doing that and apologize. But it is what it is I guess.

And of course I "cared" that you were blasting me on a forum since this is place to debate and discuss what we think and do. I don't go around debating with people I see on the street on what things are okay and aren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
No one's labeling you. I semi-quoted a word that you said in one of your posts but my comments were not aimed directly at you. I also didn't "call" you or anyone else ignorant. I said that labeling people is an act of ignorance. Which it is, right?

You have a 20-y-o and a 7-y-o. That was my point. 7 years (or even 4 or 5) is enough to forget some of the details of how hard it really was and just recall the more positive aspects. You may not have ever done exactly what the OP did, which is good for you. But did you ever do anything else that someone else would have seen as neglect or laziness or foolishness or whatever? If so, did some part of you care that people were making ill-informed assumptions about you as a parent? You apparently cared that I was "blasting" you on an anonymous forum.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:46 PM

454 posts, read 1,064,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Remember folks, it's perfectly legal to kill your kids slowly with junk food and a sedentary life. It's legal to leave loaded guns around the house where your kids can get to them. But for gods sake, don't even so much as think about leaving your kids in the car for 60 seconds. CPS will be busting down your doors and stealing your children.
Funny

Old 10-31-2013, 04:50 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,119,997 times
OP, you sound very defensive so it seems like you've given this a lot of thought to come up with all sorts of reasons to support your position. Have you put as much thought into creating a list of reasons why you shouldn't leave the car running? Maybe you'll actually talk yourself into changing positions.

Personally I'm a worry wort and never ever left my kids in the car with the engine running. And they grew up in Colorado. I have a vivid imagination and could come up with all sorts of bad things that could happen.

I know that you think you are gone 60 seconds and that you are watching the car the whole time, but things can happen to draw your attention away. I had a friend who stopped to adjust the baby in the stroller and her two-year-old managed to wander off and drown. And she thought she took her eyes off of him for only 60 seconds.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:33 AM

4,670 posts, read 6,745,956 times
I had put my two year old and my seven year old in the car to take the older one to school. He had forgotten a permission slip, so, with the car running, and the two year old in his car seat, we ran into the house for what was "just a second". In that second, the two year old got out of his car seat (we still don't know how), managed to climb into the front seat, and knocked the automatic shift in the center console into neutral from park. The car rolled down the driveway, across the street and into the neighbor's house. No one was hurt, but it scared the heck out of me. I was shaking, scared, crying and relieved. That "just a second" could have been deadly. So, just to be on the safe side, take the two year old in with you. If anything were to happen while your child was alone in the car, could you live with yourself? Just like lightning can strike anywhere at anytime with just the tiniest of clouds in the sky, so can something happen to your child. Better safe than sorry.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:36 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,572,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
... knocked the automatic shift in the center console into neutral from park.
I assume you meant from park to neutral? Next time use the park brake and make sure the kid is properly secured in their car seat - problem solved.

Also it's not a bad idea to point the front wheels so the car won't roll far if it's on a hill.

Plenty of bad things can happen to a kid who's outside of the car as well.

It's a shame our best judgement has be taken away from us and replaced with a blanket law. IMHO there are definitely times when it's irresponsible and negligent, but there are other times where it's perfectly safe. I don't do it because there's always going to be some zealot with CPS on speed dial.

Maybe if the government is going micromanage how we raise our children, they can come around and change a few dirty diapers.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM

409 posts, read 558,403 times
When my kids were babies, my 18 month old was at a different daycare than my 5 month old. I had to take the 5 month old to daycare first, and no matter how much of a pain in the rear it was, I took my toddler in with us EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I'm not going to call CPS on you if you leave your kid in the running car, but it's sure not anything I would ever do.

Also, if it's a place where people do tend to leave their cars running, with or without kids, when running into the building quickly, it's a possible target for car thieves. It doesn't take all that long for a thief to break into a car or to hot wire it.

Sure, there are all sorts of things that can happen to a kid anywhere, and I'm not going to wrap mine in bubble wrap. But I'm also going to mitigate risks when and where I can.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM

162 posts, read 480,889 times
Wow! I leave the conversation for a couple days (Halloween was a crazy day) and there has been some great discussion on here. I certainly appreciate the thoughts from everyone (and I do mean everyone) as everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I value that.

I'm still waiting for a response from my email to the CSPD regarding the situation. I'm anticipating a politically correct response that mentions that it's not good practice at least and at most, violates the "unattended" aspect. I have a hard time believing that anybody with a rational mind would say it is neglect in the situation I originally described. Now doing this while running into Walmart to "just get a couple things", is entirely different than my situation. I would never do this for anything where the car was not in my sight and/or over a minute of time. As technology changes, so should our laws and mentalities.

Someone mentioned a car going into neutral by a two year old. In my situation, without the key being inside the car (I take it with me), the transmission is locked in park.

@ Dreaming: I have put some thought into not having the engine running. Someone mentioned that earlier and I think it's a valid thought. I mentioned earlier that I could argue either side and argue it well. I also understand what you're saying about the mother and the stroller. But this situation is different and can't be compared to that. But I get your meaning.

@ Bongo: Valid point. I will look that up as well. Thanks for the tip.

@ Toxicavenger: You mentioned "what if someone ran into my parked car..." Well, I wouldn't have been able to stop that from happening if I were in the car still so what's the difference? Actually, I could probably react better from not being in the car because I wouldn't be hurt or dazed. As for the exhaust leak, the car is a 2013 Lincoln. While I agree it COULD happen, I will argue all day that the chances rank right up there with an electrical short that makes the climate control jump to 150 degrees. Not trying to poke fun at you, but we're not talking about an old POS. And lastly, are you seriously comparing leaving a 2 year old buckled in a locked running car with climate control and passive electronic restraints for the transmission and locks to giving a child a knife to play with? I understand you were just trying to make a point but c'mon man!

Again, I'm still waiting for a response from the CSPD regarding this. I will heed whatever they respond with. Everyone's opinions, while I do value them, are still just opinions. The law is the law. Interpretation of those laws are entirely up to the people of this city/county/state/country and their respective lawyers. There are a lot of strong opinions on here regarding the thought of leaving a car running for 60 seconds and leaving a child in a car unattended. Regardless of your opinions though, please don't ruin someone else's lives by calling the police in a situation like this. Think before you call. And that goes for a lot of things. Now if the child's life is truly in danger, then call. Otherwise, you could be shattering a family forever because of your own personal opinions.

Sorry this is so long. The thoughts just kept coming! ;-)

Old 11-01-2013, 03:29 PM

162 posts, read 480,889 times
BTW, I just looked up child neglect in Colorado and it is wide open to all kinds of interpretation. That could be good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs