U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
SYS SYS started this thread

336 posts, read 993,738 times

Advertisements

Just had a nightmarish and costly experience with Woodmen Nissan.

My 1998 Nissan Maxima was in excellent shape with only 120,000 miles accumulated over 15 years of driving it. Never had any issues whatsoever except the regular maintenance stuff. One day I noticed that the "service engine" light came on, so I took it to Woodmen to diagnose the problem and fix it. They told me that a sensor (sorry, I don't know exactly what it is as I'm not an auto expert) needs to be replaced. Along with it, they suggested that I fix an oil leak. In order to fix the oil leak, though, they told me the labor itself was going to cost me well over $500 because of its location. Okay, I decided to take care of all these and paid up over $1,000 to fix these.

Just two days later, I got another "service engine" light come while I was taking my boys to school. On the way back home, my Maxima just stalled in the middle of the road. When I tried to start it back up, I'd succeed momentarily with lots of smoke coming out of the car's rear. I had to take it back to Woodmen Nissan by a tow truck. This time, they diagnosed that my Maxima's ECM (Engine Control Computer Module) is bad and has to be replaced. That's going to cost me another $1,000. So I asked them why weren't they able to diagnose this problem when I first brought the car to them, and I voiced my complaint that the coincidence of having the ECM go wrong right after the initial service done just two days before seemed fishy to me. They assured me that they weren't related to each other and that ECM can go wrong at any given time. I had no choice but to have them fix the problem. Well, they told me that I'd have to leave my car there for a week because they'd have to order the part and it will take that long for the part to arrive. They were willing to loan me the car, so that was nice. A week goes by with no words, so I called them. They responded to my inquiry that the ordered part will take another week. So I waited another week. Another call made, then this time they told me it's going to take another week. By the time they finally called me to tell me that the part has arrived, it's been one full month that I had to wait patiently.

After they fixed the ECM problem, I brought the car back. Then, I noticed that there were marks of oil stains in my garage indicating that there's still oil leak somewhere. I took the car back, and this time they told me that there's another place under the hood -- apart from the original oil leak -- that's leaking. So I paid more money to get this thing fixed. At least I thought I was done with this so I drove home relieved.

No sign of leakage for the next two days, so I was happy in spite of all the trouble I had to go through and the amount I had to spend at the dealer shop. Well, just a few days later I noticed more oil leaks, this time more than ever before. I was so upset that I had to go through all this just to see a large amount of oil leaks.

My faith in Woodmen Nissan is shot. Instead of going back to Woodmen Nissan, I thought that it'd be best that I look for another shop that can really fix this simple problem. I don't think I even want to return to Woodmen Nissan to complain. I just don't want to have anything to do with them. I want my life back. Just to think about all the time and money that I've spent there in the last two months would make me sick. I'd like to know whether you folks have a recommendation for an honest and effective auto repair shop that specializes in Nissan autos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM

727 posts, read 1,135,208 times
You might check Aspen Auto Clinic (five locations around town). They're not a Nissan only shop, but have won the "Best of..." awards. I've met the owner (Greg) and he seems like a straight shooter to me. I haven't had occasion to use them, but probably will in the future.

Another "Best of..." winner is Import Specialty Auto on 2348 East Boulder downtown. I use them for my Toyota and have been pleased with their service (they specialize in all Asian and some German brands, so I think your Nissan would be in good hands).

My other recommendation is the Auto Tech Plaza on Fillmore. We had a problem with my wife's Saab and they spend a lot of hours trying to figure it out. They did a fix on it, but admitted that they weren't sure they had corrected the problem. They said that they were out of ideas, but here's the kicker: They offered to refund the entire repair bill ($800) if we weren't satisfied, no questions asked. Can't ask for more than that.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,350,694 times
I had a Nissan Maxima for years and always took it to Facinelli Motors in Palmer Lake. He specializes in subarus but always did a great job on my Nissan as well, including some tricky troubleshooting. I know that may be too far for most people, but it is the best shop I know of.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM

666 posts, read 988,144 times
FWIW, Aspen Auto has pretty bad reviews on Angie's list. Enough for me to not even consider them.

I'm looking into shops right now as well for some routine maintenance. Three shops that rate high on Angie's list are Bear Automotive, Accurate Japanese Repair, and Japanese Connection. I have used Japanese Connection twice two inspect a car I was buying and to inspect a car I was getting ready to sell. Can't say I had any issues with them, but I didn't fall in love with the place either.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:31 PM

727 posts, read 1,135,208 times
allprolab - Thanks for the info on Aspen. I'll steer clear in the future, as well and won't recommend without first hand knowledge.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:03 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,081,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I had a Nissan Maxima for years and always took it to Facinelli Motors in Palmer Lake. He specializes in subarus but always did a great job on my Nissan as well, including some tricky troubleshooting. I know that may be too far for most people, but it is the best shop I know of.
Here is another thumbs up for Facinelli Motors. I have brought my Subarus and Toyota to him for years. I always though I was getting a fair deal and he did not try to talk me into things that were not necessary.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 AM
SYS SYS started this thread

336 posts, read 993,738 times
Thank you all for your responses. I'll take a look at Facinelli Motors. I'd rather take a longer trip to a shop as long as it's reliable than go into another headache situation like Woodmen Nissan.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 PM

10 posts, read 24,638 times
Default Nissan mechanic

I guess you're around the Spings-I'm in Canon and for a couple years I'd hoof it into West Pueblo to Salon-they ALWAYS were upselling me and got ruder and ruder-I finally said eff this and found a great mechanic in Canon-Mike's 66-he has consistently done wonderful work at very reasonable rates. BTW, Empire in Denver where I bought my Titan were super so I'm not down on dealers necessarily.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM

841 posts, read 1,249,364 times
Want to echo Accurate Japanese Repair. They're top-notch.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM

666 posts, read 988,144 times
Just got done doing some 100k maintenance to our vehicles. I got estimates from the dealer, Accurate Japanese repair, and Bear Automotive. Ended up going with Bear Automotive. They were the cheapest on the big job I needed (timing belt/water pump). After having one vehicle serviced I was very pleased with their whole operation and had them do the other one without even calling around. They were pleasant to deal with and took the time to make sure I was not only happy but told me about the condition of my vehicles and any potential problems. Wouldn't hesitate using them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs