Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 AM

177 posts, read 314,816 times

Advertisements

Not true when registering a USED car......wife works at the DMV so all is good ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Huh? How is a used car different? You don't put what you paid for it anywhere when you register your vehicle.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...ame=RMVWrapper

Registration Fees
Fees are based on the empty weight and type of vehicle being registered.
Additional fees may be collected based on county of residence and license plate selected.

Specific Ownership Taxes
These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
Original taxable value is 85% of manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).
The annual specific ownership tax is based on the year of service

1. Sales Tax is based on purchase price
2. Registration Fee is based on MSRP (sticker price) multiplied by a percentage based on age.

Anyone else think differently?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Right. Sales price only affects sales tax. All others fees are either fixed or based on original MSRP.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:35 PM

641 posts, read 2,276,072 times
Here's another bit of useless DMV trivia.

If buying a used car from a family member, you can declare the vehicle as a "gift," and save a bundle on the taxes. The friendly DMV clerk here in town suggested I scratch out the price and write "gift" on my home made bill of sale when I registered a vehicle I bought from my Dad a couple of years ago.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Most likely way more than it should. CO car registration prices are a joke and a great way to discourage buying a new car.
Odd. Everyone I've known here has bought a new car when they were ready to.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
While yes, a new car is expensive to register, when I lived in Connecticut I had an $11k Saturn SL manual. I paid $1000 in taxes on that puppy.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Default CO vs CT car taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
While yes, a new car is expensive to register, when I lived in Connecticut I had an $11k Saturn SL manual. I paid $1000 in taxes on that puppy.
Did you live in Hartford with it's ~$74 per $1000 tax mill rate ??

FYI for others, CT taxes cars (using its current market value, not MSRP) at same % rate as your home's mill rate, and it varies by each of CT's 169 towns. My town in CT mill rate is about $21, so I just paid $169 on a 2008 Ford Fusion, was $241 last year. This in addition to bi-annual $90 state license fee.

Last edited by reed303; 11-16-2013 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: add'l

Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Did you live in Hartford with it's ~$74 per $1000 tax mill rate ??

FYI for others, CT taxes cars (using its current market value, not MSRP) at same % rate as your home's mill rate, and it varies by each of CT's 169 towns. My town in CT mill rate is about $21, so I just paid $169 on a 2008 Ford Fusion, was $241 last year. This in addition to bi-annual $90 state license fee.
Waterbury with an $80 something mill rate. This was back in 99.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:27 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
That will save you on taxes, which is fraud. Won't help you on registration, as it's based on MSRP, not what you paid for the car.
QFT.

Also, how does someone get "FORCED" to buy a new car? When I had to buy a car, I decided to buy used private party. Can you believe that there wasn't a single armed man or woman jamming a gun in my face and demanding that I buy new? The registration costs are high, but it is 100% possible to buy a used vehicle.

To add a little bit to what pokermunkee said, if the vehicle is at least 10-11 years old, it goes to a flat minimum rate (may still use weight). I have a great truck, and somehow I picked one that was 11 years old. I lose less in depreciation and fees because I knew that at the end of the day, it is a tool to get me from point A to point B. If I wanted a fancy status symbol to show how much I could afford to pay, I'd buy a new car, pay the fees, and know that I was showing off my decision each time I drove.

We may not have roads in the best condition, but those roads will hardly ever exist in a place that freezes regularly. (Water damage is a major source of road damage) At least we have enough roads, while most states are stuck in gridlock.

PS. The "new vs used" wording in this thread is really relative to the model year. Whichever way you bought it, when a car is 10 years past production, the fees drop off dramatically.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
I've lived in about 5 different states. CO registration fees are by far the most expensive ever lived in. Id like to know where that money goes other than the very nice emission inspection stations. Compared to the NE CO roads aren't that bad but they don't have as much moisture either. I bought a new car this year and the fees were over $800. The car was under $40k value. Just seems high. I like to know where my money goes when I give it to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs