U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 AM

10 posts, read 12,484 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are both teachers(I will be finishing my principal certificate in about a year) and we will be looking at moving to CO Springs in about a year and a half. Is anyone a teacher that can tell me what being hired out of state is like? What about the job prospects in general? I am a secondary math teacher, and my wife is a special education teacher who specializes in working with severely cognitively impaired students.

Based on my research it looks like northern CO Springs has the best schools, but I would be open to working in a different district if necessary, though I would prefer to work in the same district that my kids are going to be attending. We are looking at mostly the Briargate or further north out of town area for housing.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:32 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,350,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbulick View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are both teachers(I will be finishing my principal certificate in about a year) and we will be looking at moving to CO Springs in about a year and a half. Is anyone a teacher that can tell me what being hired out of state is like? What about the job prospects in general? I am a secondary math teacher, and my wife is a special education teacher who specializes in working with severely cognitively impaired students.

Based on my research it looks like northern CO Springs has the best schools, but I would be open to working in a different district if necessary, though I would prefer to work in the same district that my kids are going to be attending. We are looking at mostly the Briargate or further north out of town area for housing.
I'm not a teacher but my sister is and I've seen what she went through and talked to her about it a lot. It took her five years to get a teaching job, and she had to jump through some hoops to do it. But she wasn't certified for education upon moving here and had to do that after arriving. Even still, I know that it's competitive and there aren't a whole lot of jobs available, but they're out there. I think you just have to be eager and passionate about whatever is going on in a certain district, or in the area as a whole, and the 'better' schools will want you eventually. At any rate, don't expect it to happen right away, but maybe it won't take 5 years either.

As for the best schools, many people do think the ones on the northern end are better. We like what we've been seeing in Monument so far as our own kids prepare to begin pre-school soon. But I'm certain that most schools in the area, including ones in the so-called bad areas are good and bad for different reasons. So all I can say about that is don't believe everything you read at great schools.org just because it's prefaced with x number of stars. Not that you've done that, but a lot of people do.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,683,532 times
Your certifications are in areas of some demand, so your chances are pretty good. BTW, the "good" districts are not necessarily the best to work in re: teaching conditions, contracts, etc. You really should think more on a school-by-school basis than a district basis, imho. Job postings for the following school year often start in March, but at a trickle, and pick up into May/June and carry on all summer - many people are hired in late July/August - so you just never know. But I would suggest not being too picky and casting a wide net to start out and accepting the first job you are offered. It is easier to move around once you're in somewhere than it is to get started.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,922,763 times
Don't discount the other school districts just because of location. There are great things happening in many of the school districts and especially individual schools in the area. I teach in D49 and LOVE it. I'm supported by my administration and colleagues. My students are fantastic and so are the families. I know I'm making a difference.

I moved here from out of state and did have a harder time finding the job I really wanted (my CO license hadn't gone through yet and I had an out of state address). I did get a job in my area (music) but at a charter school and not the age group I originally wanted. Now I love teaching that age group and I'm in a public school. Make sure you have already started the paperwork for the Colorado license!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:33 AM

10 posts, read 12,484 times
I would agree that working in high performing districts are not necessarily the best working conditions. I have also been at schools that are high performing despite the teachers, not because of them. What a high performing school does almost universally have is motivated students, which is a huge bonus that can out weigh a lot of the other petty stuff.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
I recommend getting in touch with captain_hug (see post above) and seeing if they can introduce you to the right people. D49 can be nice, and there are many great homes in that area so you could have a short commute and a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs