U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 10,398 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Navy and about to retire and we're trying to figure out where to live. We're currently in San Diego and staying here is out of the question. Even though I'm from CA and have lived here almost all my life, I'm ready to not be here anymore. It's too crowded and too expensive. I will definitely miss the scenery and probably the weather though.

My husband is from New Mexico and most of our family is there. We've put Albq on the list as a possibility, but it's not one I'm real thrilled with. I don't much care for it but I would be happy being so close to family. The reason we're considering Colorado Springs is because it seems like a nice place and with such a large military population, I thought the chances of him finding a job might be a bit better. Also, it's about a 5 hour drive from our family, which isn't a big deal.

So if anyone is familiar with both cities, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Albuquerque is warmer, but it also has more unemployment and more crime, at least in my perception. I like both, but ABQ has a definite "southwestern" feel, while Colorado Springs is more Rocky Mtn/Midwestern in culture.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 AM

18,882 posts, read 8,860,357 times
COS's population is about 1/3 less than Albuquerque, and I do find that some things I want I have to go to Denver for. I would imagine that would be less of an issue with Albuquerque.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Those are two great cities to be choosing between. We moved to COS and my top three cities in order were COS, Denver, ABQ. Have you been out there much? I'm honestly a little surprised you weren't more excited about it. San Diego, by the way, came in 4th/5th around a tie with Honolulu. They are both great places to live. ABQ is warmer, about 5 to 7 degrees on average year round, but they are impacted by different weather cycles. ABQ has almost no rain, the Springs has a little rain, but not much. Most of it comes in thunderstorms during the summer. I love them

Neither place is cold, so you might not miss San Diego's weather as much as you think, but I will grant that if you are looking for year round pleasant temperatures San Diego has some of the best in the world. That's how it got on our list, despite my strong distaste for the idea of living in California. Housing in both places is fairly affordable. Neither is as cheap as texas, but compared to coastal cities they will be dramatically more affordable.

I think CS has a significantly lower tax rate, especially when it comes to property taxes. If you would like a larger house, that could be a factor for you. However, in my opinion, New Mexico has the most beautiful housing style. I absolutely love the architecture.

Both have cultures that I find appealing, though they may not be as overpowering as the cultures on the East Coast. CS is a military city, ABQ has a strong mexican vibe. I enjoy both. I like history, but I don't care for overwhelming amounts of traffic. CS has less traffic than ABQ, less than any city of similar size or larger in America, but ABQ doesn't do too poorly with traffic and it will be much easier to drive there than in California. If you enjoy public transportation, the Springs has none and ABQ has enough to say it exists. I didn't want to pay taxes to support a bus that got in my way, so my preference for the Springs shouldn't be surprising.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
I've a pal living in Albuquerque and he says it's miserable and that car theft is a guilded craft among local high school students.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've spent a considerable amount of time in Albuquerque. My sister lives there. It does seem to have a lot of crime. My main interest in it is proximity to my family and a reasonable cost of living. I actually lived in NM for several years as a teenager and we go back about twice a year since both our parents are there. They live in a crappy little nowhere town called Tucumcari though. I've only been to Colorado Springs once a few years ago. Is it a bikeable city?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:06 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,079,841 times
You need to come out to Colorado Springs for a visit!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 PM

409 posts, read 557,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinaLue View Post
I've only been to Colorado Springs once a few years ago. Is it a bikeable city?
It's hilly, but other than that, it's very bikeable. There are bike lanes all over. I see bikers out all of the time. I've talked to several people who bike commute, some clear across town. There's also a ton of trails, if you prefer off-road.

If you bundle up, you'll have a longer biking year. It's been warm the last few days, in the 50s, and I've seen people out on their commutes. Can't speak for colder weather yet.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 AM

641 posts, read 1,954,023 times
Colorado Springs is very military friendly. With the AF Academy, Peterson, Cheyenne Mt., Schriever, and Ft. Carson here in town, many folks are military, ex-military, or affiliated in one way or another.

Most folks don't realize it, but because of Space Command, NORAD, and NorthComm, (Joint Commands), there's quite a "Rocky Mountain Navy" population here. The BX and Commissary on Peterson are great. There's a big AF hospital at the AF Academy and another big one on Ft. Carson. Peterson has a medical clinic as well.

I've been to Albuquerque many times, and would choose to live in COS hands down, any day of the week. It's just generally a nicer place to live than Albuquerque.

When I want to get down there to visit, it's a very easy drive trip. 6 hrs or so and it's a beautiful drive. Taos is about 4 hrs or so.

Very easy to do over a long weekend, so you could visit your family often enough and have the best of both worlds.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Now for a very important question. What's the public library system like? Reading is pretty much my main form of entertainment and I'm at the library at least once a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or