U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,040 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all!

My husband and I are relocating to Colorado Springs from Houston, Texas! We are both born and raised southerners and we aren't really sure what to expect but Colorado is such a BEAUTIFUL state compared to Texas so we are both ecstatic! We will miss our family and friends here in Texas, but I hope to make many new friends in our new location!

A little background. We have 3 dogs who are our children until we are able to have our own! Two are twin toy poodles that I have had for 6 years, and one is a lab/sharpei mix that is 2 years old! They are our world!!! We are crazy dog people! My husband is a mud engineer and travels all over Colorado, Wyoming, North/South Dakota, Montana, and New Mexico. He also is an amazing guitar player and has a voice that melts my heart! I am a stay at home wife and dog mom as of now! I LOVE to cook and clean! I worked in childcare for many years before giving up my job so that my husband could further his career. In my spare time I enjoy sewing, playing drums, crafts, and playing with the dogs!

My husband spent the last 2 weeks in Brighton working and took a one day trip down to Colorado Springs to look at a few houses we had been looking at online. Luckily, we were blessed with getting the first house we applied for and we absolutely cannot wait to move in! I have not yet seen it in person, as I am still in Texas finishing up the planning on our formal wedding ceremony which is January 4th! We have a LOT going on very quickly right now! hahaha

We are trying to figure out about what we are going to be paying for utilities and what companies are offered in the area we are moving. We are moving to the North East side of Colorado Springs in a subdivision called Claremont Ranch. The house is 2,800sqft and fairly new (built in 2006).
I know here in Texas, there are tons of energy companies to choose the best rates from and such but I am not sure how it works there.
As far as water and gas, I would assume this is a city utility? About how high does this run a month?

I guess I just assume since it gets so cold there that the utilities would be SO much higher than here in Texas?
And of course, trash service, again, city?

Sorry to make this so long! I am so excited but because I have never even been TO Colorado, I am trying to find out as much information as possible as quick as possible! We are moving in the next few weeks so any information will be more than we have right now!

Thank you!

Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,721,413 times
WAter, gas, utilities all come from one company. It is a regulated monopoly. We have a similar slightly smaller house built about the same time and three people living here. Utilities on the expensive months (like june, which feels like the hottest month because the heat is less likely to disappear into an early thunderstorm) can reach 250, but in fall/spring are more like 170 to 180. Your costs of course will vary depending on energy consumption. We use energy efficient bulbs and take quick showers. Winter utilities are similar to summer for us, but if you are used to the heat from Houston you may just open your windows and be fine in the summer. Depending on the fuel used to heat your house, you may of course find eletric and gas swap places between summer/winter, but the overall cost will be similar in my experience. It does get cold over night here, but if the house is constructed well (new, large, it should be) you may find the heater does less work than you expect. During the day when it is 30 outside, the sunshine heats our house and the heater doesn't have to kick on all day. Sometimes it'll reach 75 inside when it is mid 30s outside. Strong sunlight and good insulation will do that.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM

20,354 posts, read 37,893,411 times
Default Utility Costs in Colorado Springs

Ashley, see post #2 in this old thread on heating / cooling costs in COLO SPGS.

Here in COLO SPGS all utilities are provided by city-owned Colorado Springs Utilities (I love them!). I'm not sure who provides the utilities out east of town in Claremont Ranch, but your realtor should have that info for you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-06-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 12:46 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,091,990 times
Utility info from the Claremont Ranch neighborhood facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/notes/clare...51853021406719

Trash service is most areas is served by any number of companies. I think you call around and find the one that meets your needs (recycling vs no recycling, etc.) Some are Waste Management, Waste Connections, Bestway, Rocky Mountain Disposal, and probably some others. I am not sure which ones service Claremont Ranch.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 PM

20,354 posts, read 37,893,411 times
Here's an old thread on Claremont Ranch and the water utility. Hopefully someone with more current info will speak up.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 6,040 times
Lurtsman, yes, we are used to VERY hot summers! This last summer, it reached upwards of 110 some days and we have seen even hotter! I am sure we are going to be enjoying the summers there and leave the windows open most of the time when the weather permits! You don't get many good weather days in Texas. It is either SUPER hot and humid or chilly and raining!
We are both really fond of cold weather so even on the rare occasion it drops below 30 here in Texas, we either turn the heat on pretty low to keep the dogs from freezing or run the fireplace for a few hours before bed and that seems to heat everything up.

Mikefrombackeast- WOW! The cost seems so low compared to what we pay here! In the hottest months here, we have had energy bills that cost us upwards of $500! The home we live in is about the same size as the one we are moving to in CS too but it is much older, built in the late 70's.

Breezle1- thank you for the facebook page and information on trash pickup!

Thank you all for the information!!!!

Now we just have to get everything set up and get moved so we can get this wedding done and get out booties out to the mountains!!!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,721,413 times
Sounds like you're going to love it. Before we decided on Colorado, I had Texas on the list of possible places. My wife banned it from the list (since we are living together, it makes sense for both of us to have veto power). She said I would be miserable from the heat, and she was right. Due to the low humidity, you'll find summers here quite peaceful.

BTW, you'll find most people on the forums use "bestway" for trash. There are several companies in the Springs, but they seem to have the best reputation. We forgot to put the trash and recycling out Friday when winter storm cleon was coming through. It was about 0 degrees. The employee hopped out of the truck, ran up to the house and grabbed the trash and recycling containers. He took them down to the curb and emptied them. That was impressive. Their pricing is very competitive with the other trash companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs