U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:27 PM

35 posts, read 90,867 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from Texas, and have lived here our whole lives with the exception of 4 years in California (for a job). We are life-long moderate to severe seasonal allergy sufferers. Our daughters, age 9 and 5, both have allergies as well; our 9 year old gets quite sick from them often (sinus infections, ear infections, persistent cough and allergy induced asthma). For this reason, and a few others, we are seriously considering moving out of state.

When we lived on the California coast (Monterey Bay) we did not have allergies at all...they were non-existent except when we traveled back to Texas or to some other areas. We would move back there in a second but it is very far from our family here in Texas which limited us to only seeing them once or twice a year, and jobs are scarce in my husband's field in that area (online marketing).

We are considering Colorado for several reasons, and a friend told us he did not have allergies there but he has them bad here. I know that it will vary greatly from person to person, but a LOT of people in Texas suffer from allergies...is that the case in Colorado?

We have been to Colorado many times on vacation over the years, and plan to visit again over spring break, but that is not going to tell us much as far as allergies go. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 03:58 PM

6,154 posts, read 9,439,786 times
Your allergies won't be nearly as bad as they are down there, but I wouldn't count on them being completely eradicated. There's a good possibility you'll be trading one set of allergens for another, albeit smaller, one. I was miserable for most of the year when we lived in Dallas, but moving back to Colorado hasn't provided total relief. I'm allergic to sagebrush and it gives me fits when it blooms.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:18 PM

4,329 posts, read 4,350,986 times
In 1977, I moved to Colorado Springs from Phoenix. In Phoenix, I was allergic to everything. I used to rush home to sit under an electrostatic filter to breathe clean air. I was miserable for 10 months each year.

In Colorado Springs I am allergic only to ragweed. It pollinates about Aug 1 and dies at the first big frost. That's it.

Your situation might be different. The best approach to allergies is to avoid the allergens if possible. Try moving here. It might solve your problem.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Thank you both for your replies! Here I would say we suffer from allergies about 10 months out of 12, so most of the year. If that was even cut in half it would be worth it! I am allergic to ragweed, but here the first frost comes later I think so the season is longer.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:21 PM

9,277 posts, read 5,784,185 times
It all depends on what you guys are allergic to. Mountain Cedar really makes us sick, it's in TX and CO.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:28 PM

409 posts, read 557,944 times
I had BAD spring allergies in Maryland. Grasses and trees mostly, but molds were also very much a problem. I've been hoping that allergies wouldn't be as bad here, but we moved here *after* the spring allergy season, so ask me again next year.

In fact, next year, if my allergies are trouble again, the ENT and I have discussed allergy shots.

I will mention, however, that the air is very dry. About a month after we got here, I got a little sore throat, and lost my voice for over a month. I was down to a whisper for three weeks of that. Was it the air? Don't know. But make sure you want to move here for other reasons, too. It might be better for you, but then again, it also might not.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 PM

841 posts, read 1,249,072 times
I've begun to develop allergies here after living here for 10+ years. It's nothing compared to Philadelphia, which almost knocked me over when I visited one July, or Houston. But we do have allergies, and the longer you live somewhere, so I've heard, the more you become susceptible to allergies (?)

Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM

5,006 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Could it also just be that we had a pretty unusually wet summer, and two seasons of wildfires?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Thank you all for your responses! We are allergic to a variety of grasses, trees, and mold. I am allergic to cedar too According to our allergist, the reason our allergies were non-existent on the coast is because the ocean breeze is constantly pushing the air inland, so you don't have pollens and other allergens hanging around. I know that wouldn't be the case in CO though, so we may or may not see an improvement...

Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,492,322 times
Cedar is my biggest allergy complaint. The best thing I can say about the cedar pollen here is that the season is fairly short. However, when it gets going good the cedar pollen in east central Texas must be an order of magnitude greater than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs