U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 01:00 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,709,785 times

Advertisements

Quick note. I also recommend having A/C. It can get pretty hot without it, especially if you had your windows closed and they were facing the sun. You could get home to a house that's 90 or something.

Being from texas, you might find a T-shirt in 50 to be cold, but by 60 it would be okay, and within a couple years your body would adjust. The awful Iowa winters taught em about the kind of awful bone chilling cold that makes you regret life

Denver music scene is good, not much here, and I would think pay would be quite mediocre here. You may find some places to perform, but I wouldn't count on making any meaningful money from it.

You may find yourself going from a very liberal area within a conservative state to a fairly conservative area within a moderate state.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 10:52 AM

74 posts, read 97,086 times
Just wanted to thanks for all this great Information on this thread, I been debating on moving down to Houston or Colorado Springs, I'm from Iowa so I'm used to bad winters and all the snow lol that's not a problem for me, I just want to move to a city that has a lot of life to it, espically the outdoors and I think the Springs win that from all the hiking skiing and snowboarding lol. If you had a choice to pick from Houston or the Springs which one would you pick?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,085,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor91 View Post
If you had a choice to pick from Houston or the Springs which one would you pick?
That is kind of a goofy question to ask people in Colorado Springs! I would vote Colorado Springs for sure. I hate humidity, I like the outdoors and I like our winters here.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:53 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times
Colorado Springs definitely - weather, scenery and the like matter to me and Colorado Springs wins those categories hands down!

Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 PM

727 posts, read 1,136,039 times
Saylor - Just to pick up on Beezle's comment...I doubt most folks would have narrowed down their choices for a place to settle to Houston and COS...just too many fundamental differences for a direct comparison. The weather/climate in COS is a big deal and was the deciding factor for us when we relocated (after having visited cities throughout the West, Southwest, Rockies and Pacific Northwest). We had a long list of preferences and we were more or less returning home to the West after too many years in the East and we had narrowed our choices down to a couple of cities or areas. Colorado in general was always near the top of our list. But we never considered Texas (for many of the reasons you already cited and a few others you didn't). So, IMO basically it's an apples and oranges kind of comparison.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:27 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,531,865 times
Quote:
If you had a choice to pick from Houston or the Springs which one would you pick?
First of all, Houston is not really Texas at all. It's a mish mash of migrants from all over thrown into a permanent traffic jam. It would be my dead last choice of places to live in Texas.

I am from Texas originally and we just bought a house and settled in Colorado Springs. We love it.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 AM

I considered Houston when I was looking at where to relocate. My wife veto-ed it off the list for the heat and humidity. She was definitely right.

I imagine if you ask people on the Houston forum, many of whom live in Houston, the majority of them will prefer it.

Sometimes that is a reflection of people moving to places that fit them, and other times it is people blindly declaring that the place where they are must be the best. In this case, they are both great cities. For several reasons, heat, humidity, views, and traffic leading the list, I would and did choose Colorado Springs.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:59 AM

74 posts, read 97,086 times
I was only considering Houston or texas because of the cheap house and the job market down there is blooming but I know if went down there I would hate the heat and and the traffic down there. I'm from a small town in Iowa but I'm stationed on the east coast right now and only have a couple of months left to decide on where I want to go. Colorado Springs is my top choice, but I was also looking at Des Moines as well and a small city in Utah. I love the outdoors and would love to wake up every day and look at the windows and see mountains. Colorado Springs would also be good for the 3 bases there so I can always network when I get there and go on base and see whats available. I have a good amount of money saved up for the move and I will have 2 full months of vacation pay coming in as well when I make the move.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I was only considering Houston or texas because of the cheap house and the job market down there is blooming but I know if went down there I would hate the heat and and the traffic down there. I'm from a small town in Iowa but I'm stationed on the east coast right now and only have a couple of months left to decide on where I want to go. Colorado Springs is my top choice, but I was also looking at Des Moines as well and a small city in Utah. I love the outdoors and would love to wake up every day and look at the windows and see mountains. Colorado Springs would also be good for the 3 bases there so I can always network when I get there and go on base and see whats available. I have a good amount of money saved up for the move and I will have 2 full months of vacation pay coming in as well when I make the move.
Des Moines is the best city in Iowa, but the gap between Des Moines and real CITIES is still enormous. The difference in services is astounding. How you can get Houston, Colorado Springs, Des Moines, and a small city in Utah all into your finalists is beyond me. The only rational way is that you haven't really sat down and written out the criteria of what you want in a city. If you write out the things that matter most in choosing a city for you, I'd be happy to supply a list of which places would meet those requirements.

For Instance:
Houston is great for low unemployment.
Des Moines looks great for unemployment, but being a smaller city within Iowa the job market is based on nepotism, so unemployment of the non-related is drastically higher.
Colorado Springs has significant unemployment.
The unnamed town in Utah can't be researched without a name.

For weather, if you loved heat and humidity, and some people do, then Houston would be ideal.
If you loved having four seasons but don't like humidity and want each season to be enjoyable, Colorado Springs has some of the finest weather in the country.
In Des Moines, the weather sucks. It really just does suck. If you're stationed on the East Coast, you probably haven't experienced the great climates our country can offer. -- This is not meant to be offensive in any way. I strongly appreciate your service to our country. I also remember that before I began researching geography and weather, I had no idea how different the climate systems could be in the USA.

For cost of living, Houston wins. Des Moines and Colorado Springs are both reasonably affordable, but won't beat Houston. In Colorado Springs the higher house prices make it more expensive, in Iowa it's the absurd property tax that drives up housing.

Quite simply, the only major draw for Des Moines is if you are trying to live near family. Otherwise Colorado Springs has it beat in every reasonable metric. Houston's summers are too hot, but otherwise the very low cost of housing and low unemployment will make it much easier to have enough money for the things you want.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 AM

55 posts, read 56,938 times
Speaking from years of experience. Houston is the armpit of America. The humidity is ever present; it's never low. In the summer months of April to October (some years Mar-Nov) the heat index is just insane. It WILL kill you if you are not careful.
Houston is a lot easier to travel through than most big cities though. There are two outer loops that always seem to flow pretty good even at 5pm. Galveston is just a thirty minute drive, depending on what part of H-town you're in, which is a very cool place to beach yourself for a weekend. You most definitely wanna learn the areas to avoid as there are some very, very hard ghettos there such as the fifth ward.
They have a very nice museum district south of downtown (also just a few wrong turns from a ghetto area).
I personally do not like H-town but then again, I dislike all big cities. Austin is too big for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs