Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,638 times

Advertisements

The data about Colorado Springs indicates that the humidity ranges are higher than I expected for the altitude of the city. Would like to believe that it is not as dry I thought before we move there. Can someone who lives there tell me what they are experiencing, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
I'm sorry, what is humidity?

Oohhhh, it's that thing you feel on the East coast....I remember...

Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times
Define dry. The air is not humid, at all, unless it is raining. If it is raining, the air is still less humid than it is during rain in a coastal city. We do get a respectable amount of rain over the summer, and winters are full of sunshine -- but do have snow. There is very little rain in winter, only snow.

There are some limits to the humidity that can exist at this elevation due to atmospheric pressure. That can not be circumvented in the outdoors with any known technology.

My house on the other hand has reasonable humidity. Around 30 to 35% most of the time. Showers, dish washer, occasionally boiling something, the houses are designed to hold onto the humidity, and when the furnace runs you'll have something that releases a small amount of water into the air. (Assuming you have a quality furnace)

PS. Do you really like humidity? I thought it was fun when I first experienced it, then I learned to dread it. Then I moved to Colorado and life was wonderful.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM

32 posts, read 122,337 times
I've moved here in the Springs from Long Island and lemme tell ya, as Miss Hepburn said, what is humidity?

When I get that chilling blast it's so dry that my nose literally bled a few times before. My skin was also a bit uncomfortable for the first three days so I'd take a shower and an extra bath or two to just soak up, but then I got used to it.

Now I'm going back to humidity in a week to visit family for Christmas. I really do not miss it! I'll take a bleeding nose in the winter than damp, humid, sticky summers and uncomfortable winters any day.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:47 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpanama View Post
The data about Colorado Springs indicates that the humidity ranges are higher than I expected for the altitude of the city. Would like to believe that it is not as dry I thought before we move there. Can someone who lives there tell me what they are experiencing, please?
Most of the Front Range experiences a slight bump in daytime humidity during the monsoonal period of the summer. Unless you're coming from the desert southwest, the Springs will seem very dry to you.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:39 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
I've moved here in the Springs from Long Island and lemme tell ya, as Miss Hepburn said, what is humidity?

When I get that chilling blast it's so dry that my nose literally bled a few times before. My skin was also a bit uncomfortable for the first three days so I'd take a shower and an extra bath or two to just soak up, but then I got used to it.

Now I'm going back to humidity in a week to visit family for Christmas. I really do not miss it! I'll take a bleeding nose in the winter than damp, humid, sticky summers and uncomfortable winters any day.

I actually prefer humidity.

I get used to the dryness eventually, but I find that any time I go "home" (Virginia) to visit or somewhere like that, even for just a few days, when I come back I have to re-adjust to the elevation and dryness of Colorado. My nose bleeds a bit, my sinuses feel just generally kind of uncomfortable, hard to breathe when I'm trying to sleep. Patches of severe dry skin on my eyelids and parts of my face...I don't like it. But I adapt and cope.

Oddly, despite how Washington state was the wettest place I've ever lived, it wasn't really humid like the East Coast can be. Not sticky. The water just didn't linger in the air even when it was constantly misting and raining. I was very comfortable there, it was kind of in-between. But the lack of sunshine will get to you...

Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,638 times
Thanks everyone. Your insight is helpful.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 PM

409 posts, read 703,983 times
People here complain about the humidity when it reaches 40%. It's so cute.

Also, did you know that the heat index can actually be LOWER than the real temperature? I never knew that until I moved here.

I moved here from MD, and have lived in humid places all of my life. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dry air here, even if it does mean that I have occasional dry patches and my brown sugar turns hard as a rock if I leave it open. On the plus side, I have no eczema here, and my dandruff has cleared up.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:51 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
There's humidity???

One thing I've never heard anyone here say: "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." They just look dumbfounded when they start with, "It's not the heat, it's...ah...duh...oops."

Old 12-13-2013, 04:13 PM

409 posts, read 703,983 times
It's the sun. It's awfully warm standing in the sun. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: