U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,023 times

Advertisements

I understand that I am in for a much more appealing winter from what my new boss says. That will be nice.

As I am apartment hunting I was kind of steered toward Old Colorado City by my boss. I'll be working at the Broadmoor and would like to be moderately close to it. Currently in Minnesota my commute is right around 30 minutes. I would rather be around 10-15 in Colorado. From what he said OCC is in that timeframe, however as I am looking for a place I am running into quite a bit of trouble finding something that doesn't look sketchy.

Unfortunately I am going into this blind, I won't have a chance to view anything before hand. So I will probably end up going with a short lease as a trial period as I get to know the area.

Do you guys have any suggestions for where to look in OCC? Otherwise I may end up going closer to work with Wildridge or Copper Chase.

I have a house in Minneapolis that I need to sell before I look toward anything permanent, so my budget is pretty low, but from what I've seen 600-700 can get me into Wildridge from which I see has some pretty good reviews.

It's tough for me because my boss basically said "they're all good options but check out OCC". There were none in the list he sent me from OCC though. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 02:13 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,847,549 times
Try padmapper.com or the rental option on ppar.com

More info on OCC is in the forums, search on OCC.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,085,913 times
I doubt you are going to find many apartments in OCC. More likely to find homes for rent, or townhomes rented out by private parties. And I am not sure about the cost - may be more there too.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 PM

574 posts, read 625,918 times
I don't know what "sketchy" means to you, exactly. OCC is a funky neighborhood. There are some apartments there, but it's mostly older single-family homes. It's a walkable part of town with many small shops and restaurants, but OTOH there are a lot of cheap tourist motels, MMJ lounges, and bums/homeless people around, too. You'd find living in a big apartment complex like Wildridge to be a very different experience.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the info on the OCC. That's kind of what I was afraid of when looking at the places that were for rent near my price range. While I don't really want to do apartment living after owning a house, I think I probably should as I get to know the area and find where a suitable townhouse or something may be for rent.

If any of you have suggestions for apartment complexes near The Broadmoor and Ivywild let me know (pm if you dont want to say here). I would greatly appreciate some input from the area. I have been looking high and low on different apartment ratings sites, however the downside to those sites in my opinion is that usually the only people that are going to show up are either managers trying to boost their stock, or people with complaints to vent somewhere.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 PM

574 posts, read 625,918 times
I don't know very much about apartment complexes, as I own my own home and have never been in the market for a rental here. I do know someone who lived at Wildridge a dozen years ago or so. I thought his apartment was fairly nice, but he had a problem with the roof leaking and moved out. Now he and his wife own a house in OCC. :-) In spite of what I said before about the bums, etc, they decided they'd rather raise their family in a real neighborhood with some diversity to it, instead of a subdivision.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
I don't know very much about apartment complexes, as I own my own home and have never been in the market for a rental here. I do know someone who lived at Wildridge a dozen years ago or so. I thought his apartment was fairly nice, but he had a problem with the roof leaking and moved out. Now he and his wife own a house in OCC. :-) In spite of what I said before about the bums, etc, they decided they'd rather raise their family in a real neighborhood with some diversity to it, instead of a subdivision.
When my parents found out where I purchased my house in Minneapolis they thought I was nuts. It's amazing how much difference a large dividing street can do though. My neighborhood is quite quiet and nice, but a few miles away you can end up in a pretty rough neighborhood.

I don't mind diversity, but don't want to be approached when walking into my residence or anything like that. I know some places in Minneapolis where that may happen at, as I am sure most cities have it.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 PM

12,788 posts, read 10,787,209 times
Rent a small cottage or house in OCC...it is safe there, quaint.
There are rentals also in Apt buildings...temporarily like on King St...houses in Pleasant Valley.
Safety should be your concern, imo....if it is temporary...later you have the Canyon,
Cheyenne Canyon, Downtown ...as in Old North End....you'll see as in buying a home in 6 months.

But just say Westside to a rental agency...
Say safe...who cares if your neighbor has long hair ...it's better than five cars leaking oil and 5 kids screaming as they are checking out your car to rob.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-16-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 AM

409 posts, read 558,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscharfencamp View Post
When my parents found out where I purchased my house in Minneapolis they thought I was nuts. It's amazing how much difference a large dividing street can do though. My neighborhood is quite quiet and nice, but a few miles away you can end up in a pretty rough neighborhood.

I don't mind diversity, but don't want to be approached when walking into my residence or anything like that. I know some places in Minneapolis where that may happen at, as I am sure most cities have it.
I can't think of anywhere in or around OCC that would feel like a Minneapolis Lake Street neighborhood, say. Is the "Mistake on Lake" still there? OCC is MUCH nicer than that area, all around.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
I can't think of anywhere in or around OCC that would feel like a Minneapolis Lake Street neighborhood, say. Is the "Mistake on Lake" still there? OCC is MUCH nicer than that area, all around.
Lake is still dicey. Chicago and Lake and Chicago and Franklin are definitely not places to be at night. I lived in the surrounding area with friends and had no problems, but I don't plan on doing that again. My neighborhood in Minneapolis is a quiet SE neighborhood. Very happy with it, going to miss it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or