U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 04:06 PM

217 posts, read 635,392 times

Advertisements

All good points. If the goal is to attract tourists or "out of state visitors" then I guess those are good projects, but we live in this city. How about attracking the people that live here? I would prefer not to forget about these other areas - like the World Arena and Sky Sox. Are those other projects (children's museum and science museum) going to be forgotten?

Wasn't the Stadium and Event Center once thought to be the replacement venue for Sky Sox?

Are people coming from out of town going to fly into our airport or Denver's? I know they are working on improving things there but that has got to be a big part of this plan. These visitors need to fly in and out of Colorado Springs airport.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:09 PM

20,454 posts, read 38,135,048 times
IIRC early on the downtown stadium was said to be a venue for the Skysox but the team told them in no uncertain terms they didn't want it.

Meanwhile I've seen nothing out of the proponents to seek a minor league football team to play in a downtown facility - IMO that would be really fun, but not a peep out of the perps running this deal.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:11 PM

850 posts, read 1,265,761 times
What needs to happen for Colorado Springs for sure is that we need to have the city center revitalized, and grown- that's the main push. Colorado Springs is like a donut- a very small city core for a city of our size that not many businesses go to- they all go to the outskirts! I have students who never go downtown- not because of the fear of gangs/drugs/whatever, but because they have no need to go downtown. If a city wants to grow, it needs to get its core growing- businesses downtown, etc, instead of on the outskirts of the town. I've often felt that we should take some of the places in the north part of the springs and just make it its own city. It's so far away, might as well.

I'm curious though, sometimes- where do the people live who are the most against it? I wonder if it is primarily people who live on the outskirts of town.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 20,515,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
What needs to happen for Colorado Springs for sure is that we need to have the city center revitalized, and grown- that's the main push. Colorado Springs is like a donut- a very small city core for a city of our size that not many businesses go to- they all go to the outskirts! I have students who never go downtown- not because of the fear of gangs/drugs/whatever, but because they have no need to go downtown. If a city wants to grow, it needs to get its core growing- businesses downtown, etc, instead of on the outskirts of the town. I've often felt that we should take some of the places in the north part of the springs and just make it its own city. It's so far away, might as well.

I'm curious though, sometimes- where do the people live who are the most against it? I wonder if it is primarily people who live on the outskirts of town.
I agree. The only drawback to the project is that the Sky Sox are not going to move.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:21 AM

193 posts, read 298,076 times
The drawback to the project is the millions of dollars it will cost in excess of the absurdly conservative projections made by the proponents. Do a little research: The discrepancy between metrics and financial projections produced by the CFC collaborative and those produced by an independent state hired analyst are concerning.

I hope, whether for or against, people in this town start doing their research (difficult with Gazette as a gatekeeper in this instance, I realize) and using their votes.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,169,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyt00 View Post
What needs to happen for Colorado Springs for sure is that we need to have the city center revitalized, and grown- that's the main push. Colorado Springs is like a donut- a very small city core for a city of our size that not many businesses go to-
How about closing Tejon (downtown) for a ped mall? When I moved back to the Springs a few years ago, I could just see Tejon, with people enjoying the sidewalks and cafes without traffic and noise and gas fumes............similar to the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, or the 16th Street Mall in Denver and other cities.......the malls are very cool. What happened to the downtown shuttle in Colorado Springs? Well, sweet dreams.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:50 PM

19,625 posts, read 9,246,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
How about closing Tejon (downtown) for a ped mall? When I moved back to the Springs a few years ago, I could just see Tejon, with people enjoying the sidewalks and cafes without traffic and noise and gas fumes............similar to the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, or the 16th Street Mall in Denver and other cities.......the malls are very cool. What happened to the downtown shuttle in Colorado Springs? Well, sweet dreams.
I agree. I have thought of that often, especially after visiting Boulder. And it would be so easy to do, and relatively inexpensive.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:38 PM

217 posts, read 635,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I agree. The only drawback to the project is that the Sky Sox are not going to move.
I do not want to see Sky Sox move downtown. I prefer that it's in the neighborhood. The outskirts of downtown need the growth too. So I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just that downtown hasn't kept up. Are they doing the right things to help it grow, I don't know?

Old 03-22-2014, 04:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 20,515,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie73 View Post
I do not want to see Sky Sox move downtown. I prefer that it's in the neighborhood. The outskirts of downtown need the growth too. So I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just that downtown hasn't kept up. Are they doing the right things to help it grow, I don't know?
Having the large facilities like the Sky Sox stadium and the world arena on the out skirts of town and spread out is very bad for a town. The reason is synergy. Having them all in one area creates a synergy as events are held more often in one area and that causes people to go there more which causes more restaurants and stores to open and that causes more people and companies to move there etc. Just look at downtown Denver. If you have them separated then the synergy is not there so some restaurants will open but they only have the one draw instead of multiple. That is why in the case of Pueblo you see a lot going on in downtown with the Riverwalk/ convention center/ ice arena/ art center/ baseball stadium etc. as it created a synergy that is causing more people to go to downtown then if it had been built all over the metro area. Then if you have a strong urban center people will move to the other parts of town helping those areas as well. Why its always important for a city and county to make sure its urban center is thriving and keeping certain things located there like a baseball stadium.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,352,130 times
Get smarter people in office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs