U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 PM

193 posts, read 295,131 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, this initiative was APPROVED for the state funding (tax revenue) asked for by Bach et.al. I can't believe it and think that it's going to put this city into a poor financial state. I have done copious research into the project itself AND the collaboration that advocated for it and to say the least...I am concerned.

I think we need a reservoir, not another stadium.

If you haven't heard about this initiative, i'm not surprised...that was the idea. If you have, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:37 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
I'm not surprised because it seems Bach is just a developer and his role as mayor is heavily influenced by that. Developers seem to think that expanding, growing, using more resources, are permanently sustainable and largely ignore the limitations of resources, space, etc. We do need water, and that is likely to be the issue of the next centuries in many ways. Maybe his idea will do something good, I don't know.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:17 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
I just read the article. The things they plan to build sound like things that couldn't possibly support themselves, and as businesses that is what they should be required to do. If we are going to absorb state funding, I would also find a reservoir to be one of the most intelligent things our city could be building. Improving our water management for the next hundred years seems far more valuable to me.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 AM

874 posts, read 923,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I'm not surprised because it seems Bach is just a developer and his role as mayor is heavily influenced by that. Developers seem to think that expanding, growing, using more resources, are permanently sustainable and largely ignore the limitations of resources, space, etc. We do need water, and that is likely to be the issue of the next centuries in many ways. Maybe his idea will do something good, I don't know.
This is in Colorado Springs: continued development and government subsidies are the city's lifeblood. I wouldn't expect anything less. What is somewhat heartening is that these projects are within the current cities borders and don't contribute to the ever expanding sprawl that is the city.

Not that a water project wouldn't be a fine investment, though the city might want to look at curtailing water usage as a more cost effective way of prolonging existing water supplies.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 AM

162 posts, read 480,719 times
What bothers me most about this is that it seems that nobody wants it. I have read many articles on this and read many discussions about it too. I can't seem to find anyone that is in favor of it. Of course my results are not from an official source. But, it stands to reason that if nobody wants it, why is it being built? How and why are we allowing it to happen? What avenues do we have to block this? It seems much like the gun control issue that got a couple politicians fired recently. We didn't vote them into office to make those kinds of drastic changes and the same thing applies here. If some private investor wants to come in and fund it, I'm all for it. I'd love to have it. I just don't want my tax dollars paying for it.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 AM

55 posts, read 56,878 times
The way I have always seen things like this is that if it really is a good investment then investors will line up to buy into it. When tax payers have to carry the bill, it's most normally a money pit.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,344,698 times
I am normally down on the Springs but this time is a exception. I think this project is good and will not only help the city but all of southern Colorado. Especially when you combine this project to what Pueblo is doing with its downtown it will be nice to have the two urban areas in this part of the state see significant growth by 2020. The only thing is I think the Sky Sox should move to the new stadium as it would be better to have them located in downtown much like the Rockies are located in downtown Denver and not out in Aurora.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagumol View Post
The way I have always seen things like this is that if it really is a good investment then investors will line up to buy into it. When tax payers have to carry the bill, it's most normally a money pit.
Not true. Look at downtown Denver. Much of what you see there is a mix of public and private investment and I would say they are very successful.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:17 PM

55 posts, read 56,878 times
That is a good thing. Where I currently reside, they have erected several high school football stadiums that are much better than a LOT of college stadiums and it's costing people a fortune.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagumol View Post
That is a good thing. Where I currently reside, they have erected several high school football stadiums that are much better than a LOT of college stadiums and it's costing people a fortune.
I can see that in Texas. Developing downtown is different then spending to much on a high school football stadium though.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-19-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs