U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 18,881 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Jon. I currently reside in Atlanta GA and am thinking of moving to CO in the next couple of months. I have done a bit of research about the area and I really like what I'm hearing about Woodland Park. I was wondering how the job market is out there for local truck drivers. I do not want to do any more long distance trucking right now so I will be looking for a local job. Fuel hauler, dump truck, local tractor trailer delivery driver etc... Truck drivers are needed everywhere so I believe I will find something.
How hard would it be to find a rental house for under 1000 a month? Would that price range put me in the complete boonies? Anyone know a rental agency? Also how is the singles life in the area? I know it's a small town but I am 26 and would like to eventually meet someone. I know Colorado Springs is close by so is that where most people my age go to enjoy a little night life? Would I be better off looking in Colorado springs for a rental house for under 1k a month? I just don't want to deal with any more hot summers and I have read that you guys have cooler weather in the summer. Would I really notice a difference in the summer temperatures between the two cities? I really don't like hot summers even short ones. Are there any other towns nearby that fit my description? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:55 AM

794 posts, read 1,496,473 times
My house is 30 minutes away in the southwest part of the county, but Woodland Park is my town for shopping and services. I like it very much. You need to understand that Woodland Park is a small community covering less than six square miles and just over 7,000 people.

$1,000 per month could theoretically get you a small house in Woodland Park. In addition to Woodland Park there are any number of nearby residential areas with cabins, mobile homes, and houses which come up for rent from time to time. Divide is just six miles to the west up the pass and has even more housing. There are no "boonies", although there are two or three subdivisions in the county I'd rather not live in. But note the size of these communities: the entire county has just 23,000 residents and there are not a lot of rentals to be had at any given time. Most properties that WILL be available will not be listed until March or April as activity is rather slow in the winter here.

The same situation applies to your job opportunities. Sure, there are propane companies, rock and gravel companies, deliveries, the gold mine in Cripple Creek is a major employer, and of course the county government. But except for the gold mine (Cripple Creek & Victor Gold Mining Company) you pretty much have to come here to find out what is available. There is essentially only one highway through town, so no tractor trailer operators are located here. Someone is bound to post the obvious point that there are not many jobs to be had in Woodland Park, but then you do not need lots of jobs - just one. Yet it is also true that a very high percentage of residents here work in Colorado Springs.

Night life in Woodland Park is nearly non-existent. The town folds up like a cheap lawn chair about 7:00 pm. In good conditions downtown Colorado Springs is 30 minutes away. There are many community groups with varying levels of activities: churches, outdoors sports, music, motorcycles, etc.

Colorado Springs is nearly 50 times the size of Woodland Park, so obviously it has more of everything. And at lower prices. The summers are definitely warmer in the Springs, 10 - 15 deg. more on any given summer day.

Other towns in this area? Staying with your preference for cool summers, possibly Monument/Palmer Lake. There are many other areas in Colorado - or the mountain west generally - you may want to consider.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM

4,282 posts, read 3,963,513 times
Manitou Springs is another possibility. It's right outside Colorado Springs and very scenic with many areas having nice views of Pikes Peak . You could find a place there for a $1,000 or less even though rentals have tightened up somewhat from when I used to live there. Manitou has a small night life and it's only a few minutes from downtown Colorado Springs which always has something happening - especially on the weekends. You'd also be much closer to potential jobs and the rest of the big city amenities the Springs has to offer.

Woodland is OK, I suppose, but it will always be just an overgrown little mountain town to me. I also dislike the commute on highway 24 up Ute Pass if you are forced to drive it anywhere near the rush hours (which seem to last forever). The average July temp is 78 degrees in Woodland; 82 degrees in Manitou; and 85 degrees in the Springs. I also like Palmer Lake which is about 30 minutes north of the Springs on the Palmer Divide. It does tend to have extremes of weather - it can get horrific hail storms in the summer and heavy snows in the winter which close I-25 just outside of Palmer Lake on Monument Hill. Despite these things I really enjoyed living in Palmer Lake some years back when I rented a little cabin in the Glen area that was right up against the National Forest - lots of wild critters including bears and once a cougar, plus the weather is seldom boring. You'll need good winter tires and fog lights wouldn't hurt for the commute into the Springs on dark winter days.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the info! Y'all are some good people.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:50 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,710,947 times
In COS 1k/month will easliy get you a small house. You'll want to look in the security/widefield area. The odds for meeting singles in COS are significantly higher, just because there are more of them. Yes, there is more competition also, but the more people you can meet the better odds of finding one that is really a great match for you.

Yes, summer weather here is great. (Here refers to Colorado Springs) June can be fairly hot, but by July the thunderstorms set in so even if it gets up to mid eights before the storm, it will be seventies once it hits. Mid eighties here, in the shade, will feel like mid seventies. In the sun it will feel like mid eighties. Compared to Atlanta, it is remarkably cooler here. In Atlanta, mid eighties can feel like low to mid nineties. Woodland park is cooler than COS year round, but you may find it to be too cold in the winter. Personally, I would find it too cool, and I find the weather in COS to be some of the best available in America.

Finding work in woodland park may be fairly difficult. The job market, especially within a specialized field (truck driving is far more specific than customer service) will be better in a bigger city like COS or Denver. You might find something in woodland park, but the odds are better if you are looking in the bigger cities.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Ok I might have to check out the Springs. I mean even if it gets a little hot I'm sure it's not for long. It was pretty warm here in Atlanta the past few days and it's Winter. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:34 AM

4,674 posts, read 6,749,825 times
My daughter lives in the Atlanta are and grew up in Divide. Atlanta is another planet, weatherwise, than Woodland Park, Colorado Springs or Divide. She can't stand the humidity, and the hot summers are horrible. She misses the cool summers of Colorado, the lack of humidity (and bugs), and the afternoon rains in summer. She only occasionally misses the snow in winter, though.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:53 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,115,242 times
Stick to Colorado Springs. Rental market is scarce in WP, but the single ladies are even more rare. I'm married with kids, so I like living in a small quiet town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs