U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 5,429 times

Advertisements

Hello- Im relocating to Colorado Springs because ive developed a advanced respiratory problem due to asthma im in florida now and its just not conducive to my condition ive been looking at apts for rent , noticed a very cheap "cottage" for rent for $400 mo. its older but I was raised in a pretty old house so I dont mind that im just curious as to the people that reside in the knob hill area also the jobs there is this a "red light district" kind of place? ive done a search and most things that come up seem to be nightclubs. Thanks for your time
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
First off, have you been here before, or to anywhere high in elevation like Denver? If you have respiratory issues, the altitude may be hard on you. You might look into other locations that are dry but not at high altitude perhaps, or at least visit and see if you just experience the normal fatigue of a lowlander or if it's more severe for you. My son has asthma and he is fine here, but he's on controller meds that keep him in good shape anyways...so your mileage may vary.

Secondly, a wise recommendation to anyone is to rent for a bit instead of buying property, which it sounds like you're planning to do...so if you did rent a place like this, don't get into a lease for longer than a year, and that way if you hate it, you can move when it's up.

We don't have what I'd call a "red light district" anywhere in the Springs. There are worse neighborhoods than this one in town. There are also better ones. It's lower middle class housing, but many of the predominantly residential streets are...well...residential. I have looked up and found the listing for this place you're looking at...if you want to put it on a list to look at during a house hunting, that is one thing...but I would NOT trust it sight-unseen. You have got to look in person before you commit, period, especially since this is listed on Craigslist. I'd bet that from the looks of it, this is not a quaint little old bungalow, it's probably not well maintained, and there will be some possibly rough elements in that neighborhood (I see an apartment complex really close by and a rundown fence across the street.)

Now if cheap is what you need and you're willing to brave an iffy neighborhood, here's what you should know.

In the Springs, I don't think that even the worst neighborhoods are severely racially segregated. I've noticed that in some of the rough neighborhoods (whether that means ghetto, barrio, or trailer park) in other cities if your skin isn't the right color, you're in danger. I don't think that's the case here, anywhere in this city. Hope that doesn't offend anyone, I'm just calling it like I see it. You're not going to automatically be shot for walking down the street. You may hear disturbances. It would be wise to make sure you secure your belongings, don't leave anything unlocked, don't leave valuables in your car, and get renter's insurance. I've lived in worse places...and sometimes finances force you to take what you can get, but if you're wise, you can make it work as a temporary solution.

Perhaps one of the old regulars on here can point you to the crime map and meth house list. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you scope out the meth house list before renting anything! There have been cases of owners renting out contaminated meth lab houses, and the tenants being thrown out by the cops, losing all of their stuff (contaminated) and having basically no recourse...it's up to you to check the list published by the city police.

On the bright side, I think you'd find a lot more job opportunities of almost any kind here than in Florida. I've heard AWFUL things from people trying to find stable work down there. I'm not saying the streets are paved with gold here, but I think that someone willing to try has a better chance here than in many, many places.

Hope that helps...and best of luck to you!!

Old 12-27-2013, 12:59 PM

575 posts, read 669,214 times
That neighborhood has a higher crime rate but like any place there are some nicer pockets; overall I would call it marginal. Personally I would look elsewhere but at the very least you need to see it for yourself. Like Sonic_Spork said, do not trust rental information over the internet sight unseen.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Thank you so much both of you ,i was actually gonna rent a apt/house cheap while looking for ranch type property kinda out of town, i think i'll just rent a room in a nice house instead.Happy new year!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
If you're coming alone, renting a room in a nice house can be a very good choice. You can get some decent places for 400/month, and a room in a beautiful house with shared services (like watching their cable tv) for 600/month. As per all other guidance, still see the place and meet the owner first. In my opinion, the best situations come from creating a good relationship with an owner that is living in the house. Subletting a room from another renter just doesn't offer the same knowledge about the immediate area.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 AM

thanx guys ...that being said... do you guys/gals know of a rental ? I have about 3 mo rent CASH. thanx guys/gals

Old 01-08-2014, 09:36 AM

641 posts, read 1,954,356 times
I would check out Craigslist under rentals and rooms/shared. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:13 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
IS that 3 months of living expenses, or 1200$? If you're assuming 400 rent and nothing for groceries, most landlords would consider that to be about one month of living expenses. They really won't believe that you're going to fast for 3 months, unless you are willing to pay the 3 months of rent up front. However, there is also a security deposit, so you'd really need to pay security deposit and two months rent and plan to not eat until there was a job. Month to month leases also tend to be higher priced.

Not trying to be a downer, just want to make sure you understand how landlords will see the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs