Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Military presence?
No, not from the 2010 census. For 2010, all military were counted at the address they provided at time of enlistment. So this was all local and home grown reporting. For 2020 this will change to the base of operations, so we should see a significant difference in Cos demographics after that count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
No, not from the 2010 census. For 2010, all military were counted at the address they provided at time of enlistment. So this was all local and home grown reporting. For 2020 this will change to the base of operations, so we should see a significant difference in Cos demographics after that count.
Very interesting I didn't realize that.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Military presence?
Bingo. The areas around the military bases tend to be the most diverse, as that's usually what makes up most of the military, specifically the Army. More often than not, military service is a way out of poverty and lack of opportunity for many low income minorities.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think we should care that it is reality because it reveals how far we still have to go when it comes to race in this country. I do not think people should be using race data to choose where to live or not to live - i.e., I would rather see this data be used to address a problem rather than further it.
I’ll disagree. The more we look at race, the longer we we see different races as being different rather looking at everyone as just human.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:41 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
I’ll disagree. The more we look at race, the longer we we see different races as being different rather looking at everyone as just human.
I think if you put on blinders about racial segregation reality in our country, it perpetuates it rather than solves it - i.e. it doesn't actually help us achieve the goal of seeing everyone as just human when we put on blinders about how we are not currently doing so.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 AM

730 posts, read 769,337 times
I don’t use race data to determine where I live. I use information about neighborhood schools that I get from a variety of places. Neighborhood school resources matter most to me and my family because we have special needs. People chose where they want to live for all kind of reasons not related to race at all.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
I don’t use race data to determine where I live. I use information about neighborhood schools that I get from a variety of places. Neighborhood school resources matter most to me and my family because we have special needs. People chose where they want to live for all kind of reasons not related to race at all.
Yes, modern realities of segregation are often economically driven. Older cities back east have some larger history of segregation on race that also plays in, but, for example, in Colorado Springs, it is primarily a consequence of economics. Perceived "White flight" to the northern and eastern expanding parts of our city is largely a result of who has the resources and background to choose where they live for the schools or the newer house or the better view, etc., vs. this is the only place in town we can afford, etc. The race factor is still in play because there still exist racial/ethnic discrepancies in earning power, educational attainment, employment, etc. Let's look at, for example, who lives around Mitchell High School and why that is where they live vs. somewhere else. At one point that was a new and very desirable neighborhood but that is not what it is today and who lives there today and sends their kids to Mitchell High School looks different than it did 45-50 years ago, the reasons largely being economic, but when you look at who is affected, then the racial factor shows up.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:28 PM

730 posts, read 769,337 times
You know, otowi, I think everyone who is a regular poster on here knows your bias regarding city neighborhoods. You have numerous posts about your distaste for the NE side of town. That’s fine, that’s your opinion. I personally think your bias misleads newbies when they ask basic questions about the town, but that’s my opinion. I don’t go off on Security/Fountain based on gross stereotypes. There are pros and cons to every part of this city. I think other parts of CoS are beautiful, close to amenities, etc. and I can totally see why other local posters live in those other areas. I even have a friend who lives in Fountain and I get why she lives there. To each their own.
As far as this thread’s topic, there is a huge thread in Politics and Controversies or Education regarding location and race privilege. Not sure why you are posting this here except to complain about the dreaded North East side once again. What cracks me up is you have said in previous posts that all the school districts are all the same in CoS. But now in your last post, people who have resources choose where they want to be for the schools and that is the NE.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
You know, otowi, I think everyone who is a regular poster on here knows your bias regarding city neighborhoods. You have numerous posts about your distaste for the NE side of town. That’s fine, that’s your opinion. I personally think your bias misleads newbies when they ask basic questions about the town, but that’s my opinion. I don’t go off on Security/Fountain based on gross stereotypes. There are pros and cons to every part of this city. I think other parts of CoS are beautiful, close to amenities, etc. and I can totally see why other local posters live in those other areas. I even have a friend who lives in Fountain and I get why she lives there. To each their own.
As far as this thread’s topic, there is a huge thread in Politics and Controversies or Education regarding location and race privilege. Not sure why you are posting this here except to complain about the dreaded North East side once again. What cracks me up is you have said in previous posts that all the school districts are all the same in CoS. But now in your last post, people who have resources choose where they want to be for the schools and that is the NE.
What did I say that offended you about the NE? I don't dislike the northeast part of town. I just think it is not the only option that is worth people considering, and I attempt to provide some balance when other posters consistently mention the same areas over and over as if they're the only worthwhile parts of the city for someone coming to city-data forums to consider as a place to live. My bias is against recommending ONLY those areas, not in recommending them period.

It is a simple fact that the NE part of town is less racially diverse than some other parts of town. Mentioning it is not meant to be disparaging, but simply to state the fact. I do not believe I have ever said that all schools are the same in COS, but what I have said is that the vast majority of schools here are places where a good education can be achieved and that test scores don't really tell you much about the true educational quality in a school but tend instead to tell you primarily about socioeconomics, and that most of our schools are pretty good to the extent that in many cases school 'shopping' is not really necessary - wherever you land your neighborhood school is likely to be just fine. I stand by that. Yes, some people who have resources choose schools - that is a fact, but that doesn't mean that those schools are necessarily the only places where good educations can be had. Some schools face more economic challenges than others, some schools have better teachers or administrators than others (the latter often having nothing to do with the population of students in the school, but sometimes it does), some schools have better programs or services in particular areas than others. But are all the "best" schools in D20 or 12 or 38? No. There are some amazing schools in D2, D11, etc. Some of those schools excel over the better rated or higher SES schools in numerous factors. So it all depends on what you are looking for. Most people who choose to do school shopping are not going to choose Mitchell High School because of 1. economics of the area 2. a problem with administration and teacher turnover due to it. But there are people who do choose it because of its outstanding JROTC program, for example.

So please do not misunderstand me. I am not against the north side of town. It is beautiful. It has some nice things. Some of it is not to my taste, some of it is. I am just against people advising seekers dismissively toward other parts of town or people assuming that a poorer, less new, smaller-housed, or more diverse neighborhood is a "ghetto". I am against people abandoning neighborhoods to blight and furthering irresponsible sprawl by developers. There are plenty of people in these forums who tout the benefits of that part of town. I just don't want that to be the only voice as if only the north is good and nothing else is. And I am not saying you do that, I am talking in general about the forum as a whole. I think it has gotten better than it once was.

Last edited by otowi; 01-03-2019 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 AM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times
Quote:
Very true, and one of the only reasons I still post here. People often come to this website for honest information, but then get a liberal warped opinion. They deserve more accurate info. I realize we are way off topic, but I’m not sure this thread was ever about COS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs