U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 09:46 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times

Advertisements

I think it is going to be no big deal just like the end to prohibition was no big deal here, as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:19 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,710,947 times
I predict some of our current elected officials will be thrown out of office for not allowing shops in the Springs. It not only hurts tourism, it means our current customers either continue to buy from illegal sources or go to Pueblo to purchase. We miss out on the job (from someone running the store), the profits from the sale (going to a local owner), and the tax revenues on the sale. That's unfortunate.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:35 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,535,302 times
I predict that big tobacco companies will squeeze the little guys out of the MJ business. If there's money to be made, the big companies will be the ones making it. I sincerely hope the other states legalize MJ soon. I don't want CO to be the only magnet. COS will eventually have to go along with the sales to avoid losing tax revenue.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 AM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
980 posts, read 862,662 times
Good to know that my Magical Mystery Tours buses will be able to get in/out of the cities we need to in CO & WA. i may offer some brownie snacks for the return home trip, too.
I spent 38 years caring for peeps in the ERs across America. 'Stoners' were never any 'problem' as patients and as far as it being a gateway to other drugs, much worse ones, I doubt it. I smoked it, at age 15 thru 20 (1969-73) and found it wasn't for my liking as it made me tired & hungry, too...neither of which I wanted to be in college, even back then. I also quit, honestly, because I was graduating from Nursing School and would need a job...one where alert & oriented was important. Now at age 60, I hope to try it again as MMJ for the chronic back/neck/shoulder pain I have from those long yrs of lifting, pulling on patients in the same line of work. It seems better to me than the Fentanyl patches and dailypills I now take, prescribed by a MD...and won't be addicting. I'm planning my move to your beautiful state today.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:29 AM

553 posts, read 1,416,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
.....and as far as it being a gateway to other drugs, much worse ones, I doubt it.
I suspect some of the "gateway" reputation was the result of procurement. When you need to go to an illegal dealer to get marijuana, guess who is also the guy who can get you more dangerous drugs? On the other hand, when you can get marijuana legally at a licensed, regulated shop, you no longer have a contact that can get you harder drugs. I think legalization will decrease the likelihood of marijuana leading to other drug use. Why risk finding a dealer and facing stiff penalties, when you can buy marijuana risk-free?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 AM

162 posts, read 481,097 times
I predict that once the annual report of revenue RMJ has generated in 2014 gets published, COS will look into changing their stance on the subject. I have always said they should legalize it and tax the crap out of it. I have lived in COS off and on since 1994. We decided recently to settle down here permanantly after our military retirements. The biggest gripe I have is the personal property tax here. Having to pay thousands of dollars each year to register vehicles and our motorhome is ridiculous. I would love to see COS start allowing RMJ to be sold here and then put the increased revenue towards lowering those taxes. It will never happen but one can hope.

Why wouldn't a city take advantage of this? Makes no sense to me.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,301,009 times
I think the main reason CoS did not go for it is out of concerns for the military bases surrounding the city. Even though everybody knows that soldiers still get tested and still can't smoke unless they want to lose rank and face other discipline...a lot of the young enlisted dudes are well...young. Young people don't always make smart decisions. I think the military has a vested interest in not increasing their opportunities to make dumb decisions. I didn't hear any specific news to indicate that, it's just my observation as the wife of a soldier who just got out. Can't even say I completely disagree with the logic, even as pro-legalization as I am.

Oh, and mooksmom, I hope your move goes smoothly and you find yourself happy here. While I busted on the notion of folks moving here just for the pot, I want to make clear that I wasn't referring to mature adults making considered decisions, or people with medical reasons...I was concerned only about the kids who think it's gonna be one big consequence-free party zone with an unlimited string of couches to sleep on LOL! I'm definitely well aware of the many shades of situationality that make a person decide to use MJ. Best wishes to you!

I'm glad my biggest fear did not materialize, I was worried that the feds would set up big busts right around the moment those shops opened on day one...I hope the federal authorities keep their noses out of this and let's just see how this social experiment plays out.

EDIT: I'm sounding awfully biased against youth, aren't I? Well, in all fairness, while maybe not everyone was a bit of an idiot in their late teens and early 20's, I sure was...at age 34 I'm still paying for some of those mistakes, and I had NO idea it would take so many years to get out of the hole I dug myself into. But the great thing about youthful foolishness is...ya outgrow it eventually!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM

20,326 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think the main reason CoS did not go for it is out of concerns for the military bases surrounding the city. Even though everybody knows that soldiers still get tested and still can't smoke unless they want to lose rank and face other discipline...a lot of the young enlisted dudes are well...young. Young people don't always make smart decisions. I think the military has a vested interest in not increasing their opportunities to make dumb decisions. I didn't hear any specific news to indicate that, it's just my observation as the wife of a soldier who just got out. Can't even say I completely disagree with the logic, even as pro-legalization as I am.

Oh, and mooksmom, I hope your move goes smoothly and you find yourself happy here. While I busted on the notion of folks moving here just for the pot, I want to make clear that I wasn't referring to mature adults making considered decisions, or people with medical reasons...I was concerned only about the kids who think it's gonna be one big consequence-free party zone with an unlimited string of couches to sleep on LOL! I'm definitely well aware of the many shades of situationality that make a person decide to use MJ. Best wishes to you!

I'm glad my biggest fear did not materialize, I was worried that the feds would set up big busts right around the moment those shops opened on day one...I hope the federal authorities keep their noses out of this and let's just see how this social experiment plays out.
Sonic: Agree. What bugs me about the military are the Class 6 stores, where uniformed personnel buy alcohol and tobacco products at roughly half the civilian price since these "products" are free of all Federal taxes when bought in a class-6 store. If that has changed over the years, someone please update me.

Mooksmom: you're going to love it here. We've a lot of threads here on moving to the city. Look at ppar.com for rentals and sales, or padmapper.com for rentals.

Moman1: Agree. Legalize MJ here and tax it heavily.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,301,009 times
Mike, you're correct. The class 6 still sells booze and smokes cheaper than elsewhere, and that is kinda lame. We've been paying $39.65 (IIRC) for a carton of Camels from the store on Fort Carson. So while it's not super, super cheap...it's still cheaper than most places.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM

20,326 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Mike, you're correct. The class 6 still sells booze and smokes cheaper than elsewhere, and that is kinda lame. We've been paying $39.65 (IIRC) for a carton of Camels from the store on Fort Carson. So while it's not super, super cheap...it's still cheaper than most places.
Thank you. My "heartache" with that is it seems we're subsidizing two substances that are detrimental to the health of our personnel. It also creates very expensive medical issues that will cost a fortune decades down the road, and in the case of alcohol, some very negative consequences while members are still in uniform and on active duty. All that considered, I so look forward to full legalization and getting on with sane and rational governance in our nation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs