U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:01 PM

553 posts, read 1,417,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
What bugs me about the military are the Class 6 stores, where uniformed personnel buy alcohol and tobacco products at roughly half the civilian price since these "products" are free of all Federal taxes when bought in a class-6 store. If that has changed over the years, someone please update me.
I don't smoke, so I can't speak to that, but I can get liquor cheaper at a big box liquor store (like Cheers) than I can in a Class VI store. Just like the on-base gas station, they do surveys of prices outside the gate, and mark theirs down just a small fraction from the average. The price might not include federal tax, but it's still comparable. Just a bigger profit margin for AAFES than your local liquor store gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM

9,866 posts, read 6,324,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
sane and rational governance in our nation.
That would be AMAZING.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM

651 posts, read 706,245 times
I bet the illegal pot dealers in the state are pissed

I could care less if pot is legal or not. I do think legalizing drugs is a good thing though. I am sure the governments are always looking for increased taxes.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,547,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I bet the illegal pot dealers in the state are pissed

Yes, and that is why all drugs should be legal. The only way to stop the plague of drug dealing is to take the profit out of it. The murderous alcohol gangs of Prohibition are the perfect example.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:13 AM

4,343 posts, read 4,382,466 times
One huge benefit of making pot legal is to eliminate the possibility of a life long liability one receives as a result of a criminal conviction due to youthful indiscretion.

As young people, most of us try things that we regret later. For example, I learned the hard way that the marginal utility of that 9th shot of tequila was much less than the first.

When I tried pot I discovered that it was no big deal. Had I been arrested and convicted it would have been a life changing event.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:23 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,547,561 times
You have said a lot. There was a time when people drank too much and just got carried home by the police. Today it is a life ruining event like robbing a bank. Life in America just isn't much fun anymore with everything being against the law somehow or another.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 AM

9,866 posts, read 6,324,102 times
That point about youthful indescretions turning into life-wrecking convictions is spot on. That's a big reason I'm pro legalization. Besides the fact that it ruins the life of the person in question in many ways...you've now got someone who may have gone in a silly kid and come out a criminal thanks to spending time in the prison system. But these private prisons...they have the inmates do certain work and they also charge "room and board" sometimes FAR in excess of what normal apartment rent and food is outside...they are trying to profit from putting people in jail. Which frankly sickens me. Human misery as a commodity to be exploited.

I think that for a big majority of people who are young and smoke up for some period in their lives, it's something you outgrow and it's not a big deal. A small percentage wind up making it a part of life in the long term, some are more functional at that than others. I really don't think any of that is going to change now.

Like I've said, when I quit it had nothing to do with the fact that it was illegal. It was because I got pregnant and had to GROW UP and be responsible. I never have the time or luxury to be incapacitated, at any moment someone might need me and I've got to be there for them. It's my Mom obligation that I take very seriously. My husband on the other hand...maybe not so much. But at least ONE of us is on their game...

Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,494,649 times
I have heard of interesting new businesses, especially bus tours to different shops for the over 50 crowd. I really like the sound of that!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

666 posts, read 991,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I have heard of interesting new businesses, especially bus tours to different shops for the over 50 crowd. I really like the sound of that!

I was talking about stuff like this to wifey last night. It will be interesting to see what type of vacation/tourists businesses can come of this.

My prediction is things will go on quite normally. The ones crying now will not stop, but the world will continue on and weed being legal will not have a domino effect upon anything.

It's really not a big deal and this is how it should be.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:25 PM

2,534 posts, read 5,827,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I was talking about stuff like this to wifey last night. It will be interesting to see what type of vacation/tourists businesses can come of this.

. . .
Hope it's okay to bud in on the Springs conversation -
Up the road in Denver, there's a stretch of Federal Blvd that includes lots of great Asian, Mexican, Central American food - groceries, restaurants, streetside roasters etc; it's very near Mile Hi (oops - sports authority) stadium.

There are already several recreational shops open and proudly selling 100% locally colorado grown, lovingly raised, finest strains of bud along that stretch - imagine the tours - tastes of different buds, then a foodie jaunt down Federal. Colorado dive life at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs