U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM

583 posts, read 1,301,240 times

Advertisements

Hey, if a pothead want to smoke a joint on his/her own property, more power to them.

I just don't want them smoking in public around me and my kids nor do I want to pay for the their problems associated with smoking pot. If you smoke pot, don't rely on me to bail you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 PM

849 posts, read 1,500,649 times
you legalize all drugs and stop the drug cartel violence overnight. CO will set the example...in 7 years marijuana will be legal in every state. CO gets a bad rap for being an early adopter...but it is what it is. If you don't like it...leave. Most of you aren't NATIVE anyway. <<----says the kid that NOW resides in IL. 303 for life!!! P.S. GO BRONCOS!!!! PFM 4 President!!!!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 PM

542 posts, read 1,199,413 times
Thought I would chime in on this thread from a perspective that has not been mentioned. Landlords have increasingly been banning smoking (cigarettes) on/in their rentals, for several reasons.
1) Increased risk of fire on their property.
2) Increased cleaning costs to rid the unit of the smell/stains/burn marks associated with careless smokers.
3) Smokers make the complex less appealing to "clean cut" grade A tenants, people with health/allergy issues, people with kids, etc.

These same issues are also valid reasons for landlords wanting to prohibit MJ. I have a feeling landlords will be thinking long and hard about whether they want to prohibit MJ at their rentals. Of course, that may open them up to lawsuits for discrimination from people with a prescription to use MJ for a disability. If the landlord opts to allow medical use but ban recreational use, then those groups I mentioned above will again be looking elsewhere to rent.

I have read articles regarding various ways landlords are trying to address this to best appeal to good tenants while at the same time trying to avoid lawsuits. I have a feeling we will see how it plays out in the next few years as lawsuits against "discriminating" landlords will pit state law against federal law. At some point, they will have to be reconciled.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM

9,778 posts, read 6,282,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
Thought I would chime in on this thread from a perspective that has not been mentioned. Landlords have increasingly been banning smoking (cigarettes) on/in their rentals, for several reasons.
1) Increased risk of fire on their property.
2) Increased cleaning costs to rid the unit of the smell/stains/burn marks associated with careless smokers.
3) Smokers make the complex less appealing to "clean cut" grade A tenants, people with health/allergy issues, people with kids, etc.

These same issues are also valid reasons for landlords wanting to prohibit MJ. I have a feeling landlords will be thinking long and hard about whether they want to prohibit MJ at their rentals. Of course, that may open them up to lawsuits for discrimination from people with a prescription to use MJ for a disability. If the landlord opts to allow medical use but ban recreational use, then those groups I mentioned above will again be looking elsewhere to rent.

I have read articles regarding various ways landlords are trying to address this to best appeal to good tenants while at the same time trying to avoid lawsuits. I have a feeling we will see how it plays out in the next few years as lawsuits against "discriminating" landlords will pit state law against federal law. At some point, they will have to be reconciled.

I think that the obvious way to reconcile it is for landlords to stick to "NO SMOKING" (of any smokeable substance) rules. Then, if someone wishes to use MJ for rec or med reasons, they can simply stick to vapes and edibles, or else do it elsewhere.

Again, as I've often said with regard to workplace drug testing...merely because the State has said you no longer need to be arrested or imprisoned for using weed, does not mean that we all have the RIGHT to use weed with no consequences. Your employer has no obligation to employ you and your landlord has no obligation to rent to you. Your contracts with these private entities differ from your contract with society's laws. Sometimes we have to make choices, which is more important...smoking pot, or knowing that our housing or job is not at risk. The point is...people should have the right to make that choice for better or worse without the government telling them what's what. At least I think so.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:52 PM

542 posts, read 1,199,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think that the obvious way to reconcile it is for landlords to stick to "NO SMOKING" (of any smokeable substance) rules. Then, if someone wishes to use MJ for rec or med reasons, they can simply stick to vapes and edibles, or else do it elsewhere.

Again, as I've often said with regard to workplace drug testing...merely because the State has said you no longer need to be arrested or imprisoned for using weed, does not mean that we all have the RIGHT to use weed with no consequences. Your employer has no obligation to employ you and your landlord has no obligation to rent to you. Your contracts with these private entities differ from your contract with society's laws. Sometimes we have to make choices, which is more important...smoking pot, or knowing that our housing or job is not at risk. The point is...people should have the right to make that choice for better or worse without the government telling them what's what. At least I think so.
I admittedly know little (read: nothing) about the methods of using MJ for med purposes. If it is just as effective if eaten versus smoked, then perhaps that may be an easy out for landlords - "no smoking" and that's the end of it.

Agree with your second paragraph. Alcohol is legal too, but it doesn't mean we can show up to work drunk if our employers have a policy against it. So perhaps MJ won't be as big of a deal as people are making it out to be; the soonest we'd be moving out of CA (potentially to CO) would be about 2.5 years from now, so we'll sit back and observe what happens.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Manitou Springs just approved Rec MJ sales to start this Spring.

I predict traffic jams on Colorado Ave and/or Hwy 24; no shops in the central shopping area of town; "...Police Chief Joe Ribeiro said his department is gearing up for an onslaught of traffic when the retail outlets open...."

The current issue of ReLeaf is now out and the paper has added a cannabiz section to the paper.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 PM

2,983 posts, read 2,399,742 times
I think (I don't have the inside scoop on this) the black market prices are not that much more expensive than legal prices, so most of the "pot tourism" would be from in state Coloradans. The trip cost would be much more than the cost of black market prices.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 AM

641 posts, read 1,955,374 times
Good input, good info, Mike!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM

9,778 posts, read 6,282,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think (I don't have the inside scoop on this) the black market prices are not that much more expensive than legal prices, so most of the "pot tourism" would be from in state Coloradans. The trip cost would be much more than the cost of black market prices.
My understanding was the opposite, that black market prices were lower, because legal pot has hefty taxes added on, albeit only the recreational stuff--medical still being taxed less (at all?) and cheaper. I'd love to know from someone with recent experience in both markets what the actual comparison is.

And evidently the novelty of legal weed has been enough to draw in plenty of tourists from other states already. I have heard from people who have seen in person the many out of state plates in the parking lots of these places. I just hope more states follow suit and we get it descheduled, because I find it mildly annoying that people (both pro and anti, smokers and not) seem to think this is such a big deal. It really isn't. I make a point of telling my many out of state friends and acquaintances. By and large it's affected my life...not at all. Except insofar as having some interesting conversations and a passel of silly jokes about the "Super Bowl." Ha, ha. But seriously. Who cares?

I wonder if it's legal for them to put in a drive through window...? I can see the value in streamlining the process, especially in Manitou. It's not like you're allowed to smoke it on the premises anyways, you already have to get it and vamoose off to your own private digs...

Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 PM

479 posts, read 676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Manitou Springs just approved Rec MJ sales to start this Spring.

I predict traffic jams on Colorado Ave and/or Hwy 24; no shops in the central shopping area of town; "...Police Chief Joe Ribeiro said his department is gearing up for an onslaught of traffic when the retail outlets open...."

The current issue of ReLeaf is now out and the paper has added a cannabiz section to the paper.
I hope Manitou can set a new quality standard for both med and rec mj, by requiring product testing and labeling. The current standards are still lax after years of med mj. The best consumers can hope for a measure of THC percentage (usually about 15-25%), with no mention of CBD % or strain parentage or contaminants. The strain naming follows no standard and is generally unreliable, unless we are personal friends with the growers.

Cannabiz and the Cannabist might eventually raise their game to give better reviews of the dispensaries, shops and strains. 2014 could see a maturing of the industry (just before the corporations jump in). That doesn't mean its not fun right now, though.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 01-26-2014 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs