U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,932,176 times

Advertisements

I live in the area near the hospital where your wife will work and you will love it here. There are excellent schools nearby, shopping, and Sky Sox stadium. You can easily find a home around here without a horrendous commute.

I have many friends that have season tickets to Bronco games and they live in COS. They find a way to make it work. I go up to Denver a few times a year. For the zoo, the museums and for some of the shops that we don't have here (Container store, Cheesecake factory, Ikea, etc...). If you want super high end shopping, you can go up to the Cherry Creek area (Hermes, etc..).

I agree with the others, you don't need to live in Monument.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:32 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,721,413 times
I live just outside the boundaries of Briargate and I love it. I'd recommend looking within 3-4 miles of her job. Yes, commuting is faster here so you can live farther away, but there are very few incentives. She'll be making the trip 3 times a week, sometimes more because of meetings and training sessions for nurses. (My wife is also a nurse) There are just so many great areas near that hospital.

As a Springs Resident, I find myself going to Denver about 4 times a year. I went there recently to drop a friend off at DIA after the airline screwed up his flight, which was supposed to leave from CoS. (United fails) Before that I went to watch a Bronco game about two months ago. I also went up there for a flight out of Denver because we had to attend a funeral and the cheapest last week fairs by a mile came from frontier. I haven't been impressed with them either, but we saved several hundred. I really wish I could fly out the Springs and use Southwest. I also went up there to buy a computer. Those are the four trips I can think of in the last year. So, if airlines didn't fail / rip off customers on short notice, I'd have only gone up there twice.

How many games per year do you currently attend? That's a good barometer of how often you might go to Denver. Because travel doesn't take very long, it won't add much time to your Denver trip to be closer to her job. An added bonus is that during a blizzard, she must get to work. As a nurse, it is her responsibility to get there and keep people alive. It sucks horribly to miss a game you have tickets to, but no one is dead or fired because of it.

I don't ski/board, so I can't help there.

Glad you enjoy the cold. We get a few cold snaps, but otherwise you'll have to go out at 5am to really feel some cold. If you liked Alaska, we won't even begin to measure as "cold" for you most days, but compared to Dallas you'll certainly find it much more to your liking.

Congratulations on the job and the move.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,146,522 times
Before we bought our home in Monument, we looked all over the north end of COS, north of Woodmen Rd. There are many very nice areas to choose from, but most have a similar feel of suburban explosion. But there are many neighborhood parks, walking trails, and sidewalks. You will also be closer to Penrose and major shopping.
We were desiring something different having lived in similar environments. We fell in love with the treed areas around Monument. We were lucky to find a home we could afford in Woodmoor. All the lots are are over half acre and all the homes are custom, some dating back to the 60's. There is a totally different feel from housing tracts on small lots and hundred of homes built at the same time.
The weather can be more severe, but since moving here in '04, there was only one time when I was not able to access I25. That lasted only 2 days in Jan '07, wheneven DIA was closed. Even that was due to our particular location. 95% of Woodmoor was able to get out without problems.
Most people here commute everyday to COS or Denver. One of our neighbors even drove to Pueblo everyday. The drive to Penrose is easy using 83 to Powers. No need to use 25. Usually takes about 20 minutes.
Cons> more snow and colder temps in winter. No sidewalks or parks. Further to COS.
Pros> cooler temps in the summer. Less traffic due the density of housing. Easy access to Denver. Lots of mature pines make it feel like you're living in the mountains.
Only you can determine if the added time to commute to work is worth it of not. Renting for the first year will give you a much better understanding of the area and will help prioritize your wants and needs.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,332,661 times
I'm glad we had someone living in Monument chime in (thanks vfrpilot!)...and totally agree that renting for a while gives you time to really explore and figure things out before you buy a house.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,146,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm glad we had someone living in Monument chime in (thanks vfrpilot!)...and totally agree that renting for a while gives you time to really explore and figure things out before you buy a house.
Thanks. Everyone has a different perpective. I also forgot to mention this>
Colorado Sports and Events Center

Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,229 times
Thanks to all who responded!!! Appreciate the great info, and did not know monument had a rink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs