U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,225 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I understand there are MANY "moving to the springs, what are some good neighborhoods?" I have read just about all of them.

A lot of the ones I read were some time ago, however, and everyone's situation is a bit different, so i thought I would ask some questions specific to my situation. If you find them to be redundant. Please don't feel like you have to respond. Any help would be appreciated however.

I am 26, my soon-to-be-wife 27. She'll be working at the St. Francis Penrose Hospital on the Northeast side of town, while I will be working from home. Because of this, We'll probably try to live close to the hospital.

Does anyone have thoughts on living in Monument? We are coming from Dallas, so I'd like to be close-ish to Denver to be able to go to Avs/Rockies games, shop(her), etc. I am very excited to be living in or near the Springs however due to traffic et all. I wonder what the commute time could be from Monument to north COS?

We are looking to rent a house for the first year, then buy. Looking to spend around $1600/month. I have done quite a bit of research in this area, and have been to the springs 5-7 times. But always interested to hear people's perspectives on neighborhoods on the northeast side of town, and also perhaps a bit farther north than COS.

My main concern moving somewhere brand new is really becoming part of the community. I will be coaching hockey in town, so I expect to plug myself in immediately that way. For her, she is thinking of joining Junior League. Does anyone have any suggestions on "getting involved" and "getting to know people?"

Do many people from the Springs travel to Denver area often for various things? Or do you find yourselves having your needs met by Springs?

Weekend escapes-Is it better getting to the mountains on a crowded powder weekend from COS rather than DEN? I feel like I-70 gets pretty packed sometimes, and maybe going up to say breckenridge from COS might be much more pleasant? Or am I just making that up?

Let's see, what else... I find Dallas to be a city full of incredibly rude people. I have lived here most of my life, and it is mostly becoming that way due to the incredible amount people moving to the area from all over the country-zero sense of community. In the Springs, generally speaking, how friendly are people? how outgoing and willing to meet new people?

Absolutely cannot wait for the weather. I have 'enjoyed' my last Dallas summer. I am a little weird perhaps about winter. I LOVE cold and snow (have lived in Alaska as well and loved it). How far must one travel west from the Springs to enjoy "quite a bit of snow" on the ground? as in, what are some good weekend travel spots within say 2 hours that I could count on quite a bit of snow during the winter.

I know that's a lot, and I know many of these questions have been addressed, but any help is appreciated..
thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 10:44 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,695,873 times
I can weigh in on the travel Denver question. As a Springs resident my entire life, I go to Denver once a year or less - there is nothing up there I need that I can't get here. The last few times I went, here is why I went: mom had never been to an IKEA and I had a day off of work and just wanted to do something different so we went up there to check out the IKEA and also stopped at a halal meat market for a halal Thanksgiving turkey since there aren't many halal markets (Muslim version of kosher) in Colorado Springs. The time before that we went to the Denver Museum of Natural History for an exhibit. Oh and it isn't Denver, but when Staunton State Park opened we went up to see it and that is marginally in the Denver area. And that's probably it for the past 3 years or so. Some people who like to pay a lot of money for concerts or national league sports or something might go up there more often than me. When I fly, I always fly out of Colorado Springs, but i know a lot of people fly out of DIA, so if you fly a lot, you might be going up there for that reason. Basically, you should rarely if ever need to go to Denver, but it might provide occasional variety to family outings or a slightly cheaper airline ticket (although for the extra 3-4 hours driving time and paying for parking etc. to/from cumulative, I don't think it is worth it personally).

I also think it is easier to get the mountains from COS than DEN. I think some of the more popular skiing resorts might be technically closer to DEN, but I-70 can be a bear.

People in the Springs I find to be genuinely friendly but not necessarily outgoing. People don't line up to insinuate themselves into your lives like they might in a small southern town. So you will have to put some effort into building friendships but people are nice here.

Snow is iffy always, it will be there, but where the big snows will be is a bit of a gamble. Generally speaking, look to where ski resorts are for bigger snow areas, and anywhere deep in the mountains.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:30 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,085,183 times
Monument is a nice area. You could also look east of there and be closer to Highway 83 which is probably a quicker commute to the north Penrose Hospital - maybe 20 minutes, though Monument commute would not be much more. I think I would avoid living much further north than Monument as the commute over Monument Hill can get ugly sometimes.

I drive to Denver for concerts (not much in concert venues here in the Springs), museums (we have a few here, more up there), and I go to DIA sometimes for better flights/fares that the COS airport. I drive up Hwy 83 to C470 to get to DIA - very easy drive and avoids the interstate.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM

651 posts, read 705,445 times
I like northern colorado springs on the west side. I even like just east of 25 on the north side as well.

Monument is fine, nothing bad about it.

Getting around the springs is pretty easy, so you can live wherever you want basically.

Weekend traffic to Denver can be bad during rush hour times. most other times its easier to get up there. Most everything can be met staying here in the city, especially if you are married

I like the springs area a lot and have been to Dallas. I think you are making the right move. People here are pretty laid back and easy going.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 PM

641 posts, read 1,956,398 times
It sounds like you have a really good plan for your move.

Certainly, you can live where ever you choose, but with your wife working at St. Francis hospital, there are great neighborhoods right around that area. The Briargate, Research Blvd area, Cordera, areas are just right around the hospital, and they are great, up-scale neighborhoods with a lot of shopping and amenities and conveniences all around.

Since you will working from home, I would rather live close to the hospital, so your wife will have no commute or a very short commute to and from work; especially is she has to work shifts.

It will be a real advantage in the winter not having a commute. Monument pass can get treacherous in the winter and it's not really that much closer to Denver; all the Denver stuff will still be as accessible.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM

20,325 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Ditto TerryTee on the Briargate area. I'm there and I like it a lot.

Lots of nice stuff along the Powers corridor just north of the Hospital. Use the map search on ppar.com to see what rentals are in that area. IIRC padmapper.com also has a map-based search area. I found at least 17 homes at $1600 or less in the area due north of PSF.

I would not make my wife drive btw Monument and PSF Hospital every day just to save a few minutes on the occasional trip to Denver. Monument is a higher elevation, gets more snow, and when it snows she'll hate you for the drive up Monument Hill to get home. Elevation often determines the "snow line" where above it is snow and below the line is rain.

You're gonna love it here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,301,009 times
Nobody's mentioned it yet but if shopping is a priority, you don't need to hit Denver for that, Castle Rock is some kind of outlet store mecca, it's not quite as far.

I would think twice about Monument unless you have a good alternative to I-25 for your commute to Penrose hospital. Almost every time I've driven I-25 through there (admittedly, not very often, maybe 5-10 times a year) there has been a significant traffic snarl in the region of Air Force Academy. If there is any place where you're likely to encounter traffic, big city style, which is rare here, it's going to be I-25 from about Briargate up to Monument Hill area. Just my opinion.

I do not think that you should try and park yourself in Monument in order to be closer to Denver, because your needs will be met here at least 90% of the time. You will go to Denver occasionally, in which event the small addition of distance/travel time won't matter much. Heck, people in the Springs have all of their typical needs met without even leaving their own side of town most of the time. I live on the far south side, and rarely go to the north or west sides of the city. You might look into the Briargate area or north Springs in general, you'll find plenty of services and stores and such, and the homes are nice up there, or perhaps on the other side of I-25 on the west side, which also has very nice homes.

I guess my point is...if you lived in Monument you could be adding at least 10-15 minutes (or more, with traffic) onto your daily commute to and from work, every single day...but you'd take of that same amount of time from the odd trip to Denver that you might make once or twice a month (if that.)

Oh, and you'll get at least a good taste of snow a few times every winter in most of the Springs but if you want to visit it on your own schedule, just head on up into the mountains...I have a friend who gets a pass and snowboards up at Keystone pretty much every weekend.

EDIT: In the time it took to type this, two posters said as much with wayyy fewer words. I really need to learn how to be concise.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,225 times
Wow! what great info in such a short period of time. It is all VERY much appreciated!!! What everyone is saying about Monument makes a lot of sense, and it seems a bit more clear now that I should be looking closer in to town. We are coming in a week or two to do some "scouting" and hopefully find a place, then moving by March most likely. Thanks to everyone so far. Can't explain how excited we are to be moving here.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM

641 posts, read 1,956,398 times
You'll love it!

Old 12-31-2013, 04:04 PM

9,824 posts, read 6,301,009 times
One caution: Be careful with the whole altitude thing, if you've never experienced it. It can surprise you! Drink lots of water, that helps tremendously. Do NOT be tempted to go to the top of Pikes Peak by any method for any reason while you visit. Also if your family or friends visit you once you've relocated, don't take them up there either! I took my inlaws up, they wanted to go, and they got sick from the altitude. It's something you need to adjust to gradually. I found that, as a smoker (I'm sure that didn't help!) for the first month or so after I moved here, if I tried to hop up my staircase in my house like normal, I'd be winded and fatigued and have to sit down and recover. The dry air can cause some sinus irritation at first too, even nose bleeds. So just be aware of those things, and that they do go away once you're acclimated. For most people (non smokers, I imagine) acclimation only takes a couple weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs