U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 AM

12 posts, read 19,741 times

Advertisements

Last week we signed the papers to have a house built in COS! Very exciting. Meeting with our real estate agent today to put our Maryland home on the market.

Our decision to move to COS is based on lower taxes than MD and lower utility costs. MD seems to raise utility costs every 6 months. 40 new taxes initiated in MD over the last 6 years.

CO is beautiful. We did a lot of research before deciding about this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 AM

599 posts, read 803,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmom48 View Post
Last week we signed the papers to have a house built in COS! Very exciting. Meeting with our real estate agent today to put our Maryland home on the market.

Our decision to move to COS is based on lower taxes than MD and lower utility costs. MD seems to raise utility costs every 6 months. 40 new taxes initiated in MD over the last 6 years.

CO is beautiful. We did a lot of research before deciding about this move.

States like MD have higher taxes because they provide more services to their citizens. Did you know COS closed many parks and even started shutting off streetlights to save money because of their budget issues?

Colorado has the TABOR law which limits the ability to raise taxes. Consequently, Colorado has taken to calling what would be called a "tax" in other states, a "fee" instead. For example, schools are so underfunded that a kid who is active in extra-curriculars will incur over $1000 in "fees" each year in many districts.

Did you know you will pay the highest license plate fees in the country to register your car here? A new car will have $1000 in license plate "fees".

Many recreation areas, like those near Boulder, now charge a "fee" to park.

I'm not arguing that overall COL is higher than MD, but I think eventually you will discover the many ways Colorado gets away with having low "taxes". There is no free lunch, not even in CO.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,705,458 times
Catmom, I'm concerned that you based your entire move on those factors from the sounds of it. They are definite positives, but show us some love for the weather and spectacular mountain views as well. Don't forget that you're getting out of gridlock

Coloradoalimony, I love several of your postings. I agree that Colorado has more "fees", but I don't mind them. At first that may sound like I'm just being stupid and misunderstanding two words that have the same meaning, but I'm not. It's a matter of how the fee (or tax) is imposed. Now it is being imposed as a cost for consuming something, rather than being pushed on people with no regard for their involvement in the consumption.

People who don't have money for new cars, don't have to pay the huge fees. Great, that means people can opt in or out of paying the fee by making an informed decision about buying a car.

The cost of extra curricular activities isn't forcibly handed off to families that are not participating. Great, now we don't ask Timmy "Would you like to have your neighbor pay for your fun activity?". I'm fine with that.

I'm not near Boulder, so I don't have to deal with those fees. Personally, I prefer having enough parking for everyone to park their car. When I find there is insufficient space to park, I cross the area off my list of places that I am interested in going. I lived in an area where parking was complete trash, and I have no interest in having that situation again. Boulder seems to like doing things that way and considers it "discouraging" the automobile. It discourages me from ever visiting there.

I moved here from a higher tax state, and I have legitimately saved more than I thought I would because I did not fully account for the lower cost of services. (Things like getting your hair cut are cheaper here)

Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 PM

409 posts, read 558,179 times
We also just moved here from Maryland. Lower property taxes are GREAT. The roads being left pretty much unplowed and untreated is not great, but we survive. (So far!)

We love the weather here. We arrived on July 1, and in our apartment, we didn't turn on the air conditioning a single time. Summer is amazing. Winter is much more intense, but much less grey and dreary than Maryland, and much more sparkling and sunny.

Our part of Maryland had mediocre schools. Our neighborhood in Colorado has a school I wouldn't trade for the world.

The view is amazing. The people are friendly. We've made some great friends already.

Welcome to Colorado. People ask us why we moved here from Maryland. I answer, "because wouldn't YOU?" Then they laugh and know exactly what I mean.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,322 times
Talking Movers

I also moved from ice cold, tax heavy, fee bridden state of Minnesota to Colo. Springs in 2001. It was a complete pleasure not have to participate in paying for aFootball stadium I never went to, Baseball park, and any other pro sports forums, in Colo. Springs! The then owner of the Skysox built his own facililty!! What!! Please tell Mn. residents! Wow ,what a deal. Then factor in the weather, lower realestate taxes, license fees, and I"m in. If my 1st wife had'nt passed away, i'd still be there. Now after that I remarried and we are again going to visit Colorado in spring withthe intention of moving there. Its been a 10 year space I should never had...wish i stayed, but no family there,sobest to go home for awhile...See you all soon!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM

9,757 posts, read 6,277,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post

I'm not near Boulder, so I don't have to deal with those fees. Personally, I prefer having enough parking for everyone to park their car. When I find there is insufficient space to park, I cross the area off my list of places that I am interested in going. I lived in an area where parking was complete trash, and I have no interest in having that situation again. Boulder seems to like doing things that way and considers it "discouraging" the automobile. It discourages me from ever visiting there.
I couldn't agree more about the parking. Gotta say, I prefer a city with tons of paid parking, give me those kiosks that take credit cards and I'm thrilled...rather have plentiful paid parking than scarce free parking. But that's my perspective as a tourist or visitor, not as a regular resident or employee. I'd like to hope they've some kind of special arrangement like a monthly city parking pass that's cheaper for those folks.

In Richmond, VA when I visited last summer, most of the "Fan" neighborhood, which is an old college area, had very strict and scarce free parking. You literally had to move your car after an hour or two (depending on the signage, which was confusing in places and difficult to plan around) or you'd be towed. Tell me how that works if you're attending an event that goes all night... The point is to allow all of the residents and college students access to parking, but I saw plenty of college lots that were empty during the evening hours that could have been repurposed to paid after-hours parking. I'd have paid $10 to park if I knew I didn't have to worry about being towed.

Portland on the other hand, has little lots of paid parking tucked around and behind almost every building downtown. I never had a hard time finding parking in Portland, and the city got my money when I did. I too think that making it hard to park discourages tourism more than it discourages the automobile. I hear people trying to get into Voodoo Doughnut up in Denver are having a time of it. Tow trucks circling all the time looking for violators in local lots. It's a shame. Just put a pay kiosk on those lots and TAKE MY MONEY! lol

Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM

641 posts, read 1,955,045 times
The city of Colorado Springs did cut off street lights and closed restrooms at parks, and limited some services, but those measures were means to an end.

It was to make up for city budget mismanagement/shortfall, that was then put to the citizens to solve. (via higher taxes).

It was voted down overwhelmingly, so the city had to deal with their own budget issues, just like any family would.

There were stories in the national media about how the city would fall to ruin and chaos. It didn't.

And the good news is, that the measures worked. The street lights are all back on, the park restrooms are open (the parks weren't closed), and the city didn't not turn into a post-apocolyptic wasteland.

I'm proud that the city didn't need a "bailout" by the citizens, and instead buckled down and dealt with the problem.

Wish our government would do the same.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,705,458 times
Interesting Sonic. I attended school in Portland and for years could not find parking. Granted, if I had a parking pass for a structure, I would've been able to find it. I was looking for hourly parking though, and it often took 20 to 30 minutes to find a spot.

I like an abundance of free parking, rather than scarce free parking or an abundance of over-priced parking by a city creating a artificial shortage to jack up prices.

Fortunately, the North Side of CS has an abundance of free parking, and it is heavenly to me.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM

421 posts, read 885,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
We also just moved here from Maryland. Lower property taxes are GREAT. The roads being left pretty much unplowed and untreated is not great, but we survive. (So far!)

We love the weather here. We arrived on July 1, and in our apartment, we didn't turn on the air conditioning a single time. Summer is amazing. Winter is much more intense, but much less grey and dreary than Maryland, and much more sparkling and sunny.

Our part of Maryland had mediocre schools. Our neighborhood in Colorado has a school I wouldn't trade for the world.

The view is amazing. The people are friendly. We've made some great friends already.

Welcome to Colorado. People ask us why we moved here from Maryland. I answer, "because wouldn't YOU?" Then they laugh and know exactly what I mean.
You do realize there are people that move OUT of Colorado, myself included. Actually I moved back to Maryland and couldn't be happier. I'm not sure about your claim regarding air conditioning. I lived in Boulder for 6 years and had the air conditioning running from June through September, especially when you had weeks on end in the 90's sometimes in the 100s. I always added 10 degrees to the actual temperature because of the altitude. I could only walk my dog in the very early morning or in the evening because it was too damn hot during most of the summer during the daytime.

I missed the rain we have in Maryland and it is not true that Colorado has 4 seasons. Maybe a few weeks of spring and a few weeks of fall then six months of winter, whereas in Maryland we have only three actual months of winter. The people where I live in Frederick are much nicer than the majority of people I met in Boulder.

The mountains are certainly beautiful but they lose their appeal when there are so many other things (to me) that are negative about living in Colorado. Once I moved to Boulder I had respiratory issues the entire time I was there that are now resolved upon moving back to Maryland. My wife reduced her migraines from 10 per month in Colorado to 3 per month in Maryland.

The grass is not always greener. Maybe for some people Colorado is great but it is NOT for everyone.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,486,092 times
Why buy new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs