U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM

482 posts, read 927,948 times

Advertisements

I've enjoyed following this thread. I'll admit that when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's (and this was on the Western Slope, mind you) I always heard what a dumpy city Pueblo was. The only reason to go there, according to my agricultural upbringing, was for the state fair. My parents shunned Pueblo because it was too industrial and then too depressed. When I moved to Colorado Springs, Pueblo was/is snubbed out of pure snobbery. I admit, I avoided Pueblo for a long time because of the mentality toward the city wherever I lived at the time.

I owe Pueblo an apology for that. It actually took some friends that moved to the Springs from out of state to give me a new perspective as of late. They have visited Pueblo since coming to the state and told me they don't understand the animosity toward the city. I figured I should actually give Pueblo a chance and spend some time there. I like it. A lot. I let my prejudices deter me for too long without giving the city a fair chance and have found myself not only making weekend trips to Pueblo more and more but exploring the job and housing markets for when I get tired enough of the Springs to make a move.

Pueblo, I was wrong about you. Many people are in Colorado. It's a beautiful, welcoming city with a lot of recreation opportunities. On the bright side, I avoided it for so long it's like a new playground for me in a state I thought I knew better than I now realize I do. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
I've enjoyed following this thread. I'll admit that when I was growing up in the 80's and 90's (and this was on the Western Slope, mind you) I always heard what a dumpy city Pueblo was. The only reason to go there, according to my agricultural upbringing, was for the state fair. My parents shunned Pueblo because it was too industrial and then too depressed. When I moved to Colorado Springs, Pueblo was/is snubbed out of pure snobbery. I admit, I avoided Pueblo for a long time because of the mentality toward the city wherever I lived at the time.

I owe Pueblo an apology for that. It actually took some friends that moved to the Springs from out of state to give me a new perspective as of late. They have visited Pueblo since coming to the state and told me they don't understand the animosity toward the city. I figured I should actually give Pueblo a chance and spend some time there. I like it. A lot. I let my prejudices deter me for too long without giving the city a fair chance and have found myself not only making weekend trips to Pueblo more and more but exploring the job and housing markets for when I get tired enough of the Springs to make a move.

Pueblo, I was wrong about you. Many people are in Colorado. It's a beautiful, welcoming city with a lot of recreation opportunities. On the bright side, I avoided it for so long it's like a new playground for me in a state I thought I knew better than I now realize I do. :-)
I am glad you like Pueblo. What you described explains why I feel the way I do about other parts of the state as I have always had to defend Pueblo and why I love living here especially when I went to Colorado Springs and Denver.

If you have any questions about Pueblo feel free to ask...

Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am glad you like Pueblo. What you described explains why I feel the way I do about other parts of the state as I have always had to defend Pueblo and why I love living here especially when I went to Colorado Springs and Denver.

If you have any questions about Pueblo feel free to ask...
I understand what you mean. I should have known better than to pre-judge Pueblo. I've lived in rural towns in Colorado that neighboring towns looked down their noses at. Victor and Hotchkiss are prime examples. It's why I've taken out-of-state friend's heeds and stopped ignoring Pueblo based on bias.

I do have a question for you: What is the best route for a job search in Pueblo? I've noticed that craigslist and the Chieftan's ads are lacking in advertising. To be more specific, I work in restaurant management. Based on the lack of basic media advertising, I'm guessing that door-knocking (in-person) applying is the best route and then waiting and seeing. Is there a method I'm missing?

Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I understand what you mean. I should have known better than to pre-judge Pueblo. I've lived in rural towns in Colorado that neighboring towns looked down their noses at. Victor and Hotchkiss are prime examples. It's why I've taken out-of-state friend's heeds and stopped ignoring Pueblo based on bias.
Thanks and I am glad you spent the time to come visit Pueblo.

Quote:
I do have a question for you: What is the best route for a job search in Pueblo? I've noticed that craigslist and the Chieftan's ads are lacking in advertising. To be more specific, I work in restaurant management. Based on the lack of basic media advertising, I'm guessing that door-knocking (in-person) applying is the best route and then waiting and seeing. Is there a method I'm missing?
I will be honest finding a job in this town is not easy why I am always backing projects to get more jobs here. A big problem Pueblo faces is technological unemployment as some of the large employers do not employ the numbers of people they use to. For example the steel mill once employed over 10,000 people in the 1950's and today they are planning a $830 million expansion yet only employ over 1,000 people because of technology. The same is true at the Target DC where robots do a lot of the work people use to. This is just two examples and I go into more detail on the science and technology thread. Now if you have restaurant management experience it will be easier for you to find a job as Pueblo has a lot of restaurants for a city of our size because we are the largest metro area in 20 counties with a population of over 400,000 people and most come here to shop and dine out. Honestly I have never looked for a job in that area but my guess would be to start at the workforce center in downtown Pueblo or just apply in person. If you want me to get more specific and even telling you what i do, it might help you, send me a DM as that is not information i want to put out in a public forum.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM

11 posts, read 29,320 times
I never got a negative feeling about Pueblo, everyone felt very friendly to me, and I found it a great place to stay. Hope to fly out there soon, so I can really delve into both places, the weather was not kind on this trip, and my wife got sick and ended up in an er(she is ok, possible gall bladder issue), my son got a bad cold. Just ended up fouling the works up on the trip bad. But the experience there was nice, didnt get to try one of the Pueblo Sloppers though unfortunately.

I'm a pale white, red head, libertarian leaning conservative and I don't give a darn if you are gay, straight, black, white, brown, liberal, libertarian, conservative, etc......and I got a feeling that in both places Id fit in just fine. Never got any sense of any animosity from anyone.

Again though I really do want to head back up there and delve into the culture more, a road trip shant happen again, that was entirely too much driving coming all the way from Virginia LOL. Will fly in the next time, hopefully spend a week or two firmly there and getting a real sense of both Pueblo and COS. Looking like it might take me a little longer to get out there and live, want to be in a better place financially before I make that big move. But my lord, you all have a wonderful state there. Never seen such beauty.....Pueblo was great, more my size, Colorado Springs was gorgeous, but kinda felt disjointed, like a bunch of suburbs, not that that made it horrible, was a wonderful town overall. Even got into Trinidad for a bit on the drive back, and that was a cool, quaint little town as well.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help, will probably be shooting more questions your way in time as I prepare for the second journey out there, which I would love to be able to do latter this summer.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdove72 View Post
I never got a negative feeling about Pueblo, everyone felt very friendly to me, and I found it a great place to stay.
I agree. I moved to Pueblo just about two moths ago and love it here.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM

I got a chance to escape the Springs this past weekend and explore Pueblo some more. I'll reiterate what I said before; I was wrong about Pueblo! I am a big history and historical architecture buff and Pueblo is an absolute jewel in these regards. I spent most of a day just admiring the beautiful old buildings. Got to check out the Rosemount and El Pueblo museums and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I'm curious about something: I tooled around east Pueblo for a bit and noticed (both in person and on previous city-data threads) that it is the poorer side of town. The general consensus seems that it's also the higher crime part of Pueblo. What I'm wondering is if it's actually any worse than, say, the South Nevada or Hancock and Academy areas of Colorado Springs? East Pueblo certainly has a flair of it's own, but I kind of liked that about it. The gritty, somewhat run-down feel to it didn't put me off but rather endeared itself to me. I realize that it's not a "desirable" part of Pueblo but I left with the impression of a working class community that, besides a few trouble makers (which exist anywhere), that seems fairly close-knit. Not the hotbed of crime the news in the Springs makes it out to be.

Anyway, I had fun exploring new territory in my own backyard and I'll be in Pueblo to see more soon.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM

I am glad you enjoyed Pueblo and you are correct Pueblo has a huge variety of architectural styles that date from the 1800's till today. Even some great examples of the back to work program during the great depression.

You make a good point about the "lower east side". Yes its not the best area and I usually tell people new to Pueblo to avoid living there but keep things in perspective. Its bad in Pueblo and compared to bad areas in larger cities like Denver or New Orleans its not even close. My boyfriend lived there for a while and he liked it and I was over there almost every night and never had a issue. In fact I like the urban feel of it. Now would I live there? No but I can see why people do.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:47 PM

^ It wasn't just the architecture but the vibrant history of Pueblo I enjoyed delving into. I never knew it was originally four cities that merged in the late 1800's but driving around that made sense since there is more than one historic business district. Not many cities can say they have that.

The urban feel to the east side is what I liked. It reminds me of my favorite Colorado Springs neighborhood, Ivywild. Ivywild gets some poor ratings too, but it's a neat old neighborhood with a lot of character. Kind of an entity of it's own, with it's problems, but a sense of community. That's what East Pueblo felt like. Thanks for the cool perspective on East Pueblo!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
^ It wasn't just the architecture but the vibrant history of Pueblo I enjoyed delving into. I never knew it was originally four cities that merged in the late 1800's but driving around that made sense since there is more than one historic business district. Not many cities can say they have that.
Good point. To be honest I don't think about having 4 historic business districts as being unique because for me its normal.

One bit of trivia is the main library is located in one of the historic areas called the junction. Its called the junction because back when Pueblo had trolley cars it was the junction of all the lines. Most Puebloans do not know this today and do not know why the area is called the junction.

Quote:
The urban feel to the east side is what I liked. It reminds me of my favorite Colorado Springs neighborhood, Ivywild. Ivywild gets some poor ratings too, but it's a neat old neighborhood with a lot of character. Kind of an entity of it's own, with it's problems, but a sense of community. That's what East Pueblo felt like. Thanks for the cool perspective on East Pueblo!
Pueblo has a few nice historic areas. One just north of downtown that was rated as the best historic area in the state and one of the best in the nation. Another one is on the south side just west of the junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs