U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:04 PM

482 posts, read 927,948 times

Advertisements

I got to explore a bit of the area north of downtown. Beautiful old houses. One thing I like about the aesthetics of Pueblo is the lack of suburban sprawl. I would rather live in one of the historic districts, which have character, than in a strip mall, cookie cutter mess like so much of the Springs has become. Finding a neighborhood I like in Colorado Springs offers pretty limited options. They're much more abundant in Pueblo. Pueblo is definitely growing on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:54 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
I got to explore a bit of the area north of downtown. Beautiful old houses. One thing I like about the aesthetics of Pueblo is the lack of suburban sprawl. I would rather live in one of the historic districts, which have character, than in a strip mall, cookie cutter mess like so much of the Springs has become. Finding a neighborhood I like in Colorado Springs offers pretty limited options. They're much more abundant in Pueblo. Pueblo is definitely growing on me.
There will always be some sprawl I just think Colorado Springs has gone excessive with sprawl.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 927 times
Default Best and Worst of The Springs

I am also planning to move to Colorado Springs (CS), "The Springs", as it's known by some residents, and have lived there in the past. From my experience I can tell you something about the areas around the city. The exact middle of town is at the intersection of Cascade and Boulder, this separates north from south and east from west. There are statues everywhere downtown, but the biggest is of General Palmer, in the center of the intersection of Nevada and Platt (I think), who founded the town as a resort and a place to relieve the pains of tuberculosis, since the air is so dry. There are 3 main streets downtown, Nevada, Taejon, and Wasatch. This is the business and retail center of downtown. It also has the office of " Dog, the bounty hunter". This is called the Central district. About a mile or two east of there is Peterson AFB and the newer shopping strip on Powers Blvd, a mile south is Fort Carson and 5 miles north is the Air Force Academy. The Powers area houses all the big box stores and restaurants like Sears, Sam's Club, Bass Outlet, Marie Calendar's, Chevy's, etc. Toward the north about 5 miles is the Air Force Academy where there are a lot of upscale homes, restaurants, stores and hotels and a just east of there is the Black Forest. This is not really a black forest, but an area of small ranches. South West of Central is the Broadmoor Hotel, which is world famous and is in some rolling foothills , called the Broadmoor area, just under the Cheyanne Mountain with upscale homes, condos and gated golf course communities. Another few miles down I-25 and you're in Fountain. A small flat town housing a lot of military since it is close to Fort Carson. Then, at the base of Pikes Peak, towering 14,156 ft. above sea level and the birth of the national anthem, there is my favorite area, Old Colorado City, (OCC). Just 5 miles west of CS, it has an atmosphere of the past and how it was in a small town then, with a park in the middle of town that hosts holiday town parties and parades, lined with old time candy stores, restaurants, antique shops, lock smiths, bicycle shops and small Victorian homes from the 1800's that have been restored. West Colorado Blvd. is the main street through OCC and that is parallel to HWY-24 which, if continued upon for about 15 miles, will take you past Manitou Springs, Green Valley springs and then to Woodland Park at 8500 ft. elevation. This is also the road to start the climb to the top of Pikes Peak.

I hope this will give you a little incite into the area.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 PM

420 posts, read 1,010,332 times
While mostly tending towards accurate, 1) your distances are off in most of your examples, and 2) Boulder is an odd-choice for your east/west centering. Cascade, yes; but either Platte or Pikes Peak makes more sense as the east/west dividing line imo.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,977,700 times
Correct. Pikes Peak & Cascade are effectively 00-00 or from a block perspective, the true center of town.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM

21 posts, read 53,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogon View Post
While mostly tending towards accurate, 1) your distances are off in most of your examples, and 2) Boulder is an odd-choice for your east/west centering. Cascade, yes; but either Platte or Pikes Peak makes more sense as the east/west dividing line imo.
Where are you basing your information on? The Springs runs from Manitou Springs to Falcon/Peyton and from Security-Widefield to Monument. Some areas of Blackforest and Gleneagle still have a Springs mailing address. That being said, the geographic center would be approx at where Fillmore turns into Circle or slightly nearer Academy.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
There is an official center of the city/downtown, of course - as Kar54 stated.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 AM

808 posts, read 1,175,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Correct. Pikes Peak & Cascade are effectively 00-00 or from a block perspective, the true center of town.
I work downtown and live in the SW part of town and rarely leave that area ... however I'd generally observe that the large majority of population growth in COS over the last several decades has occurred in to the north and east (Briargate, Powers, etc.), probably shifting the "center" of town to something like the intersection of Austin Bluffs and Union.

As for downtown COS, yes Pikes Peak & Cascade are the zero blocks for addresses, probably determined over 100 years ago. The fact that 80% (or whatever) of the population growth over the last few decades have gone far north and far east of downtown tilts the "center" of town up and out that direction a bit, at least according to my geographic sense. Its all semantics I guess.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:45 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,977,700 times
Very true. Like most all cities, that location cannot be considered as the "population center" of the area. Just as Broadway and Ellsworth is considered 00-00 block or the "official" center of Metro Denver. I know of no city that has grown as a geometric ring outward from its original core.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:40 AM

808 posts, read 1,175,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Very true. Like most all cities, that location cannot be considered as the "population center" of the area. Just as Broadway and Ellsworth is considered 00-00 block or the "official" center of Metro Denver. I know of no city that has grown as a geometric ring outward from its original core.
Especially a city like Colorado Springs with its original core situated so close to a geographic feature (like a mountain or an ocean), as the city grows from 50K to 500K over a period of decades it will obviously grow in the direction buildable space is available. In the case of COS, we've got a mountain to the west and a vast military base to the south. Hence, to the north and east they merrily build and the original downtown becomes less and less "central." As usual, I master the obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs