U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:07 AM

11 posts, read 29,318 times

Advertisements

Will be uprooting my family from Winchester, VA to the state of Colorado probably sometime this year. I have preferred Pueblo, due primarily to COL and location. I prefer the drier and warmer climate of Pueblo, and my desire is to live there, enjoying the very low property values and perhaps getting a better job, knowing that the job market in Pueblo is not the greatest from reading here, in Colorado Springs and commuting. My wife seems to be interested in cutting Pueblo out of the equation and simply living in Colorado Springs. So basically my question is, is which is the most viable way of operating, living in Pueblo and commuting to CS, or just cutting the middle man out and living and working in CS. I will be sole set income in this decision, and its just my wife and my two year old son. Any thoughts on this would be of great help to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Any rent money saved by living in Pueblo will be consumed by commuting costs.

Colo Spgs is much larger with a correspondingly larger job market.

Look at padmapper.com for rentals in both areas. Renting is advised the first year until one learns the area and job issues get sorted out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
Consider Fountain or Pueblo West perhaps, or Penrose or Canon City etc. But if you're going to be working in COS, I wouldn't recommend living in Pueblo - but Fountain, yes.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:21 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,483,318 times
I don't think Pueblo is any drier than COS and it certainly can be warmer in the summer, but often it is colder in the winter. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 29,318 times
Thank you for the quick replies. Looks like we are going to change speed and look for living arrangements up in Colorado Springs or the nearby area. Looking at Google Earth it looks like Colorado Springs seems like a bunch of separate little communities hooked together. Is that what its like, or is there a real sense of community there???? My wife has really fallen in love with it just by doing searches on the internet.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:48 PM
gn3

147 posts, read 358,311 times
Save your sanity and live where you work -whether it be Pueblo or Colorado Springs. I doubt you'd come ahead when you factor in commuting costs, and while Pueblo is indeed inexpensive, Colorado Springs has an average or slightly below average COL itself; it's not going to break the bank to live here.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:54 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,921,379 times
There are smaller areas of the town and each area has its own flavor with its own community feel. It definitely isn't like Virginia. Imagine if Richmond, Short Pump, and the other surrounding areas were one big city, that is what Colorado Springs is like. It is almost 200 square miles where Winchester is almost 10sq miles.

It is a great place to live. I grew up in CT, and lived near Petersburg, VA for three years (Fort Lee).

Old 01-04-2014, 08:34 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,483,318 times
There are some communities, but most Colorado Springs is a giant suburb. Most community-like that I am familiar with:
Old Colorado City, Downtown, Old North End, Ivywilde.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Any rent money saved by living in Pueblo will be consumed by commuting costs.

Colo Spgs is much larger with a correspondingly larger job market.

Look at padmapper.com for rentals in both areas. Renting is advised the first year until one learns the area and job issues get sorted out.
QFT. Mike got to this first and nailed it.

If you are going to live in Pueblo and take advantage of the low cost of living, you need to be either working there or retired.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 AM

727 posts, read 1,134,823 times
cdove - Welcome to Colorado. Another NoVA expat (we moved here from Fredericksburg, but spent most of our 28 years in NoVA in the Alexandria area). You'll find a number of us on this forum. Commuting to and from COS/Pueblo is relative in comparison to what you may be used to. If you commuted to DC from Winchester, then the COS/Pueblo commute would be a breeze. However, if you lived and worked in Winchester, which is a small town in comparison to the COS area, then you'd find it more of an issue. Agree with Mike (also a NoVa expat) that COS is probably a better job market if for no other reason that it's much larger. When we came to COS while we were scouting for areas to settle, we also looked at Pueblo. While there were aspects of Pueblo that appealed to us, we felt the larger community in COS had more to offer, but that's a very personal decision with lots of different factors to consider. My suggestion would be to draw up a list of the things that are really important to you, including deal breakers, and then come out and visit the area, spending a few days looking at the communities as potential places to live (rather than doing touristy things) and seeing whether they hit your list of priorities. Whether you can afford to do this or not, and you come out without a "scouting" trip, most folks on the forum will suggest you rent for a year before buying. During that time you'll have time to really research that priority list and hopefully make an informed decision on what area is right for you. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs