U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is exactly what it sounds like. I would like to rent a rabbit. At the state fair I regularly see them for sale for 10 to 20 bucks, so I assume rentals wouldn't cost any more than buying them. I don't need to buy a rabbit, but I would really like to rent one for my wife's birthday in February.

So, does anyone know of a rabbit farm where I could rent one? I'm happy to pay the normal sales price of 10 to 20, I would just like to be able to return it to a loving home/farm after her birthday.

Any ideas where I should go? I would prefer somewhere on the Northside for gas savings.

The ideal rabbit:
1. likes people / being held
2. Is available for a one day rental
3. Comes from a place I can be happy to return it to (no rabbit-mills, if those exist. I despise puppy-mills.)

Open to most breeds of rabbit

Thanks

PS. If anyone has a rabbit they would like to loan out, that would work also. It is not required that the rabbit come from a farm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,081,271 times
You are so creative for your wife's birthday! What if she wants to keep it?

Old 01-09-2014, 01:32 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,740,923 times
We got our daughters rabbits for Easter when they were 8 and 11. They still had them when they each left for college. They're so darned cute and litter box trained!!! But, they chew. They severed electrical cords, computer cords, phone cords, DSL cords; chewed chair legs, carpet, wood moulding, you name it....We got them big sticks to sharpen their teeth on, and they made wonderful pets! You might consider what will happen when she falls in love with a cute, cuddwy wabbit!

Old 01-09-2014, 04:40 AM

830 posts, read 910,083 times
I believe you can take pets back at petco etc.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,350,694 times
Would it be out of the question to just keep it for a little while and then eat it? ...Double-surprise!?!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,704,040 times
I don't think she would insist on keeping it, but if she did, I'd rather be supporting a locally owned and ethically ran bunny farm. Of course, if I borrowed a pet from someone, I would need to be getting her a different one to keep. I really doubt that will be an issue.

I'd really like a farm that would be available early in the morning. Not sure what the Petco hours are, but I'd love to sneak out at first daylight to get the rabbit so I could place it in our bedroom before she woke up. Having a "wild bunny" appear would give her a fun surprise and be great for a video.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

9,744 posts, read 6,273,073 times
The only suggestion I have, is to look for rabbits on petfinder.com locally, and then contact the rescues that are trying to adopt them and ask if you can foster one short term. I would not even go to them asking for a one day rental, but perhaps a foster situation would work.

There is a thread in the CD cat forum complaining about hyper-vigilant rescues refusing to adopt out pets to people that they considered unsuitable for a variety of (sometimes outrageous) reasons, so believe it or not you may have to think about how you come across to a rescue.

But fostering a homeless animal for a while would be such a nice thing to do, wouldn't it? And I know that some of the shelters & rescues in town have bunnies needing homes.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM

575 posts, read 669,459 times
The Pikes Peak Humane Society always has rabbits as well that could use adopting or fostering. Not sure about borrowing though.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,350,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
The Pikes Peak Humane Society always has rabbits as well that could use adopting or fostering. Not sure about borrowing though.
My family in Hawaii wanted to get bunnies for their kids and went all over the island looking for one in a humane shelter but could find none. Turns out Hawaiians like them as a cheap source of food. They had to order one from the local pet store. That's why I wasn't really kidding when I asked if eating it afterwards was a possibility. Because rescuing a bunny, enjoying it for a bit, giving it a humane death, and then putting it to good use is ethical enough, IMO, but maybe pretty unsettling for a lot of folks.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM

575 posts, read 669,459 times
I had rabbit to eat a few times as a kid, can't remember if I liked it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs