U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,101 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My fiancé and I (both in our early 30's) are moving to Colorado Springs in May and we're wondering what locations in and around town we should look at to rent. We were thinking about Manitou Springs since it's closer to the mountains but we don't want to pay crazy rent. Basically we don't know a whole lot about Colorado Springs other than the fact that it seems clean and beautiful and has a ton of military bases. Does Colorado Springs have a ghetto? Any places we should stay away from?
I'll be starting an education licensure program and my boyfriend will be finishing his degree in chemistry. How's the job market there in those fields?
Thanks in advance, we're both over the moon excited about getting out of Louisiana and into a beautiful place like Colorado Springs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
No ghetto here. Least nice place is the S.E. part of town.

Manitou is excellent and funky; just east of it is Old Colorado City with a similar vibe (aka OCC, a searchable term in this forum).

Is he attending UCCS or Colorado College?

Padmapper.com for rentals.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,101 times
Thanks for the info! He'll be going to UCCS.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Good places to live are all around UCCS, which is at 1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway.

One good option that backs up to the foothills are the areas up along Centennial Blvd aka Rockrimmon. Here's a sample of what's up there. From there he'd take Centennial to Garden of the Gods Rd, which becomes Austin Bluffs Pkwy after it crosses Nevada Ave. It's nice up there, but there are fine places very close to UCCS.

Funny thing though, living along those foothills can actually block the views of the larger mountains, which are better a bit further to the east.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM

50 posts, read 60,904 times
You can't really go wrong on the west side if you want to be close to the mountains. As the above poster said, it almost matters whether you prefer to "see" them better or have quicker access "to" the mountains as for your location. But anywhere from Manitou Springs up the west side to UCCS are good places to check out.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM

67 posts, read 73,365 times
Default Monument rentals

I know you probably want to be close to the campus of UCCS, but apartment rent has really gone up since many people lost their homes in two wildfires in our area. One of my sons rented a three bedroom, two bath duplex with garage in Monument, Colorado which is a bedroom community of Colorado Springs. The duplex had a fenced back yard for his dog and rented for $900 a month. Small apartments in Colorado Springs are going for $600 and up. Monument is it's own little town with post office and many stores including a Safeway, Walgreens, and Starbucks. the town has nice views of the mountain range and because it is right off interstate 25 it is easy to go to Denver or the ski areas. It is also a straight shot south down the interstate to Austin Bluffs where you exit to go to UCCS. Just thought I would bring this up as an alternative and you could always find a roommate to share the rent in a three bedroom. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,702,524 times
Rent largely flows with house nice the properties are, but the saying "you get what you pay for" isn't always true. It's true that you rarely get more than you pay for, but if you're not alert, you can certainly get vastly less. I don't know much about the chemistry market. I've heard teaching positions vary by specialty. There are always highly qualified teachers unable to find work, and schools complaining that they can not find teachers. The quantity of fields seems to be the issue.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:26 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
What are you getting your licensure in - elementary, secondary, math, social studies, etc? There is lots of demand for math teachers, quite a bit for foreign language and science, less so for things like social studies.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM

11 posts, read 17,793 times
Hats off to another Who Dat in the area! I'll be up there this summer. When I visited COS 6 or 7 years ago I met quite a few people who relocated from Louisiana and particularly New Orleans.

One day we were driving and I saw a random skyrail so we stopped and as we were talking to the worker he was from New Orleans and his daughter worked a few miles from my house. Another day we were going to eat at Stagecoach I believe and as I got out of the car to take pictures of a herd of elk walking down the road a gentleman came out of his house to chat and he was from Covington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs