U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,247 times

Advertisements

Stetson Hills area is wonderful...NE of Carefree and Powers...Moved here a year ago from North Carolina. We have 7 kids of varied ages and everyone is loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,332,661 times
I just checked ppar.com and there are a couple of the little ranch houses for about $900/month down in Security Widefield, which is school district 3. When it comes to Security Widefield I do recommend it for people on a tight budget, because you seem to get more house for your buck down there. I live there. We've got a nice community center and the schools are pretty decent, excellent if kids wind up doing band or orchestra. They've got some of the better music programs in the state.

There was one listing in the school district D3 search which was in Stratmoore Hills I think, ignore that...I don't see how that even made it into the search, I'm pretty sure it's not even in our district.

The little ranch homes in Security-Widefield are lower rent, not ghetto. The areas are diverse and working class but not dangerous. The bigger houses going for $1100+ are in the newer and downright nice areas. I think that as a place to start out renting, you could do worse than a little rancher down in Security-Widefield, and I'd rather have a small house with a bit of yard than live in an apartment building. Just do keep in mind that utilities are more likely to be fully or partially included with apartments.

I would not necessarily recommend the apartments down in Security Widefield though. I think that for the money, an apartment can be found in a different part of town, like up Powers or something, that is better.

Those who advised to stay out of D2 are correct, and parts of D11 feeding into Mitchell. Also avoid B Street.

If you have any specific listings you believe you may be interested in, feel free to tell us "it's near the intersection of this and that street" and we will be happy to give our impressions of the area.

Also, Colorado Springs does NOT have a real ghetto. Not really. A few areas come close, like the southmost point of Loomis St near B St. but it isn't like how bigger cities have ghettos...even the part of town most folks think is the worst (SE region north of Security Widefield next to the airport) has houses, like actual single family homes, not crumbling tenements, and I know people who are content to live within that area. *shrug*

Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 PM

116 posts, read 326,267 times
We also are starting to consider Springs, but we have no children to factor in. Two middle-aged adults, I work at home over internet, so looking for a decent and quiet area for arrival June 1. We would want an apartment or a small house, nothing extravagant.

I will be watching this thread also, and if anyone has property to rent please do contact me by private message to discuss.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 PM

727 posts, read 1,138,108 times
Scarlett - As you've seen from the posts, a lot of us like the downtown area (Old North End, where we live), along with Shooks Run and the Patty Jewett neighborhoods (they're all kind of adjacent to each other around the center core to the east of I-25. Lots of small older bungalows. My wife and I also have no kids and work from home and we really appreciate the proximity to everything downtown. Suggest you avoid the area immediately surrounding Colorado College, as rentals there are typicallyfor students, with a lot of partying. House rentals do come available but you have to act fast (at least in Old North End). If you're in the market for apartments, there's a large complex called the Oasis near the Coronado High School (the Rockrimmon area of town to the west of I-25 near Mesa Road. Others have recommended it. It's quite large so there are probably plenty of vacancies. There is at least one other large apartment complex in that same area on Centennial (can't recall the name). We were never in the market for apartments when we moved here three years ago, so I can't recommend from personal experience. My guess is they're a bit pricey, but they're in a very nice area of town and look great from the street. There's also a new apartment complex being built near UCCS (visible from I-25 just south of Woodmen on the frontage road). It's called The Lodges. It's still being built, but my guess is it'll be about ready by June.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:51 AM

116 posts, read 326,267 times
This is extremely helpful, thank you very much Carrera32, and the type of information I'm looking for. I also recently found out that Springs is twice as big (and change) as Madison, of which I had no idea! And bigger than Denver, mind you (not by much). I've looked on line for apartments and was wondering last night, good grief, were there even any decent places in the Springs area. I think I will try to call some property agents today and see if they have any good leads, continue the search.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 AM

727 posts, read 1,138,108 times
Scarlett: Most posters will also advise against the southeast section of town (around Fountain Boulevard), though we've some folks who live in that area and consider it to be just fine. There are a bunch of apartment buildings in that area, so just be aware and make sure the area falls into your comfort zone before committing in that area. Note that Fountain Blvd in Colorado Springs is different than the town of Fountain (which is located about 7 miles south of town). The town of Fountain is often recommended as an option.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 AM

9,871 posts, read 6,332,661 times
Although if one has no kids, one might find housing in the SE part of town that might be acceptable (I've observed that there can be wee tiny pockets of nice smack in the middle of not-so-nice, and vice versa, in this town) if you are looking for quiet, safe, enjoyable housing I'll hop on board with what Carrera32 had to say about the older cute bungalow houses closer to downtown and ONEN and Patty Jewett. We wanted more space for our family so we couldn't really consider those, but when I was house-hunting I dreamily looked at the cute character of some of those places. Looks walkable and just...lovely.

I would NOT consider apartments in the SE side of town, unless you're used to living rough. I'm not saying you'll get gunned down on the sidewalk, but you're going to have loud neighbor drama, people screaming at each other at 1AM outside, your car could get broken into...that kind of mess. I just wouldn't deal with it. I consider the boundaries of that zone to be approximately Union to the west, Powers to the east, Milton Proby to the south and Constitution to the north. In that whole zone, I'd consider the occasional single family home if you look on Google street view and the landscaping of the yards on that street looks nice (no chainlink fences, trash in yards, or scrubby dirt/grass...but actually attractive landscaping) but NO apartments.

For apartments, some of the west side and north and maybe some things around Powers would be good. But I have a friend in an apartment near Powers & Stetson Hills Blvd and it's a big complex full of crazy loud people. She is not happy there. So not everything on the Powers corridor is great either.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,721,413 times
I'd agree with sonic's boundaries, but I would be very hard pressed to consider even the occasional single family home. I have no kids, but I have a pretty wife. I don't really want her living in that area.

I think I know which complex Sonic is talking about, but there are a few that could qualify.

If you have a ton of money to blow and want to live downtown, by all means go ONEN. If you don't care about being "downtown" or have limited money. Security-Widefield is very nice. I've been through there several times. Some is great, some is not. I would certainly be willing to live there myself.

I decided to live on the North Side of town, because I like the amenities on this side. (The Sam's club, Costco, UCCS, proximity to Denver) If you live just South of woodmen near Powers there are some excellent values.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
I'm headed out to Co springs tomorrow for a place to rent- relocating from MD. It's just the hubby and I, with one on the way, an our two large dogs..which is the biggest limiting factor on our search. We prefer the feel of smaller community or country living, but as long as we've got a big yard and are near the outdoors, we're good. Have some options in D8, D49 and then D11 on Bella dr. Is that the good or bad area? Also we were going to look at one in D2- holly ridge..but I'm feeling like that may not be worthwhile? If you are aware of any rentals SFH willing to rent to two well-behaved large dogs (Alaskan malamute and German shepherd) an will be available march 1..please steer me their way!! Appreciate the help and excited to get out of MD and into CO!! Oh and range for rental: 1000-1400 (although higher end wed probably want some land or less neighbors for that price)

Old 02-15-2014, 01:54 PM

20,354 posts, read 37,893,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honuboy44 View Post
I'm headed out to Co springs tomorrow for a place to rent- relocating from MD. It's just the hubby and I, with one on the way, an our two large dogs..which is the biggest limiting factor on our search. We prefer the feel of smaller community or country living, but as long as we've got a big yard and are near the outdoors, we're good. Have some options in D8, D49 and then D11 on Bella dr. Is that the good or bad area? Also we were going to look at one in D2- holly ridge..but I'm feeling like that may not be worthwhile? If you are aware of any rentals SFH willing to rent to two well-behaved large dogs (Alaskan malamute and German shepherd) an will be available march 1..please steer me their way!! Appreciate the help and excited to get out of MD and into CO!! Oh and range for rental: 1000-1400 (although higher end wed probably want some land or less neighbors for that price)
Bella Dr looks fine per my google drive-by. For our regular peeps, it's off of Academy and Meadowland, just north of Austin Bluffs not far from Russell Middle School.

Honuboy, avoid D2 (Harrison Dist) as it has about the lowest rep around here. Not sure if you really want to pick a school district yet as the baby has yet to arrive and you'll probably find another area to live in by the time school starts.

Use ppar.com for rentals.

Where are the jobs located? Commuting here isn't a big deal like in the Baltimore area, but it still helps to shorten the commute.

I'm from Charm City, and miss the crabcakes at Snyders and Faidley's, but Ted's Montana Grill here now does a very commendable job with them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs