U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM

409 posts, read 559,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett O'Hara View Post
This is extremely helpful, thank you very much Carrera32, and the type of information I'm looking for. I also recently found out that Springs is twice as big (and change) as Madison, of which I had no idea! And bigger than Denver, mind you (not by much). I've looked on line for apartments and was wondering last night, good grief, were there even any decent places in the Springs area. I think I will try to call some property agents today and see if they have any good leads, continue the search.
Madison, Wisconsin? I grew up not far from there.

When trying to get an idea of the size of the Springs area, I looked at the entire statistical metropolitan area. It's *very* similar in population to the Madison area. The big difference is that here, Monument, Fountain, Widefield, etc. are much smaller than Middleton, Fitchburg, and the towns surrounding Madison. Springs is also very spread out, so the land area is bigger.

But if you know Madison, that should give you a good idea for how the size of the town will feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,719,755 times
On "Bella Dr" there are two parts to my knowledge. North of Saddlewood, and South of it. The part that is North of Saddlewood appears to be better taken care of (as evidenced by yard maintenance), but neither part actually looks dangerous. However, the area surrounding it involves some moderately unattractive areas, and some attractive areas.

The houses all appear to be in good shape. They are older houses, but I see no signs of neglect.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,328,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honuboy44 View Post
I'm headed out to Co springs tomorrow for a place to rent- relocating from MD. It's just the hubby and I, with one on the way, an our two large dogs..which is the biggest limiting factor on our search. We prefer the feel of smaller community or country living, but as long as we've got a big yard and are near the outdoors, we're good. Have some options in D8, D49 and then D11 on Bella dr. Is that the good or bad area? Also we were going to look at one in D2- holly ridge..but I'm feeling like that may not be worthwhile? If you are aware of any rentals SFH willing to rent to two well-behaved large dogs (Alaskan malamute and German shepherd) an will be available march 1..please steer me their way!! Appreciate the help and excited to get out of MD and into CO!! Oh and range for rental: 1000-1400 (although higher end wed probably want some land or less neighbors for that price)
I commend you for having a VERY realistic price range for your rental budget. You'll have good options in that range in my opinion and shouldn't have to settle for something sub-par.

Bella Dr doesn't look like a bad area to me, but it is NOT going to feel small town living. It's very suburban with big box everything and higher traffic Academy Blvd right nearby.

With your budget, you should not look at anything in D2. I only advise that area to people if they are used to living in rougher neighborhoods and really strapped for cash. There is no reason for you to consider that area.

D8 is Fountain and D49 is Falcon. Both of those areas have the "small town" vibe you're looking for, more than the stuff in the central part of the city. I live near Fountain (and always remember--the town Fountain, NOT the road Fountain...two different things in two different places) and I like it, and for about $1100-1200 you should be able to find a nice single family home to rent in the area. You get the small town feel but you can easily get to any amenities you may need. But job location is important...if you have an idea where you will be working, it will help you decide. It would be a pain to commute from Fountain clear up to, say, Briargate or points north.

And if you stay longterm, the Fountain area has good schools.

Both of those areas are a little further from the mountains, but the cool thing about that is you get a nice view of them.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:25 PM

21 posts, read 43,333 times
These forums are so great! My family used to visit Co. a lot (from the Utah side near Dino Park to Glenwood, to Grand Junction and all along the southern part as well as the Springs, Breckenridge,etc. , BUT haven't been there since the 70's so I know it's really changed and grown. Hubby and I have lived in the Sierra Nevada's(small logging town), and mountains of Az. (Prescott). We love high mountain desert and mountains but don't want deep snow and long, cold winters. Currently live on homestead in small rural Alaska(Willow) and are thinking of re-locating to the Springs area. We want out of the 50 below and 11 feet of snow. We will be heading down the Alcan in the very first of June and will buy a travel trailer to stay in while we scout around for a small home to buy. Are there any good KOA's or ? in your area? Are they open year round? How deep does the snow get and how long does it stay? In Prescott Az. you could get a few inches to a foot a year but the snow would last only a couple days. Are there rest areas where trailers can park overnight? I would like to live in a bungalow type house close to town, but we also wouldn't mind being a couple miles out. We are looking at $150,000 or less when we buy. Thanks for any info. Greys Creek Homestead

Old 03-08-2014, 05:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,710,850 times
Colorado Campround Guide, Colorado RV Park Guide
The above link may help you research some campgrounds. Outside of cities, many are summer season only - but that can extend into maybe early October. As for snow depth, depends a lot on elevation and how much drought we have that year. In Colorado Springs, there is rarely such a thing as snow staying beyond a few days. In the mountains it can get significantly deeper and in places stay for months, potentially. 150,000 is a bit on the low end for housing, but there is some inventory. Colorado Springs sounds a lot more urban that what you've been doing - you'll definitely want to investigate to make sure this is a good fit for you. But there are also tons of options all over the state you might discover and fall in love with.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 AM

666 posts, read 991,410 times
I like recreation.gov for researching state/national campgrounds. They have a nice map of the layout of sites and have pictures of a lot of the sites. Also tells you how big the parking spot is so you can be sure your rv will fit and other information about the area. You can reserve a place as well.

There are definitely some KOA style places open all year around just off 24 highway. And I know there is at least one in Woodland Park too.

We're talking about an area that has a LOT of rv action. On the weekends, 24 highway at the right time can seem like a huge convoy of rv's.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:14 AM

9,871 posts, read 6,328,413 times
It would also be helpful if you answered this question:

By "close to town" do you mean near downtown of a city like Colorado Springs, or do you mean on the fringes, kind of in the country, but close enough to easily pick up groceries?

There are smallish homes, from vintage bungalows near-ish to downtown Springs, to little ranch homes all over. The older part of Security-Widefield has a lot of what I refer to as "shoebox ranch" houses, and one thing I think many of the residents like is that there is no HOA and I believe it's unincorporated El Paso County, so you can get away with some stuff on your own property that you might not elsewhere.

Example: RV Parking. In my neighborhood (newer bigger housing in Security-Widefield), our HOA has a rule that you can only park an RV behind your privacy fence in your backyard, which is a pain depending on how you've got your fence and gates set up and whether you even have access for a vehicle that big. Over in the older part of Security-Widefield however, you can park however you like on your own property, no one is going to complain. Heck, one guy over on Main St. loves UFO's apparently, he's got a big one bolted to his roof with little lights around the edge of it...he's an oddball, but the point is...you can't do things like that in a lot of neighborhoods.

Security-Widefield is not high crime, but it is very working class and down to earth. To the south of there is Fountain (the town) and it has a very "small town" vibe. Both areas are high plains desert (we have tumbleweeds, and cacti) with good views of the mountains.

There might be other areas that may suit you better, but those I know more about so I speak to what I know. Your plan to come here, camp, and explore, is fantastic.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 480 times
Hey soon to be neighbors! My girlfriend and I are a couple of southeastern pioneers,who never met a Coloradan we didn't like,so we are moving there. It's just the 2 of us and our human-like Australian Shepard companion,and we are from Florida(the peehole of America)... We are ok living in lackluster areas temporarily,until we get our food truck business off the ground. My girl is a veterinary asst. and will be looking to work in her field,and i will run the business.We have a 33 foot R.V.and would like to park it on a property which we rent,and our budget is about $800/month at most. I know that is low,but i am okay with a little ghetto,because from the sound of it,it couldn't be any worse than Brevard County Florida. We plan on bringing alot of good food,commerce,and friendship to wherever our new community ends up being. We hope to meet,and feed all of you one day,until then.... ~Warmest Regards~ Ben&Melanie(4-ever)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs