U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from California View Post
Thanks everyone for the weather update and additional info.! My daughter was very excited to hear there's the possibility of some snow!

Mike - We're staying at the HYATT house on Delmonico Dr. 80919

Thanks, Janet
Okay, here are some eateries you may wish to hit, hopefully others will offer up some suggestions.

From the Hyatt, just across I-25 and a bit south is University Village (Costco, Lowes, etc). In here is a good seafood house (Bonefish Grill) a good Mexican place (Hacienda Colorado) plus a Panera Bread, Smashburger, Brew Pub and a few other places.

Up I-25 just 2-3 miles at exit 151 (Briargate Pkwy) is the Promenade Shops at Briargate. I like Ted's Montana Grill, Panera, and a few others.

Up I-25 at exit 153 (Interquest Pkwy) is the Colorado Mountain Brewery with excellent pub food and good brews. Never had a bad meal here; love the Fish and Chips and the French Dip.

Off N. Nevada on Jamboree Dr is Saltgrass Steak House where we go often for steaks.

There are tons more choices all over.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
The Which 'Wich at University Village is wonderful!!!!!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from California View Post
My husband, 11 year old daughter, Bichipoo, "Muffy" (my daughter said I needed to include our dog ) and I are moving from the Bay Area (Sunnyvale--I think "Tree Donkey" is from Sunnyvale, too, if I recall) in California to COS in the Spring of 2015!!!
I don't know about "Tree Donkey" but my wife and I moved here from Sunnyvale well over 5 years ago and haven't looked back. Since we moved here, we've had two children, seen old friends pass away, embraced new ones arriving, bought a new car, elaborately landscaped our entire property and made many, many upgrades inside our home. A lot of change, to say the least, pretty much all for the better. We love living here, but we don't actually live in Springs, we live north of it, outside of Monument. We love the quiet country life that we can have here while still being relatively close to big city amenities. Colorado Springs is good for some things, but we usually go toward Denver instead for things like the hospital, airport, sports, outlet shopping, and whenever else it makes sense. For us, COS is relegated mostly to Costco trips, the DMV and passing through on the way to Hwy 24/50 and the high country beyond. The city also has some fine tourist spots, most famously Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak. I'm not a big fan of COS as a city. I find it kind of dumpy in a lot of areas, not very diverse, badly congested for its size, and it has somewhat midwestern-feeling to me, compared to Denver and cities out west. However, it's a friendly enough town overall and has some of the most stunning mountain views you will ever see from within a city, at least in the lower 48 US.

The things we miss the most about CA are:
1) Ethnic diversity: we had many friends from places like Africa, China, Korea, Eastern Europe and of core latin and south america. We miss the cultural richness they brought to the area and lent directly to us, and of course we miss their...
2) Food: Especially the really authentic ethnic things like Korean BBQ, Krung Thai, and of course fresh seafood (Bonefish doesn't cut it, sorry, and neither does the 'Seafood' buffet at Cheyenne Mtn Resort... but I am admittedly a seafood snob).
3) Weather: Sort of, but not very often. I don't mind the cold and get outright giddy whenever it snows (which is not nearly often or plentiful enough for me) Still, there are days, usually in March, April and May, when I wish we could get that reliably mild weather to come in and extend our easygoing outdoor lives by a double of months. I also get really tired of the wind sometimes, which seems to be wretchedly present quite often in just about any month of the year.

I still would not go back, even if I could afford there what I have here. Honestly, I do go back to visit often for work and/or family, and I'm always ready to come home after a few days, even in the middle of winter. We've found ways to substitute the things we miss:
We have a great group of friends with really interesting backgrounds and even some ethnic diversity.
We have found a few decent restaurants to help us get our fix when we need it and make up the rest when we go back out to CA for a visit, but mostly we cook at home, which is a lot more pleasant with young kids anyways.
Inaccessibility of fresh seafood has ALMOST been made up for by the grass-fed 1/4 beef we get from a neighbor's ranch each year. We raise bees and get fresh eggs from family/friends here, and we make a lot of our own foodstuff like sausage, bread and cheese.
We enjoy the weather for what it is and find ways to enjoy the colder months.
We try hard to always keep a positive attitude, remembering that no place is perfect and appreciating what we have here.

Overall, it's a good life, and we will probably never leave, at least not permanently. This is our home now and we feel deeply rooted here, even though my wife and I are not technically 'natives' (but my kids may be, by some definitions). That said, if anyone ever invents an affordable time machine so that I can move back to the west coast in the 40's, 50's, 60's or earlier, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:34 AM

26 posts, read 24,341 times
We returned home to CA from our visit to COS late Monday afternoon. We had a wonderful time and this visit confirmed our decision to move there in the Spring of 2015! Where do I start? LOVED everything about your wonderful city--from the beautiful mountains, clean air which my lungs loved since I have asthma, the friendly people, the charming neighborhoods downtown, the open spaces and much, much less traffic than the Bay Area where we live. Our realtors showed us homes in the Briargate area, zip codes 80918 and 80923. We could have easily placed an offer on any three of the properties we looked at out of six! When we returned home, I immediately noticed a haze of smog slightly obscuring the view of our mountains. It's been there, but I hadn't really noticed it before, until we saw the "clear" view of your mountains in COS! Thanks everyone for suggesting in other threads of the importance of wearing sunscreen, packing lotion and chapstick due to the dry air and higher altitude! And to take it easy due to the higher altitude. My daughter was laughing when I went up a flight of stairs at the "American Furniture Warehouse" and had to catch my breath and sit down on one of their couches for a couple of minutes. BTW, thanks so much Mike from back east about the advice to bring as little as possible of your belongings when you move and to buy stuff when you get to COS. That's just what we're going to do and why I was checking out that furniture store you suggested Mike!

sonic_spork - We viewed that gorgeous "fire in the sky show of a sunset" you described when we were heading back to our hotel in Rockrimmon from the "eastern fringes of town". Wow!!! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, too, with all your helpful info.! Much appreciated!

Mike - We ate lunch at the Colorado Mountain Brewery and boy, were you right! The french dip with prime rib was the best I've ever tasted! My daughter LOVED it, too! My husband enjoyed the Bison Burger! That is going to be one of my "regular" eateries once we move there. Our realtor treated us to lunch at "Poor Richards" downtown and the house salad and pizza were delicious, so much so, that when we were headed to "Which 'Wich" suggested by otowi, we decided to have lunch at Poor Richards again. So, when we move there next year, we'll definitely try "Which 'Wich" and the other suggestions on this forum!

otterprods - Our family was delighted to read that you and your wife are from our hometown! We're excited about creating new memories and forming new friendships, too, when we move to COS. I know we're going to miss the rich, ethnic diversity we've enjoyed here in the Bay Area, too. We've been very blessed all these years. My 11 yo daughter was disappointed that she only saw one Asian person during our 5 day visit. I encouraged her to hang in there and when we actually move there, we'll attend a Korean church with an English-speaking service I found online. Our realtor informed us, also that there is a large adoption community that will probably have families that have adopted internationally from an Asian country. So glad to hear, Otterprods, that you and your family are enjoying your life there and what you described--the great group of friends you have there, the fresh eggs, homemade bread, etc., sounds wonderful and a great environment for your children to grow up in! And, our family, too, got "downright giddy" when it started snowing in COS on Monday!

Thanks so much everyone for all your help!!!! And GO Broncos on Sunday!

Blessings, Janet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs