U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 PM

18,864 posts, read 8,860,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Your mileage may vary, but I've been here for ten years and the politics has finally wore me out. That and the lack of good food and "culture." I hope to move within the next year or two.
Me, too, and I've only been here 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 AM

1,765 posts, read 1,976,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alybri View Post
Lurtsman - traffic is one reason we are seriously considering leaving Seattle! It's AWFUL here... I work 8 miles from home and it takes me 30-45 minutes to commute!!
Yes, traffic here has actually gotten better over the past several years. Nothing like the I-5/405 mess in or around Seattle. I live in Mountain Shadows (9 miles NW from work) and if I make all the lights I can be at my downtown office in 16 minutes during rush.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I've never lived somewhere that I felt had a better culture. However, my list of places is limited, and I moved here only after knowing that I liked the culture. Since I'm not a foodie, the lack of spectacular food options hasn't bothered me as much. Instead, I have some annoying and severe food allergies, so I prefer to eat what my wife has cooked rather than risk the evening

Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,404,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Was there some evidence the slashed tire had something to do with the Obama sticker? Her car might have looked similar to a car driven by some psycho's ex. Maybe it was mistaken identity?

Note: This is why I have no bumper stickers.
I doubt it, considering her car has a California licence plate on it.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM

553 posts, read 1,414,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Your mileage may vary, but I've been here for ten years and the politics has finally wore me out. That and the lack of good food and "culture." I hope to move within the next year or two.
See my list in the 'where to eat in Colorado Springs' thread. If you're not happy with the food in our fair community, you won't be happy anywhere else. Either that, or you're not trying.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
I've found more excellent food options than in many places I've lived including the Pacific NW (but I don't care for seafood or vegetarian fare, so the local cuisine was wasted on me. I'm a steak and taters girl, all the way!!) As for culture...you should have heard the chorus of jealous "I wish my hometown was that cool!" when I posted pics of the Coffin Races (and my winning coffin, athankyouverymuch) on Facebook. This is a more happening place than people give it credit for, IMO.

I do miss WA a bit. Mostly because Mount Rainier is much more spectacular than our mountains, it's isolated and you view it from sea level, whereas ours might be as tall but we see them from an elevation halfway up. And I miss the lush greenery that can only flourish with all that rain. I got used to the gloom and rain eventually. The plant life here just plain isn't as awesome. It's been hard for me to adapt to the dryness. I still don't really like it.

I don't think we have quite as much in-your-face arts type culture as the NW has, but it's here if you look for it. This ain't Des Moines, Iowa that's for sure...

Old 02-10-2014, 11:35 AM

727 posts, read 1,134,823 times
Strongly agree with Maynerd and Sonic. There are plenty of good locally owned restaurants and his list is spot on. As for culture, it depends on your definition of "culture," of course, but you only have to scratch the surface a bit and you'll find plenty it. We have an outstanding Philharmonic with a world class musical director/conductor. I don't think you'll find a better one in any community of this size. Check out Stargazers and Black Sheep for live music. Between the two of them (and others I'm not as tuned into) you find a pretty wide range of styles and genres. Stargazers is locally owned and operated and put on a fair number of free entertainment throughout the year as well as donating their facility for a lot of civic events (e.g., city council candidate debates). There's UCCS Theatreworks and Milibo (by the new Ivywild facility) for stage plays. There are plenty of galleries in OCC and downtown. There are plenty cultural activities at Colorado College, including an excellent summer music festival, where world class performers and conductors hold seminars for the students, and have performances open to the public. There's a summer indie film festival that CC has hosted (not sure they're still doing it). Kimball's movie theater still gets the "small" films that don't appeal to the multiplex crowd. What we don't have is a dedicated theater and arts district per se, hence my comment on scratching the surface a bit. And then there's Manitou, but Sonic covered that (congrats on your coffin race victory). So, Lalahartma, get out there and scratch that surface...you'll find plenty of local culture.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times
Also we are smack between Pueblo and Denver!

Pueblo has some cool visual arts stuff from what I hear. And isn't there an events center for some of the big (expensive) musicals and Cirque du Soleil type stuff? (which we also get some of at the World Arena)

And Denver's got the draw for the bigger concert venues and sporting events and whatnot.

It's not difficult to visit either of 'em from here.

Another thing I found really cool compared to the NW is that up there, it feels like you're in a bubble, it's a hassle to cross the mountain passes to do road trips anywhere. Here, it's no big deal to trek down to Albuquerque, or out across Kansas (although it's boring crossing Kansas, there is stuff on the other side!) I just find that road tripping, which I enjoy very much, is a less daunting prospect on this side of the Rockies.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 PM

409 posts, read 557,836 times
This is pretty much what we were looking for! I'm more liberal, and my husband more conservative. Though we somehow manage to agree on everything - not sure how that works out.

WRT religion and politics... I think a lot of it depends on what part of town you're in, and how much being embedded socially with your neighbors matters to you. Seems to me that downtown, the west side, and maybe parts of Cheyenne Mountain area are more liberal. Or at least, less religious.

We were also looking for a walkable, older neighborhood, with shops, good schools, etc. There's a whole thread I started on it where we went in depth on Old North End Neighborhood (ONEN) - maybe you can dig it up. ONEN (north of downtown a bit) has Steele elementary, which is very well rated. Some of the other schools in that area aren't quite as well rated, but I've heard good things about them. I think most of us are pretty aware that ratings really just reflect the income of the parents in the district. Old North End definitely has that leafy green, walkable, friendly vibe to it. One thing, though, that I realized, is that most of it really is pretty far in walking distance from services and shops. There's a Safeway shopping center on the north end of the neighborhood, and a coffee shop on the south east end, but really, not much else.

Old Colorado City is also leafy, walkable, and I think has a lot more to offer with shops, dining, etc., than ONEN. However, the houses are generally smaller, and it's less upscale. The schools also don't have great ratings. Though, there's a Waldorf charter school (publicly funded - free) in the neighborhood that just opened in the last couple of years. If you're liberal and crunchy, that might be just right for you. There is also school choice, but that *does* mean transporting your kids to the school you want and can get into.

Manitou really has it all, walkability, good schools, liberalness, shops and shopping, but again, the houses are smaller, the lots are small and steep, and traffic can be an issue.

We ended up nowhere near where we thought we'd end up. I dreamed of ONEN. Manitou was second, OCC looked awesome. We looked all over the west side, and down in D12 (Cheyenne Mountain area). We have hobbies - I needed a sewing space and my husband needed a woodworking shop, and we just couldn't find what we wanted in budget (<$400k) at that time.

Now, we're in the Greyhawk area of NorthGate on the north end of town, even beyond Briargate. It's more religious and conservative than I'd prefer, but really, it's ok. We have a neighborhood facebook group, and while some people are really REALLY open about their religion (on their personal pages), I keep my politics and religion to myself. There are people with all sorts of different beliefs and political points of view in the neighborhood. Most everybody, even those who are strongly one thing or another, are live and let live with everybody else. My kids play with kids whose parents have a variety of beliefs and philosophies, and it hasn't been any problem so far. We do also have plenty of friends who are not tied to our neighborhood, through hobbies and such, and that really helps. I don't need to talk politics across the fence.

As far as walkability, in some ways, this neighborhood is more walkable than Old North End. We're a couple blocks from a fast food joint, a Mexican restaurant, a nail place, soon-to-be urgent care center, and soon-to-be pediatric dentist. There are open lots zoned for restaurants and small grocery. Bass Pro and the new Bourbon Brothers restaurant are a 15 minute walk. Eventually, there's supposed to be a whole shopping center across Voyager, within 15 - 20 minutes of a walk from here. So... Not "typical" walkable, but another option that might interest you. We're also thrilled with Da Vinci Academy, the arts integration elementary school that we're zoned for.

Anyway, I hope that covers it. I got lengthy, since you're pretty much looking for just what I was looking for. Let me know if I can help. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2014, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 12,629 times
Everyone has had great information! We are visiting this weekend (thru Wed) and are going to check out all of the places mentioned. You've all helped me get more excited about Colorado Springs... I really appreciate it! Oh, and I feel the need to clarify (based on a note from Charlotte RJ)... although I'm liberal, I'm NOT crunchy I know a lot of "crunchies" around Seattle and that's one way I often don't fit in here - ha!

Anyway, thanks to all for the great info! I'm excited to check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or