U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 AM

9,734 posts, read 6,265,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alybri View Post
Everyone has had great information! We are visiting this weekend (thru Wed) and are going to check out all of the places mentioned. You've all helped me get more excited about Colorado Springs... I really appreciate it! Oh, and I feel the need to clarify (based on a note from Charlotte RJ)... although I'm liberal, I'm NOT crunchy I know a lot of "crunchies" around Seattle and that's one way I often don't fit in here - ha!

Anyway, thanks to all for the great info! I'm excited to check it out!
THIS weekend? You picked a great time! The weather is supposed to be AWESOME.

Let me tell ya, while I know you're coming to scope out possible places to live and all that, if you have time you should pay a visit to Manitou Springs. So far, it's my favorite place to just...go. You'll be able to pick up a couple little souvenirs or local art to take back home if you want, the food options are neat, the shops are delightful, and there is just something...I can't explain it well...but it feels neat up there. If I had anyone visit me here in the Springs I'd make sure to take them there.

Oh, and I had a bison burger at the Stagecoach Inn that was deeelisssshhhhusssss.... mmm....

But I learned the hard way about lowlanders and going up the mountain. Do NOT take the train or drive or whatever up to the top of Pikes Peak. You'll get altitude sickness and it can ruin your trip. Just don't do it! Wait until you've lived here a few months to try going up there, that's my advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,701,296 times
^ Everything Sonic said, except I haven't been to the stagecoach.

I may need to schedule a date night to take my wife there.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
^ Everything Sonic said, except I haven't been to the stagecoach.

I may need to schedule a date night to take my wife there.
I think it might be better to do a lunch date on a sunny day. They have a cute little balcony/patio thing with I believe a little creek flowing by below. Better atmosphere outside, IMO. Probably cheaper at lunch too. They USED to have bison ribeye steaks but I hear they quit offering those. Which is sad. But they're pricey, I imagine if they didn't sell enough it simply would be a problem if they had to waste any, ya know? Still. Bison burgers. ^.^

Need to get to the Craftwood Inn sometime, I hear great things about that place. Lots of interesting game meat, IIRC.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM

727 posts, read 1,134,823 times
Craftwood is wonderful. Special occasion kind of place. You're right. Lots of interesting choices.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 5,682 times
You will really enjoy The Springs. I visit often from Alabama (extremely conservative) and COS seems very much middle of the road to me. Wish I were moving there!!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,423 times
Just thought I'd weigh in. Good to hear that there are a few liberal areas of cos. My wife and I are moving there to be closer to our son and his family (we're both recently retired). I have been to the Unitarian Church there and I suppose I'll find a few free thinkers there. One thing that I like about the Springs is that I can afford to live close to downtown. I've always wanted to live somewhere with a high walkability index and the old north side seems to fit the bill. The fact that some people consider some areas of town more liberal than others is somewhat encouraging. I wouldn't have found this forum if I hadn't been searching the topic. We have been looking at homes online for months and have narrowed our search down to a few areas with the old north end as our first choice. Of course our new neighbors could be conservative... or just *******s.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy56 View Post
Just thought I'd weigh in. Good to hear that there are a few liberal areas of cos. My wife and I are moving there to be closer to our son and his family (we're both recently retired). I have been to the Unitarian Church there and I suppose I'll find a few free thinkers there. One thing that I like about the Springs is that I can afford to live close to downtown. I've always wanted to live somewhere with a high walkability index and the old north side seems to fit the bill. The fact that some people consider some areas of town more liberal than others is somewhat encouraging. I wouldn't have found this forum if I hadn't been searching the topic. We have been looking at homes online for months and have narrowed our search down to a few areas with the old north end as our first choice. Of course our new neighbors could be conservative... or just *******s.
Whatever your new neighbors' political proclivities, I bet they'll be nice. Most folks here are.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 PM

18,883 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Whatever your new neighbors' political proclivities, I bet they'll be nice. Most folks here are.
I don't find people here to be any nicer or grumpier than anywhere else I've lived (NYS, Maryland, Virginia), except perhaps superficially.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 PM

666 posts, read 987,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't find people here to be any nicer or grumpier than anywhere else I've lived (NYS, Maryland, Virginia), except perhaps superficially.
Huh, I honestly think the people here are not only nicer than all the places I've lived but also hardly any of it seems fake. I'm use to people acting nice with an agenda. Here, people just seem to be basically more friendly and less self absorbed. If I remember right, you want to move from here. So I have to assume your feelings of Co Sps are a bit tainted at the moment.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,678,903 times
It does seem when people are unhappy for whatever reason that colors how they experience everyone and everything around them. I'm a native here so it is a bit hard for me to compare friendliness here with elsewhere - down south people seem very friendly ( some of them anyway) on my short trips there but I take it as 'manners' of that area and maybe a bit different from completely genuine - but no reason some of it isn't genuine. To me the northeast is very unfriendly/rude at the outset but once you get past the rough exterior there's more to it. And Canadians seem to be good hosts. Here to me people seem friendly but mostly in a bit of a distant kind of way - but that's big open west culture - you don't step into someone's face unless you're invited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or